1150 GS ADV Sucks for Passenger!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mexipike, Oct 14, 2012.

1. mexipike

mexipike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 1150 gs adv with a sargent seat and my passenger is not comfortable. She loved my gs non adventure. Why did BMW make the ADV so much less comfortable for the passenger? Any thoughts? I have the adv top box and like it but it's painful for the passenger and needs a backrest but to my knowledge there isn't one that just bolts on. Also the grab rail sucks! The non adv was so much more comfortable. The seat is fine and comfy. I guess what I need to do is come up with a good handle system and a good backrest. Any ideas or similar experience? I know you can switch to the non adv seat but that's a lot of work and expense I'd rather not go through. My girl loves to ride on the back of the gs just got make her comfy.
  2. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sir,

My proposal would be to go for the normal GS seat combination. Cost can be nil, just find one who wants to do the opposite swap. Usually not too hard. As for time, if both bikes are side by side, should take about one hour.
  3. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    My wife rode on the back of my GS/A from Maryland to Colorado and back. She thinks it's more comfortable than the Harley Ultra we replaced.
  4. mexipike

Oddometer:
    I may end up going that route. I'm also a short guy and trimmed down the rider part of sergeant to make it more comfy. I had no problem with the stock seat on my regular gs but the big adv is a little tall, how tall is the stock seat on an adv?

Really though, I think a good backrest and some grab rails would really make it just fine for her, any ideas there?
  5. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've gotten complaints as well. The GSA stock seating area is definitely more cramped than the GS, and at least with the stock seat, pretty thin. I'm surprised the Sargent didn't help things, as the passenger portion is considerably thicker than stock. I've never gotten complaints about the top box, but the tiedown hooks on the stock side bags can dig into the passenger's legs.

To be honest, I'd rather just ride it by myself. I'd like to have a better two up bike, but right now I can only go with one bike. The advice to go to the standard GS seating is a good one. Along with upgrading those seats to something better.

No idea if there is a way to still mount the top box with the GS seating though. Might have to get creative.
  6. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I did that swap; big improvement for passenger comfort + you get the option of removing the rear seat and using the rack underneath.
  7. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try the Hepco & Becker bolt-on back rest. I got mine from Accessories International. Part no. ET 700.307 fit onto my H&B Alu Standard top case and the wife loves it. Mine was $63.
    They have others that fit their other alu cases. Google hepco&beckertopcasebackrest for more.
    Call them at 888-725-3679 for pricing.

No, I don't get anything out of this referral. They gave great service and the best price both times I have ordered from them.
  8. mexipike

Oddometer:
    Any ideas on a good grab rail idea? I'm thinking of heading to west marine and finding something that can go on top of the side cases.
  9. mexipike

Oddometer:
    So still working on this. In talking to the gf she really likes the seat just hates leaning against the top case without padding. Can't believe BMW never made a cushion for it like nearly every other topcase out there. The grab rail sucks! It's at a weird angle and should be round not strangely molded metal. Come on! This was not a cheap bike when sold why should any one have to do so much to make a passenger happy!

So what I need help with

Better grab rails
    Backrest

I did see a 1200 gs and she thought the grab rails looked great, the problem is I don't have tons of money to just go get a 1200! On my 1150 gs I had a bestrest backrest which I deeply regretting not taking off before the salvage guys got it. However these don't seem to work with a topbox so that's not really what I need now.

Thanks,
    John
  10. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    While it may not the be the cheapest option...but you'll probably both be happiest in the long run.

I have a Russel Day Long that had both the driver and passenger seats done....the wings of the Russel passenger seat sit above the grab rails its MUCH more comfy than stock according to my wife.

Can't tell ya how much that'll cost, cause I landed mine by some creative seat swapping here on ADV :evil
  11. Clay Spinner

Clay Spinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stuck a piece of sheepskin to the back of the topbox so that wife has something to buffer from the harsh corners of the fitting bits and bobs. Cheap and worked well... plus used it as a pillow in the evenings!

EDIT... I attached it to the box with a bungee cord... so it cost nothing... just threw in on and attached the bungee however possible... I can't remember.. but can dig up a photo perhaps...
  12. mexipike

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Well I do have a piece of sheep skin seat cover in the garage.
  13. tps

tps Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Find a carpet store. Ask for a 18x18 sample of their high density padding to go home and walk on... put that behind the sheep skin. They may charge you a few dollars for it.
  14. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to hijack this thread but I have a GS and am looking to swap with someone for the GSA setup. Mine is a 2001.

I already have an adventure seat, i just need the bits to mount it.

I'm in CT.

Cheers, James
  15. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:

John -

I've made a few custom backrests in my shop for guys...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some guys want taller, wider, shorter, thinner backrests than what is out there. if ya want something made up, let me know what you're after and I'll see if I can help you out.

Eric
  16. mexipike

Oddometer:
    Starting to follow this thread again... sorry I snoozed on it. Those backrests look nice. I also just started a thread about maybe switching bikes all together to downgrade to a gs.

For now I have a sheep skin seat cover that I slapped on the back of my top box and it keeps the lady somewhat more comfy back there.
  17. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    My wife loves my GSA with the Sargent seat. She thinks it is much more comfortable than my last Harley.