East of Phoenix Rider's Group

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 750Volts!, Oct 21, 2010.

1. 750Volts!

750Volts! Gone

Oddometer:
    ?
    beemerbum55, refokus and Jeff brown like this.
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Who is this Buster character you speak of? Whatever the case, I was just thinking the same thing this morning. I like the good people over at the SWDRC but meeting up there is kind of a PIA.

I'm sure we can figure out something to do in this side of town. Something maybe like this:

[​IMG]

:lol3
  3. Fishnbait

Fishnbait Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New guy here, but not new to riding in the Flo, Kelvin, Cochran area. I like the idea of meeting at San Tan Flats, but anywhere in this part of town would be fine. Afternoons and evenings during the week works for me sometimes, with notice.

Subscribed to see how this pans out.
  4. Buster452

Buster452 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very funny CyberDos. This group might work out well for you. Maybe you'll get more evidence..er..crash pictures. :smile6

After talking with Paul last night, I think this group might be a good compliment to other groups in the valley.

Geographical Location:
    There doesn't seem to be much in the east valley for group get togethers.

Types of riding:
    • More of a focus on the aspects of Adventure Touring rather than dual-sport.
    • Rides that involve a bit of state highway riding mixed in with graded dirt roads.
    • Rides that n00b's and bikes bigger than 650cc's would be comfortable doing.
    • No worries about being left behind or slowing others down. Take the time to see where we're riding and actually "touring".
    Some thoughts about specific rides
    I could see us organizing various rides that could come together in the culmination of one big ride. IE, explore sections that could be put together into one multi-day ride later in the year.

Weeknight/Evening rides on Florence-Kelvin or Apache Trail (ie, some wednesday night?)
    These could be an opportunity for those with family or other commitments on weekends to get out and ride. The could also be an excellent opportuntiy to test lighting farkles on safe well known paths.

Highway 288 Globe-Young-Heber Highway
    When it's not raining, this would be an easy big noob bike friendly ride. A bit if highway to get there/back and a good chunk of dirt roads to ride. A mix that represents the type of riding Paul and I discussed last night. More of an "Adventure Touring" pavement/dirt combo.

FR300???
    How much of this could be done on a 1200GS sized bike? What about the section from heber to show low?

Southern Arizona Graded Dirt
    My old stomping grounds witha 4x4. There are a ton of nice graded roads that go to interesting places in Southern Arizona. Duqesne, Arivaca, Gardner Canyon, Parker Canyon, San Pedro River Road, Back road up Mt. Lemmon, Over the Santa Rita mountains. Plenty of interesting rides for traversing highway miles comfortably on a big bike and then explore some dirt roads.

Merge all the rides together
    Throw in a mix of camping and hotels to stitch all the rides together;
    1. Friday night ride Apache Trail to camp by Roosevelt Lake at the start of 288.
    2. Saturday north on 288 towards heber and follow FR300 into Show Low and sleep.
    3. Sunday carve up the Salt River canyon back into globe. Maybe jump over to Kelvin and ride the Florence-Kelvin Highway back to Florence and eventually home.

We could even stitch together some rides to get into Southern Arizona.
    Flo-Kelvin, Barkerville/Freeman into DudleyVille.
    DudleyVille to Mammoth to catch Cascabel/San Pedro River Rd into Benson or maybe up the back of Mt. Lemmon and down the front into Tucson.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself. Picture lazy graded dirt road rides on bikes that have 12v accessories and saddle bags/boxes. Riding highways to get there that need you to be able to sustain at least 70mph for 1-2 hours (Interstates suck, so who needs 75mph) and then turn onto a dirt road to continue for another couple hours.

Anyone interested?
    EricSrider, Gillies and hey it's pete like this.
  5. Buster452

Oddometer:
    And another thought after looking at Fishnbait's name.

Do motorcycling and fishing go together? I seem to recall azweasie mentioning doing something like.

Hrmm, ride the 288 globe-young-heber highway up to Woods Canyon or Willow Springs Lake?
  6. azweasie

azweasie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey buster and whoo lee oh hows it going dudes! id like to try to meet up with you guys ,though i work till 7 pmish. ive done the fr300 in its entirety from show low to north of strawberry its cake, just gotta watch for penis trucks "jacked up giant 4 wheel drive trucks". Buster that young road is a bit tougher than the 7 springs bloody basin loop but very pretty scenery and fun ,might be real fun doing it on a wed. nite:evil. sounds fun keep us posted:deal
  7. azweasie

azweasie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fly fishing and motorcycles are 2 of my 3 favorite things :evil, combined they are "ALMOST" more fun than the other :eek1
  8. Buster452

Oddometer:
    Wow, 288 must've gone downhill since I was last there. I drove it about 4 years ago in a suburban and thought the road was really nice.

It wasn't really that 7 springs/bloody basin was bad, as I was bad. Hence, the above picture. I have slightly more experience on dirt roads and now have slightly better tires. Still, have that camera ready whoo lee oh. :-D
  9. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    You did well that day. A lot of riders would've turned around and quit. you kept at it and that's what the spirit of ADV riding should be about. here's a better pic of that day.

[​IMG]

I'm down for whatever if it involves two wheels. I just have limited time on my hands as I juggle the fam life with my moto adventures. But I'll be paying attention and willing to help with anything I can.
  10. gdspdblkdemperor

gdspdblkdemperor Captain Bavaria

Oddometer:
    Well hot damn. This is the type of riding I'll be doing till I finish my FrankenZoë project (Drz 400 frame with a DR350 motor bored to a 434) I might just have to throw some knobbies on my K75 and come riding with y'all. FR300 is very do-able on a 1200GS...at the last camp CrozB, we had one couple ride their GS two-up. While I've become even more involved and taken over more responsibility with the SWDSRC, I'd still like to come meet you folks and go for some nice touring rides. Granted, I live in Glendale, but the 60+ miles riding out to Mesa/Gilbert area is just a warm-up lap anyway. :evil

Hope to meet some of you folks soon!

-Chris
  11. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    U can run a Ford Focus on FR300 with bad tires and bad suspensions :lol3 and still do great.
    That's a good idea 750Volts to get z east ridez to join together maybe if u arrange ur meeting to me in Chandler or not too far east this way maybe some ridez from z west side can join u too. Just respectefully suggested.
  12. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    288 is hit or miss. It gets tough when there have been rains. Like right now, it has to be a muddy mess out there. Plus when the river takes over it TAKES OVER. You can either man up and cross it and risk losing your bike in the process or turn around if you have a tank big enough to do so. When dry, it's cakewalk.
  13. Buster452

Oddometer:
  14. GEEEE..S..BILL

GEEEE..S..BILL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fishin bait is a fakey name..real name is stinkin bait!:lol3 I'll follow along. Got some other guys that ride that dont read here. Feelin better. VF blood test came back negative...I wonder what we have? Doc has no clue.
  15. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Yes. A-cross. Thought that was the loop you guys were talking about. I don't think I've ever followed 288 all the way up.
  16. Fishnbait

Fishnbait Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First post and you still found me. OK, I have also been called Stinknbait.

Now on to ridding. Only have the 400 for dirt rides right now, but the Concours is for sale and then who knows. All the rides that have been discussed sound great except the overnighters. Family and work come first. Things seem to be panning out. Will keep watching this thread.
  17. GEEEE..S..BILL

Oddometer:
    Why not call up a meet and greet...again. San Tan Flat is a cool place. Theres a decent coffee shop in Queen Creek that has good food. Cheaper than STF but not all cowboyed up..and no camp fire, no alcohol either.
  18. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    288 to Young paved about 1/3 of the way and super wide and smooth the rest of the way. The only river crossing has a bridge (over the salt). If you have the time make the side trip to Workman Falls. It's a beautiful ride.

-dod
  19. GEEEE..S..BILL

Oddometer:
    The 288 river crossing.....

[​IMG]
  20. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in.

Where are we going?

Also, there is a pretty active group (AARG) which does much of what you described. Last weekend was 500 miles of dirt & slab with a stop in the Chihuahuas for camping. Good times.

http://www.meetup.com/ADVENTURERIDERS/