Kick starting - possibly a stupid question :)

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by JustinP, Jun 30, 2012.

1. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy using the kick starter, it just makes me smile for no reason. I think it has to do with that whole coolness of owning an old bike thing. But is it bad in any way mechanically to use it too much? Bike is an r75/6 if it matters.
  2. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know it gives you a sense of accomplishment to successfully kick start an engine, I experience it every time somebody is watching when my XR650R cold starts on the first kick.

The Airhead kick starter on the other hand wears as you use it, and not just a little bit. The metal that is shaved of the kick starter gears then disburses throughout the transmission and plays havoc on the bushings and bearings.
    I would limit it's use to when you absolutely need it, no more.
  3. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that - I will limit my kick starting to when needed *sniffles*. At least my question turns out to not be stupid :rofl
  4. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    And the '74 model is notorious for the kickstart problems.

/5 wasn't quite as bad.
  5. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    The shaft for the kickstart idler gear just looses its press fit and falls out.
  6. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    There's always an exception...I must have been extremely fortunate with my '72 R60/5.The transmission has never been apart and I used the kick starter on a regular basis for several years after the electric starter gave up the ghost.I stopped using the kick starter when the actual kick-start lever split at the point where the locating pin goes. I've heard all the stories about the 4-spd transmissions not being as reliable as the 5-spd etc.The R60/5 engine died prematurely at 182,000 miles because of an oil pump problem.I have turned the bike into a mild cafe' bike with a '75 R90/6 engine with the same un-touched transmission.Go figure.

Woodgrain
  7. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    You just jinxed yourself. :cry
  8. east high

east high Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What?
  9. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    woodgrain--Glad for your luck on that tranny. I do think there is a difference between kicking a /5 600cc versus a /6 900cc motor though. In addition to the poor design of the '74 you were kicking over less displacement and lower compression on that /5.
  10. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Kickstarting is not necessarily bad, at least on the four-speed (the five-speed may be different 'cause it took them forever to get it right).

It's all in technique-- don't jump down on the kickstart lever. Set the lever up on compression stroke and fluidly follow up pushing the lever with your body weight through the stroke. Jam it through and force it, you will end up busting things.

Remember, this was the only way that the /2 (and earlier) bikes started...
  11. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Kickstart gear on a '74 /6. This is on a bike that was not kickstarted very often. A few more kicks and that gear will be totally worn through.

[​IMG]
  12. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    5 speed transmissions were not built/designed to be kick started all of the time.
  13. wmax351

wmax351 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/trans/index.htm

The 4 speeds are usually fine. They are pretty much a /2 trans. Ideally, one should drill/tap the idler shaft, and red-threadlock a bolt and washer to hold it in place. I did it to mine as a precautionary measure.

The 5-speeds are weaker. Not just in the kickstart. They are nicer, but not as beefy. IIRC, San Jose BMW had a turbo'ed R100 that ate 5-speeds, which they fixed with a 4 speed.

14. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I think BMW made a newer part available for the 5 speed. It's the gear that Diablo shows in his picture. And I believe the newer part was just hardened properly which then would last longer. Also pretty sure these gears are hard to find these days. A non-kickstarter bike does not have this part on the input shaft.

If the one in your box breaks hopefully it just means the kickstarter will not work anymore. The lever usually hangs a little lower also for some reason. I had one that broke that way, years ago. But I've heard that they can break much more catastrophically and the machine may not be ridable.
  15. woodgrain

Oddometer:
    You may be right...

Woodgrain
  16. woodgrain

Oddometer:
    Possibly I was the recipient of devine intervention...

Woodgrain
  17. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    I wish my R65LS had a kickstart, Though in a pinch I can bump start it myself though it doesn't look quite as cool as kicking it. In fact it looks like you got a PoS bike. Note to self, don't leave turn signal on when parked.
  18. Garbln

Garbln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The kick starters on the later machines are not built to be used like other kick starters. Do not use it while standing astride the bike, get off and stand on the kick start side and push it down from the side, facing the side of the bike.