Northeastern Minnesota

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by arrowhead rider, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    :becca It's a whiteout down here at Thomson. A god damn whiteout!

I.L.O.V.E.S.N.O.W.I.L.O.V.E.S.N.O.W.I.L.O.V.E.S.N.O.W.I.L.O.V.E.S.N.O.W.
  2. cman

cman cman

Oddometer:
    That looks like an awesome place. Think that's where we will head. Thanks for the info.:freaky
  3. Gbusk11

Gbusk11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was driving back from a day trip to Duluth yesterday. Coming down the backside of Thompson Hill during the whiteout, three 18 wheels were stuck on the rd. The entire northbound lane of 35 was obstructed with traffic backed up for nearly a mile and building.

At Mahtowa, I saw a plow truck in the ditch. I have never seen that before. There is little to no sign of spring in Duluth.
  4. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    After I left Thomson Hydro, I ended up caught behind that bunch of traffic just east of the Esko exit. Mostly stop, some go. Took at least 45 minutes to get from the Esko exit to Thompson Hill. The State Patrol had every single semi on the road pulled over and stopped into the right hand lane; I didn't think to count...maybe 50 to 100 18 wheelers nose to tail, just stopped on the interstate. It was a sucky commute. Very sucky.
  5. award900

award900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where will you be coming from? If up 35w, you could hit http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/trail_detail.html?id=33 . Fun atv and forest roads. Then continue north on 23 to Duluth. Visit Aerostich. Duluth is fun for the 4th of July. We camp up the North Shore and ride back down for fireworks. Great views from up the hill. Way easier to park with all the cars. We've stayed at Lambs Resort. Cool spots right down on the water. Reserve for the good ones. I love the North Shore when it's too hot to ride anywhere else.
    For fun, fast gravel roads. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/trail_detail.html?id=14. These are national caliber rally type roads. Lots of atv trails and singletrack, too. RV hookups at Stomping Grounds Campground or we just stay at the trailhead for free. Fun gravel from just south east of Akeley, all the way north west of Itasca State Park. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/itasca/index.html Could do a couple days at Martinau then stay at Itasca and explore the west side. I recommend running GPS. Are you running stock gas tanks? If you've never traveled up the North Shore, that's where I would go in July.
  6. cman

cman cman

Oddometer:
    Will be coming from the south, thru Albert Lea, then still heading north. Both DR's should have Acerbis 5.3 tanks by then. Don't have GPS but I am looking at them.
  7. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Anyone looking for a F650 GS for $2300? I came across this on craiglist today. Seems like a good deal. No idea who the seller is, just thought I'd post here in case someone's looking for a cheap second bike.

http://brainerd.craigslist.org/mcy/4398227139.html
  8. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    I want a Guzzi in that price range :rofl
  9. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Sticker kit on a BMW?
  10. MikeS

MikeS You betcha! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    That looks more like a CS to me, more street oriented plastic on it: front fender and the wind screen/tank areas. May be belt drive. I do see that there appears to be a "GS" on the tank. If low miles, a good price for a very road worthy motorcycle.

I do have someone who I'll pass this on to. I'm an enabler...
  11. Gbusk11

Gbusk11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lutz, sorry to hear that you got caught up in that snarl!!
  12. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Looking outside right now, it's hard to believe that two days ago we were riding in relative warmth! Crazy days of spring!

[​IMG]
  13. jwalters

Oddometer:
    If anyone needs an excuse for a ride this weekend stop on by casa de JWalters. A few of us will be working on bikes and probably a cruise up to the Trestle. All the plowed roads are dry up here. I'll have the grill going tomorrow afternoon for anyone interested. Drop me a PM, and I'll make sure to have enough for everyone.
    -JW
  14. GSingWI

GSingWI Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still thinking of that picture with all those LC8's in your shop! Man did I miss out on that tech day. I'll get up that way this spring to check out all the cool trails and roads. The snow has to melt sometime soon....doesn't it?
  15. jwalters

Oddometer:
    :thumb

16. SplitRock

SplitRock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I fired up the KLR yesterday and went for a little spin. Like a dumbass I failed to remove the battery and bring it inside for the winter. I bring it in and put it on the tender and within 5 minutes it says it's all topped off. I'm very skeptical at that point so I hook it up again with the same result. Time to try it out, I guess. And what do you know, after a few attempts it fires on up. Feels good to be back in the saddle. Looking forward to the ShinDig.

And on another note, a friend at work is sniffing around the KLR. If I sell that bike I am looking hard at the 690 Enduro.

:beer Brent
  17. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
  18. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    :clap Do it..
  19. klim86

klim86 veteran

Oddometer:
    I know I prob shouldn't be posting this here, I am looking sell my 2006 XRL. I am currently stationed at Ft Riley, KS but plan on being up in the Saginaw area around Easter if any of your inmates are interested I could bring it up. Here is the link to the FM. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968290
    thanks
  20. jwalters

Oddometer:
    You've probably already checked this, but the stock KLR batteries are prone to drying out and not holding a charge. Check your battery and make sure the distilled water is between the low/high marks on the battery. Hope to see you guys at Sir Ben's sometime soon!

PS. I know a guy in Grand Marais that has a 690 Enduro for sale. I'm trying to get ahold of him to get details. Bigzig might be looking for one as well. I'll PM you with details if/when I get them.