BMW Navigator GPS on GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by labenske, Oct 7, 2011.

1. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here, but for tax reasons I'll wait for 2014 to order it for tax reasons.
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    So, I ran into limitation of the Nav V over the weekend. I spent a bunch of time creating a fairly complex one day Route to follow. Part of the route was created from a track where I had stumbled across roads that I wanted to take again sometime. The rest I added in BaseCamp with the insert tool (pencil icon) to make it into a loop.

Apparently, imported track points become Via Points when imported to to a route. It wouldn't matter except the Nav V has an arbitrary Via Point limit of 29! So, my route was split into three routes on the Nav V! :baldy How stupid is it to not even be able to have a route in one piece for a day's ride?

Even worse, when in BaseCamp and I look at the Route detail dialog and right-click a Via Point and select "do not alert - shaping point" the software doesn't really change it to a Shaping Point, so I still hit the 29 Via Point limit.

If anyone else finds this limitation silly or frustrating, I urge you to contact both Garmin and BMW about it. Garmin built the Nav V to BMW's specs, but I suspect they never thought about this item.
  3. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Well, this is really weird. I just did a test. I pushed the route to the Nav again, and it came out as a single route!

Since my initial post about this, I have exited BaseCamp and re-entered it. Is it possible that the Via Points did not actually change to Shaping Points until the application closed?
  4. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After more than a month waiting, my Navigator V finally arrived to my dealer. Can't wait to put my hands on it.

:clap
  5. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like BaseCamp was still in edit mode when you uploaded the first route and didn't save the properties of the route when you first uploaded it. That would be my first guess.

I would click on another list within BaseCamp to give that item focus and then back to that route or back to the route that you had just edited and then upload it to the device. Then see if the incident is repeatable.
  6. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Very interesting thought. I may do that kind of experiment sometime. Thanks for the idea.
  7. herrdirektor

herrdirektor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    So overall I came to the understanding that a Nav 5 should be part of the stable. Especially for the larger screen with more pixels. However, I didn't hear much about issues with the MP3/Audio function. My Nav IV is a poor performer. MP3/Nav experiences hiccups with pairing and with the sound. I use two different BT adapters and get the same stupid behaviour from the unit. Usually the "fun" start after half an hour of music with increasing interrupts until the audio simply stops. Switching the unit off/on helps for a while. I do not believe that it is just the SD card (used several types/several speeds) or the way the files are named after decreasing the bit rate with a converter. In the end it is a lot of trouble to get something such as basic as playing MP3's to work. I don't want to go through this ever again and will not accept crappy functionality from a zillion euro navigation device. Especially when it pretends to offer more functionality than many other, cheaper devices lacking this.
    I have cut my losses and use it for navigation only (without voice prompts). The rest goes through an ipod/iphone remote. There is even a plus side of this; you don't have to switch pages from the Map view to Mediaplayer to skip music or search files. Not a big thing, but it is an extra distraction on top of listening to music in the first place. :D

So to finish my final plea is that I will install a Nav IV mount on my R80, beside already having a mount on my LC. This way I can use one unit on two bikes. In the mean time I will await the first few software updates of the Nav 5 and seriously hope to hear what owners of the new unit have to say on the (improved?) functionality in terms of Apps and Music performance. Anyone hit a snag yet with high bitrates 192+ or long file names ????? Anyone ??? Come out, come out, wherever you are! :lol3
  8. pebe

pebe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

Nav5 not yet available in Belgium but I'm intending to get one to replace the crap Mp3 functionality of the Nav4...

9. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Liking mine thus far (all of one hour lol) and need to spend more time with it. I find the integration with the motorcycle (brain) to be one of its best features....pretty cool.

[​IMG]
  10. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is €812. I'll probably end up buying one in germany for around €600.
  11. herrdirektor

Oddometer:
    693,- Euro in NL, but this is for the LC and K1600. (No mount required).
    But still I'm not convinced yet.... Need more info on the mediaplayer (issues, if any).
  12. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with my Nav-IV and was eager to replace it with the Nav-V knowing that if it exhibited the same problems I would quickly return it for a refund.
    I've had the Nav-V since introduction with nearly 4k miles on it and have not had any MP3 or BT issues, it is a joy to use in comparison to the Nav-IV which was a waste of money.
    My only small gripe wit hthe V is that even though the screen is much improved I still wish that it was brighter, although it is very usable and nice for the most part.
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Have you experimented with the different map "themes"? Although they do not change the screen brightness, I find that some are easier for my aging eyes to see than others. Currently using "Ostereich".
  14. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

Other than just thumbing through the various screens while fiddling with the unit I have not used anything other than the default Garmin screen.
    I have the Nav-V on my desk here and have switched it over to Ostereich, I'll see how it works.
    I spent most of the time with the 16 segment My Motorcycle page up for its entertainment value.
  15. herrdirektor

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for your valuable input. Starting to save for the V early 2014 :D:D:D:D:D
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I like "track up", 2D map view, no 3D shading, and the Ostereich or maybe one of the other themes. I find that the better contrast between the roads and the rest of the terrain allows me to visually grasp what I am seeing faster.
  17. despistao

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it also Works this way on the Navigator V (I hope to have it tomorrow) but, in my car Garmin device, wich has similar features, I can also keep the 3D view but avoid the shading wich, sometimes, is disturbing. Specially when riding slowly through a road on the shaded side of a mountain.

I just go to Maps and Vehicle / My Maps and uncheck the DEM map, wich is the one that adds the shading effect in order to simulate the 3D terrain
  18. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Recently I picked up a used GS with a Nav IV mount on it. When I ask the dealer if I could buy a Nav IV unit he said that I could not and also I could not mount a Nav V unit on my Nav IV mount.

Instead he sold me an older Zumo that he had in his used equipment draw.

When mounted behind the windshield is the Zumo water proof enough such that I can be used in the rain?
  19. despistao

Oddometer:
    Any Zumo unit is as waterproof as any similar Navigaor unit as the Navigator units are, in fact, Garmin zumo devices with a different look and few software differences. E.g., the Navigator IV is just a Zumo 660 with few cosmetic changes
  20. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

I always run 2D with Track Up, it just seems more intuitive and less complicated, it should be the default if you ask me.

Your dealer's full of beans (who'd of thunk).

Ebay's littered with Nav-IV's and the Nav-V will fit the IV's mount it's just a little tight.

Get your money back for the Zumo and get a V, you'll like it as long as it doesn't put you in the poor house.