1968 Bultaco Matador m26

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by blaine.hale, Mar 20, 2011.

1. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    The story:
    I responded to a CL ad that had no price. I figured the guy was gauging people before selling it. So I showed him my r90 rebuild and chatted a bit with him via email. He informs me he cancelled another looker because I was a better candidate. A buddy and me rode up on my r90 and his 68 bonnie. The owner of the Bultaco was paralyzed in a bike accident in 77 :(
    Long story, short: He parked the bike in 77 after the accident and ever since has been putting oil in the cylinder and turning it over to keep it from seizing. He gave it to a friend to restore and the friend did some not so great things. After drooling over the bike, he informs me it's free for me. I flip out, of course. He said he'd rather see me spend money restoring it and hearing it run again!
    So I go to pick up the bike today and he had a mint condition vintage Bellstaff trial master that fit my buddy perfect, so he got that for free :)
    All in all, it was one of the more incredible experiences of my life and I can't wait to get it all running and cleaned up to share with the previous owner!
    Came with a title too :evil

I'm pretty aware of all the stuff not original and missing. I have a box of parts to sift through too. Any information you guys can pass on would be well accepted! I've gone through Hugh's Bultaco site but haven't found much else. I'm mainly after the original fenders, clip on bars and speedo.

These are the only pics I have at the moment, it being night time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I think I hate you.

:lol3
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Original alloy fenders are almost unobtanium, and priced accordingly. The clip on bars can be had and you'll need the undrilled triple clamp, but those should be relatively common, but probably not cheap. They were used on the early Sherpa S models. A friend has or had one of those bikes. I think he still had it and his MotoGuzzi Ambassador last time I spoke with him. I bought a Metralla from his son back in 1976, my brother now has it in restored condition.

That's going to be a nice ride when you're done with it. If you want to put on a set of fenders that mimic the stock ones in plastic, get a set of the Acerbis trials fenders in red. I have some on my M27 Sherpa T and they look good for the era... cost way less than even one alloy fender.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I have a friend who may be a source of help. Hugh's is probably the best source for some parts, but I have a feeling my friend could set you up with bars and a triple clamp for far less than they'd want. He bought out a bunch of Bultaco inventory here in eastern Ohio. He was a Bul mechanic and has probably a dozen assembled Buls of a wide variety in addition to the parts. I'd have to contact him to get an okay to hook you up if he's willing.
  4. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap. It couldn't have happened to a better person. Next time I got to see a bike, I would like to ride yours over there. :lol3

+1 :lol3
  5. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may hate me more after you see the boots he passed on to me as well:

[​IMG]
  6. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Came with original service manual, clymer, title, and even the dealer tags :)

[​IMG]
  7. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    SUPURB!
    Great Vibe!
    Absolutely Fantastic!
    Cool!
    What else can I say?
  8. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

With title! Make sure and do it up with lights and everything. One of the best and most underated of the Bultaco's. Forget the clip on handlebars. They suck. The motor is very close to Metralla spec.

Dave
  9. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    You lucky bum. An air leak caused Jenna's bike to trash a piston. You've got to replace all the seals and go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything's tight. There's a guy on here named stainlesscycle that knows quite a bit about these bikes. You might want to get in touch with him to see what he can tell you.

Can't wait to see it run!
  10. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my first motorcycle....same year same everything! It's a beautiful bike, congrats!:clap

I see it's missing the bits that enclose the chain and rear sprocket.....I took mine off as well, they get old and loose so off it came. Once gone the chain without the support of the rubber boots will saw it's way thru the entry/exit ways at the back of the case. If you have the bits it's worth getting them back on, the chain and sprocket set will last forever.

A super tough old bike well worth the effort. You will be suprised how well it works on the street. Read in your manual (I have the exact same one) about the ISDT kit you can get for it.......the kit doubles hp numbers and turns the bike into an amimal.:deal
  11. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage

Oddometer:
    Cool! :clap
    I saw that bike listed Saturday and immediatly thought of you. Glad you got it.
    Sounds like the orginal owner is still an enthusiast in spite of his difficulties.
    I don't have time this AM, but I've got some links to some Bul parts. I've got 3 Sherpa T's.
  12. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    wow. what a score!

If I may make a suggestion, you should think about taking it back to visit the PO once you get it up and running. Buy him a beer and give him some satisfaction that it found a good home.

Congrats man.
  13. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jesus...that's all I can say without garbage rolling out of my mouth. Good for you, Blaine. You say you have a title, can it be made street legal?
  14. MaraBiker

MaraBiker Vozi Miško!

Oddometer:
    :thumbI agree. Don't forget him Blaine.
    Since you now have two pairs of boots, you can send me your old ones :lol3
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Very Nice! I had a 69 Sherpa-T 250 years ago,it was old when I had it but ran great and I rode it in some trials events,nice torquey motor's in these old things. I raced a 73 200 Sherpa for a couple years at the local shorttrack,great handling sliding bikes!
  16. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming ;)
    The plan thus far:
    Pull the engine, order a rebuild kit and a control/cable kit from Hugh. Rebuild the engine within the next month. Clean up some of the casting as best I can and just ride it all summer. In the winter I'll actually take it down to the frame and start restoring and getting things painted.
    I'd like to in house all the work I can so I may need to find me a soda blaster :)
  17. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Great story.... every dog has there day.... wonder when mine will be :D
  18. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine came new street legal.......my Dad bought it for my Mom so she could ride too.:clap Once us boys started riding it things (lights) started breaking off!
  19. Darbone85737

Darbone85737 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of my 1968 Matador M26

[​IMG]
  20. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was born in 1953 and in high school bought a new 125 Bultaco Lobito street legal bike. My best frined, just passed away last summer, had a beautiful Matador just like the photo above thie message. It was a fine runner and quite fast. Also totally street legal. I'd love to have either a Matador or a Metralla.

Jon