A/C Pilots and Riders - Overlap?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Pike Bishop, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Pike Bishop

Pike Bishop Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer:
    I'm curious how many riders are also aircraft fliers and/or skiers...it seems like a similar pursuit.

I ski and love it, also thinking of one day taking flying lessons, I'm a latecomer to bikes but now I think it scratches the same kind of itch.

Do many of you boys and girls fly and/or ski?

Just trying to get a line on it...I'd love to ski more, but blew up a knee a few years back and now live far from slopes...
  2. STSVPilot

STSVPilot YAY!

Oddometer:
    Commercial pilot / 2 wheeled rider here.

V
  3. Hoseman

Hoseman Uhh...

Oddometer:
    Started skiing when I was 3 years old :clap
  4. DeeG

DeeG Huh?

Oddometer:
    Multi engine, commercial pilot here.

Trying to learn how to ski, but the thought of going down the side of a hill faster than 5 mph on two flat skinny pieces of plastic kinda scares the crap outta me. We won't mention the chair lift ride to the top of the bunny slope...(where's my paper bag, I need to stop hyperventilating)
  5. spawn50

spawn50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a snowboarder. I've been snowboarding for 19 years. I was hoping to be a commercial pilot, but was unable to get my medical. Oh well. Maybe I can get my recreational license.
  6. Data

Data Chameleon

Oddometer:
    Private pilot for the last 25 years.
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    VN era helicopter pilot here. Have a ski cabin in Truckee.
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Private pilot and ski patroller.
  9. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer:
    Former AF meteorlolgist (taught weather in UPT for 3 years and took all the academics the students did. Logged 30+ hours in T37 and T38 sims).

Faced a choice: keep on with my flying lessons or ride motorcycles. Couldn't afford the time or $$ to both well.

Chose motorcycles bacause I can ride nearly any time I want to. Seemed cheaper too--but the way I have done it, I could have my instrument rating for the money I have spent on my two wheel passions.

Yes, I think there's a connection between flying, riding, and going down slopes quickly. There's the in-the-moment balance of control while aware of the forces that can spell disaster. We like the feeling of physical movement, not just our own body motion, but responding to the contours of earth and sky.
  10. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    I've been skiing for over 30 years; would like to get my private pilot's license or at least take some lessons one day...
  11. Motor31

Motor31 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclist since 72, private pilot since 83. Inactive flyer now due to lifestyle change and lack of $. No plans to ski due to age and medical issues now. I did do cross country skiing once and had a ball but never did live near or in snow. Still riding motorcycle and will continue as long as I can.
  12. Trondomatic

Trondomatic To infinity and beyond...

Oddometer:
    Non-current private pilot for about ten years now. Decided last year that it was too expensive and had to let it go. :cry But more money for riding now!

Yeah, skiing, downhill mountain biking and motorcycling seem to hit similar notes of euphoria and oneness with your environment. But nothing quite compares with flying down a twisty canyon in a small plane - sheer magic.
  13. aviatorbdm

aviatorbdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are all adrenilin junkies I guess. I'm a private pilot fixed wing and helicopters. Ski and Snowboard, ride motorcycles on and off road.
  14. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Corporate pilot for a private company here in Cincinnati. Yep, and most everyone I fly with also rides. :clap
  15. FoolHardy

FoolHardy Still Inky

Oddometer:
    I started flying in my twenties, but hit a rather large financial wall, and never have been able to get back into it. I have about three hours in my logbook, four skydives and two ultralight flights. Keeping myself, my wife, a 3yo, a 5yo, and an 11yo in skis and gear barely leaves me with enough $$ for riding, so flying is out (for now).
  16. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    grew up right seat of grandpa's Cherokee. (98J if you see it around) Stayed in my blood. Aircrewed in the Corps. riding 2 wheels since I was 15.
  17. BravoZulu

BravoZulu Roger Ball

Oddometer:
    20 years as a carrier based Naval Flight Officer in the World Famous S-3 (War Hoov) Viking. >2500 hours and 300 carrier landings. (178 night traps... yikes) This Type/Model/Series is retiring as well and the last squadron disestablishes in Jacksonville, Fl on January 29, 2009. It was fun while it lasted!
  18. Elmer

Elmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Military pilot, commercial/multi/instrument rated. Not flying professionally now, wife wouldn't let me do both at the same time. Skiied a lot in college. It's not that the activities are similar, it's the brain power required to do them well and the adrenaline rush when it goes bad.
  19. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    I love planes and bikes...keep one of each parked at the house. Did some cross country skiing years ago, but I find it slow and boring. No hills around here for downhill skiing.

[​IMG]
  20. GullPilot

GullPilot Finder of Deals

Oddometer:
    Commercial Pilot, single & multiengine land instrument airplane rated. Did some flight instruction in Traverse City but never pursued it to a commercial career.
    I love to fly but driving a bus from A to B didn't seem like my bag. Lotsa guys I trained with had horror stories about 24/7 on call jobs for 28k a year, payin your dues is what they called it.
    Also there was the AIDS - Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome.
    Gimme a little plane, blue skies and a dirt strip, Thats Flying to me :D