The Saturday after Thanksgiving Coke Oven Ride 2012 Version

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 4play, Oct 3, 2012.

1. azredline

azredline Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with Seabee, bring her along! Being hot is great, knowing how to save those of us whe crash out may be even better!
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    This guy needs mouth to mouth.

:norton

[​IMG]

:lol3
  3. Bucket Boy

Bucket Boy The other mechanic

Oddometer:
    Here....
    [​IMG]
  4. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    How the hell do you know me? :huh
  5. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  6. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, this is gonna be fun!!:clap

I am trying despertly to get home for this ride, I won't have my truck though and might need a ride to the school, thanks Buddy!

Bucket Boy has your number 'Dos!!!
  7. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Hope you make it in for this, it wouldn't be the same without you :freaky
  8. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Carnivore

Oddometer:
    You guys are killing me! :rofl What a bunch of goofballs! I need to figure out how to make this happen. I think I'll ride the 990 adv just to add to the entertainment value. Or maybe not.

I know a great route there that should add to the misery factor if you are interested. Just keep going north in Box Canyon until you get to a really narrow spot between two walls just south of where a road from the NW ends at a cattle tank. Not too long after that the wash ends at a 30' waterfall so you can't ride all the way to the road which was my plan that day. I turned around to try another route. Just S. of the narrow spot take another drainage that heads east and follow that through boulders etc until you can escape on a road on the N. side of the canyon back to the Ajax Mine Rd. There was some evidence that it had been done before but it was an adventure.

The fork to turn to the east is at 33deg, 11' 36.33"N 111deg 10' 53.21"W If I could figure out how to post a Google Earth kmz file I'd do that.
  9. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm. :norton
  10. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    It's been done on big KTMs:
    [​IMG]

Even on GS's with street tires and luggage!
    [​IMG]

I know you pedal, too. That would be a real challenge! :evil
  11. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    you just want someone to accompany you in your misery. :lol3

you pedal guys are nutz!
  12. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:

I think the worst part of that whole ride on a pedal bike wouldn't be the hills or the rocks, but the sand washes! You can walk a hill easy enough and pushing a bike isn't hard. But trying to pedal through deep sand or just walking a bike in deep sand SUCKS. :lol3
  13. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Carnivore

Oddometer:
    Funny Yardstick. Did you know the 990 I have now is the same one Hilsamer is riding in the photo? The 990 adv is fine until you have to pick it up but you guys would help me right?

Yes pedaling in sand sucks.
  14. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I was confused for a second when I read "990" because I remember you had the 950 Adventure. I didn't know you bought Hilslamer's 990! How do you like it vs. the carbed 950? If you look close you can see I'm actually on my SE in that same picture. That ride got scary on the SE because the carbs kept flooding the engine out on the downhills. Flats, uphills and bumps seemed fine, but downhills were freaky! That bike needs EFI! :deal

Those Adventures (and the SE, really) do lay down nice and flat when they go down. There will be plenty of people around to help if you drop it.

If you or anyone else wants to try pedaling in there, I'm game to try it. I'm not fast, but I'm usually good for 20-30 miles (or more when I ride more consistently than I have been lately). I was thinking about making a run from the High School to Ajax, just to get a taste of what it would be like.
  15. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    I wish for 2 things.
    First, I wish I was going to be here
    B). I wish the husky was together - but this won't happen till around dec.1st - which is when the house on wheels will be transported to the valley for a well deserved 4 month stay

Monte
  16. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    :D
    I was affraid you were going to wish for another ride on the back of my bike :evil
  17. Gila Monster

Gila Monster Carnivore

Oddometer:
    Allen,

If you want a good mtb ride you should come out for the AZ Endurance Series ride/race on the BCT Sat. Starting at Rock Springs, riding up the road to the top of Antelope Cr. by Old Cordes then back on the trail. Should be around 50 miles. I'll be there with 74 of my closest friends.

How I got Hilsamer's 990 is an interesting story, for later.

I LOVE the fuel injection. I have planned to give a comparison between the two bikes on Orange Crush sometime. I pretty much like everything about the 990 a little better except his midget low seat. I loved the 950 too but this bike is better in my opinion. The snatchy throttle at super low speed is noticeable but I'll take that in trade for a bike that runs perfectly at any rpm and altitude. It gets much better gas mileage too.
  18. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  19. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    OH"" I did not say the husky would run for a long period of time, just that parts would be installed to atleast ride it for a time period. Then, it will break down and we can adv. snuggle on your weee frame!!!!! best part of the last ride i was on down here in the valley of adv snugglers:rofl:eek1:huh.

Jeeeeezzz the things we say on this forum are down right obnoxious and a bit man lovey:lol3:huh:eek1

Dope, there it goes again - I can't stop with the ------------- o.k., its over - luv u guys!

Crap, it sliped in er out er uuuuhhhh its a thing about ----- dongit i can't stop with the references -- see there it is again. I must be drunk
  20. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Preride will be November 17th. KSU at 9am
    Staging at the Superior HS near the tennis courts across from the Fire station.
    Alternate route suggestions (non hike a bike) welcome.
    Who's in?