Garmin 665 Sat radio antenna..

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by gearguywb, Apr 15, 2012.

1. gearguywb

gearguywb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on where to mount the 665's antenna for the sat radio? I have seen a couple mounted on top of the brake reservoir. Not sure if that was done with velcro or ?
  2. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is what I have done with mine. Heavy-duty double stick velcro and it has sat there for thousands of miles. And...the 665 has been flawless!
  3. OkieTom

OkieTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to fill in your profile, it's kind of hard to offer advice when we don't know what kind of bike you have.
  4. darrendeep6

darrendeep6 BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer:
    In between the lower windscreen mount. Velcro, no reception problems.
  5. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I got my 665 in January of 2010, I made a little aluminum plate and used silicone seal to attach it to the bike right behind the windscreen. It has been across the US a couple of times and, so far, it has been fine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this helps.

Mike
  6. gearguywb

gearguywb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
  7. camnowell

camnowell Still a n00b

Oddometer:
    I mounted mine in the same place as mikegc, but just used velcro strips instead. It's been holding there with no issues since I bought the bike in January. I was able to tuck the extra wire in behind the GPS as well so that it looks nice and neat.
  8. OHRider

OHRider BMW Airhead, AMA (Life)

Oddometer:
    Garmin says &#8220;The GXM 40 antenna should be mounted at a minimum of 10 (4&#8221;) cm away from the zumo 665. An ideal distance would be at least 30 (11.8&#8221;) cm between the devices. If the GXM 40 is mounted closer to the zumo then you may experience interference that can interrupt the XM signal. &#8220; I did have mine mounted on the front breaker reservoir and I did have problems. So I moved it to the beak on the front fender with Velcro.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  9. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    This is true, I've tested it and it does seem to affect the signal a bit. But it's not that bad, it drops the XM signal by about a bar.

When I had my Versys I mounted the GXM 40 on the the passenger grab handle on a techmount on my alu-rack and ran the USB cable to the rear.

On my GS and threw caution to the wind and mounted the antenna to the GPS mount using a bracket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still fine tuning the adjustment of both the bracket and the mount, but I would like to think that the steel bracket the GXM40 is screwed into, helps shield the XM signal from interference from the Zumo 665 itself. It blocks the bottom of the entire antenna with a steel plate directly between it and the Garmin.
  10. mikegc

Oddometer:
    My antenna is 3.5" from the unit and I've never had a reception problem. It works like a champ.

Mike
  11. darrendeep6

darrendeep6 BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer:
    Werd :D
  12. Brock

Brock n00b

Oddometer:
    This is how I did mine, just with the bracket towards the windshield rather than over the GPS unit itself. When I had it over the unit, originally, it would impede the release on my locking mount.

I tried to locate mine similar to the location in post 5 when I first installed it. When driving north, either the GPS, dash, or my gigantic melon would block the signal of the satellites (in the southern sky, presumably, made worse being in Wisconsin). Having it just that little bit higher keeps the signal from cutting out ever.
  13. dsy

dsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have mine mounted like mikegc also and notice the only time I have any signal cut out is when I'm headed North also. May have to try and raise it up some.
    Thanks
    Doug
  14. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Yup:D
  15. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    This is how I did it.

[​IMG]
  16. MoseFitch

MoseFitch Chicken Rancher

Oddometer:
    I don't think the issue with being close together has to do with the GPS affecting xm reception. If your using the magnetic base with the antenna the magnets affect the GPS compass
  17. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I'm not using the magnetic base, the interference from the GPS is minor, but its there. It even says it'll affect it in the manual. Maybe its in my head, but since moving my antenna near the unit, my XM is always short a bar.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
  18. speck

speck It's all about endorphins

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 665 with the GXM XM antenna mounted above it on the clutch side of the handlebar of my F800GS. When using plug in head phones I've enjoyed 3 solid bars almost all the time.... This christmas I "up-graded" to a Scala Cardo Rider Q2 Pro bluetooth headset. It sync'ed up with the Zumo fine enough but now XM radio is 1 bar at best and drops out frequently....

Anyone else with similar experience? I've searched the web and haven't found any real solutions. I have moved the puck antenna to the other side of the handlebar without much effect.
  19. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep.

When I had my antenna mounted fairly close to the gps unit I had blue tooth issues (Shuberth) and ended up mounting the antenna on my top case at the rear of the bike and that improved things.
  20. Cap'n Ron

Cap'n Ron The Devil's Advocate

Oddometer:
    I'm running a GXM 30 with the Zumo 550, so things could be different with this unit than the GXM 40. When I was running my XM antenna on the small shelf above the instrument cluster I started getting an ABS fault light. Not sure what was causing it, but once I moved the XM antenna the fault disappeared and all was good. Just wanted to mention so it could be kept in mind if anyone receives an ABS fault.

Cheers, :freaky

Ron