07 GS Adv Dies after start up

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by John Harden, Mar 6, 2010.

1. John Harden

John Harden Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weird problem has developed where the bike starts up just fine when cold, then runs for about 30 seconds and dies. To restart, I have to hold the throttle all the way open.

It will do this 3-4 times unless I keep the rpm's up over 2,500 until it warms up. After it warms up, it's fine.

Almost as if the auto choke is malfunctioning.

Bike is in desperate need of a valve adjustment as its been 2-3 oil changes without one.

Bike has 50,000 miles on it.

Any suggestions? I could always take it to the dealer, but that is a bit inconvenient.

Regards,

JOhn
  2. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Dirty air filter along with the neglect of no valve adjust/tb synch will make it run like crap, might be your problem. :dunno
  3. John Harden

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Air filter is fine as I replaced it recently. Bike runs very smooth once it is warm.

I'll be changing the oil and will check the valve spacing and do a TB synch i needed. It also needs new brake pads, so I'll put them on today. Can't complain as the original ones have lasted 50K miles!!!

Regads,

John
  4. Drif10

Oddometer:
    In that 50k, it needed a valve adjust every 6k, so you missed quite a few. When valves wear, they get seated in, reducing clearances. So if yours got tight enough, it could be keeping a valve open just enough to make it run like crap, and of course once it warms up and the tolerances change, could be your source of evil. Won't know until you adjust them and balance the throttle bodies.

With any luck, that's it, and you haven't burned a valve.
  5. John Harden

Oddometer:
    It was the valves. Quick oil change, cleaned the plugs and adjusted the valves and it starts, stays running and is very smooth.

Regards,

John
  6. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Sweet. :clap

Don't forget the tb synch, she'll run silky smooth once you do. :D
  7. John Harden

Oddometer:
    Crap. That's the one thing I forgot. I'll break out the synch thing (can't remember name) and do it tomorrow.

Regards,

John
  8. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the valves were tight enough to keep it from starting, Id be inclined to at least do a compression test if not a cylinder leakdown. For the valves to be tight enough to cause the starting issue means that they were being held open so much that the compression ration was significantly reduced. Since generally it's the exhaust valves that tend to lose clearance, combustion was probably making its way past the valves constantly. At some point, it's going to erode a fissure in the valve head. This becomes progressive and if your lucky, that cylinder quits making power. If your unlucky, the head of the valve comes off and you become familiar with the term catastrophic failure.

This scenario isn't a certainty but it is possible so that's I would check the compression and cylinder leakage percentage.
  9. John Harden

Oddometer:
  10. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. John Harden

Oddometer: