How long will a 990adv last???

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dwj - Donnie, May 20, 2013.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

I'm asking questions, but I already have the moto and I ain't selling it! :deal We will see! :D
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know how many miles to expect out of my 990 but I will be a very happy and fortunate fellow if life allows me to see 70,000+ miles on it! :)

There are lots of reason to communicate other than to question anothers honesty. If someone makes a statement as fact that I believe may be false and their statement matters to me then sure I'd question it otherwise proof is not required. For example if someone claimed they got 80mpg after pissing into their MC tank after a night of drinking I'd laugh but not call them out... unless it was my MC tank they were trying to piss into. ;)
  3. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    There it is. If it really doesn't matter, then let it roll.
    I've been married almost 25 years. I wish I could remember that line of thought more often, instead of arguing with my wife about stuff that really doesn't make a difference in the long run. I should shut TFU, and let it roll.

OTOH, arguing about camping and riding with the boys, instead of working on the house and property like I *should* be doing? Well worth the argument, because I NEED to go do this, without a valid reason, except just that.

Anyway, sometimes it's just more polite to shut up.
    If you don't believe it and think the claim is full of shit.....then get a good laugh in your head, let it go, and go for a good ride!!
  4. ColoradoBigfoot

ColoradoBigfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi windblown, that is preciecly why I questioned Donnie's milage...I thought, based on my MC experiance, that this was an unusual amount of ground covered on a motorcycle in the time frame presented. I'd venture to guess top 5% in the world of riders. In retrospect, if I had a do-over, I would leave out the jab about his question being stupid. But, as I said in my original post, this topic brought out the inner grumpiness in me. Why?
    All I can point to is that I thought Donnie sounded like a braggart. He seemed to mention his milage too often. Compound that with my belief that anyone who rides that much and still does not know what bikes are available to compliment his style of riding has to be BS'ing me on some level.
    Still, I'm amazed by Donnie's ability to rack up the miles.I generated a map of North America. Upon that map I drafted a continuous line representing a "route". I made this line 38k miles in length (figuring this was as the crow flies and does not account for topography). Granted, this was rudamentory, but 38k will take you from...
    Miss. down through interior Mexico, all the way around S. America, back up through Mexico, then west to Cali, up and around the State of Alaska then eastward following US boundary until returning back to Miss.
    That's a friggin' long way!
    Has Donnie been profiled in any MC publications? Should be.
  5. ColoradoBigfoot

ColoradoBigfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must add, I was not fair or justified in my "braggart" diagnostics. It was just an unconcious "trigger" that released my inner grumpiness. Never said I was perfect. I will say this however, I will never shut-up or keep my mouth shut when I have something to say. Regardless if other posters disagree with my views.
  6. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The OP answered for his mileage claims so now we can get back to the discussion at hand. mmmkay?
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :D:clap
  8. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am at 56k miles with my 05.5 I replaced the motor at 52k due to over torquing one of the bolts on the clutch pack. It broke free about 600 miles after I installed the new clutch plates. The fault was mine. The only issues I ever had prior was a valve adjustment finally being necessary at 46k and even then I believe only two were barely out of spec . The new motor( it's an 06) runs great and has 39k on it. I have no doubt this machine will keep going for years more. The goal now is to install a sidecar ( so my four year old can ride with me) on the 05 and find either an SE or a 990Adv as a solo bike. If I could only have one bike this would be it.
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info! :clap How did over torquing one of the bolts on the clutch pack destroy the engine?
  10. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    It broke at the base. The spring pushed the bolt into the inside of the clutch cover and rubbed aluminum shavings that got pulled into the motor. I realize now I could've probably saved the motor with a much more thorough flushing but I am paranoid and ended up finding a motor.
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    SPARE PARTS

Excluding normal maintenance items like oil/air filters, oil, tires, sprockets, chains, and spark plugs, I probably need to consider carrying a few spare items for extended trips into the outback. I have been reading or re-reading Ride Reports that were done on 990s to gain some insight along with info given here, plus info gained from links given here. Here is my list so far, I would appreciate input as to items that I include here that may not be necessary and/or items not included here that should be in the kit.

Fuel Filter Kit by inmate gefr
    Fuel Pump Kit by inmate gefr Is this really needed?
    Water Pump Rebuild Kits Supplier with reasonable prices?
    Oberon Clutch Slave unit or just the O ring?

Please give me input from first hand experience with 990s. Do I understand correctly that fuel pump and water pump issues of past years have been corrected before 2007? What about the Clutch Slave issues? I don't mind buying the parts, but I will be doing a lot of two-up touring and space will be limited. Thanks!

I won't have these before my next Mexico trip in a few weeks, but I will be "assembling" my kit when I return. Thanks! :D

Donnie

Added: What are tools that would be essential to carrying out road side or parking lot repairs that are not included in the tool kit that came with the KTM. I have plenty of tools, but I don't want to carry anything I don't need. I will normally start work on the KTM with the supplied tools and once I establish that acceptable tools are there, I might switch over to tools that make it a bit easier, but I don't carry those tools on the road because of space and weight. Among other things, I have already added a spark plug wrench and a 19MM socket for the main oil drain plug.
  12. MurphCO

MurphCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

This is also true in REAL LIFE with Bigfoot....:clap:lol3

and I agree, the OP is first and foremost bragging about mileage he has ridden, over and over and over...

how it reads:
    I have ridden a zillion miles on a zillion bikes, and plan to ride a zillion more, but woe is me I have no idea what to expect on a trip. Did I mention I rode a zillion miles?

that's why the OP is so defensive, he knows he is looking for credibility....and you fanboys are playing into it.

Does it matter? no, except its douchey
  13. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    I'm getting huge benefit from this thread. Just brought a 2007 990 and working out spares etc.

Just not sure what the point of the negatives are exactly.

Thanks to the OP. :clap
  14. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Make sure you read Vinnie's (crashmaster) RR, I think he details the parts/spares he carried on his trip.
  15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am in the process of re-reading it now. I followed it at the time he was doing the RR, but I was not as interested in the present subject at that time.
  16. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I have no more intention of arguing with you that I did with Bigfoot! :deal, If you go back and read what I wrote from the beginning, you will see that I was addressing the folks that were telling me the KTM would last me forever! I did not exaggerate, I simply demonstrated with facts the mileage that the moto would see. From that, it was my hope to receive info as to what I might expect with high mileage. The facts I provided demonstrated that the KTM, nor any other moto was going to last me forever. Since that time, I have received the type info I was asking for. :clap

I apologize if the miles I have ridden offends you! I have not ridden a zillion miles in my life time, nor have I had a zillion motos! But when I do buy a moto, I keep it a long time and I put a lot of miles on it. Which again, is what drove the original question.
  17. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! :clap That was exactly what I needed! I had already added everything except for the 4mm allen wrench and it is in my kit now! :D I will be ordering some stuff from you when I return from Mexico! :deal
  19. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then you don't have to make such a statement here for it is not the opinions of others that you care about (in this matter). Imo your original question was well founded but a bit "too aggressive" in the way it came out.

My 990 is just shy of the 50k mile mark and I suspect it burns oil like a potato fryer. I'll report back when I'm sure. Had the cases cracked after a high speed slide on some shoapy water. Had the mc failure three times (now replaced with a radial type from a SD). Had the slave cylinder failure once and 3-4 times the fuel filter clogged other than that it has been pure joy!!!!
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow! Good luck with your moto! Sorry, I don't understand this: "Had the mc failure three times (now replaced with a radial type from a SD)." Is that one of the master cylinders?