Plagiarism hits Giant Loop

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Biped, Nov 15, 2011.

1. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    Uh.

That may have changed today.

:lol3
  2. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    I knew the piss was gonna rain down sometime,

that's kinda why I avoided checking in there, today :1drink
  3. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    When you gotta go, you gotta go.

:lol3
  4. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER

Oddometer:
    How can it come directly from the factory in China, I am almost positive Giant Loop Products made in the USA? Im sorry to see this happen to such a great company...
  5. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    I recently learned that marketing departments will create web forum with back dated conversations just to sell a product that "looks" established. They will also pay people to go online and "contribute" to a site, forum, or other, in an effort to endorse and sell products. In regards to marketing, there is no moral compass in the light of the almighty dollar.
  6. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow looks lke it went through a sticker factory and everything stuck
  7. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to research Giant Loop stuff before commenting on this. Wachs (member here) designed/developed these bags, and the Giant Loop company, and has written some pretty awesome ride reports about living off a dirtbike on week long trips away from civilization.

Stealing someone else's idea just to make a buck is a bad thing. It's dishonest, and it discourages innovation. Why come up with a better product when some jackwhang is just going to copy it and make money off your idea?
  8. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 yeah, it's definitely got the "boy racer" thing going on.
  9. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
  10. Almost There

Almost There Up, up, and away

Oddometer:
    I'm aware of who they are although I've never met them and only seen the product in a showroom. If KTM made the bag and a couple of local guys copied it and sold it for half price would there be an issue? I see a bunch of aluminum panniers being built by members here and sold cheap. Does anybody feel bad for HT?

Of course nobody likes a blatant copy but when you charge a premuim price for a product you are asking for competition. They were first to market and were able to price the product as they wanted. By pricing it high though they left plenty of room for competition.

Top companies are always copied and that leads them to come up with better products. If they don't innovate the bottom feeders kill them. If they do innovate they enjoy another period of pricing product where they want until the crowd catches up.

It sucks to always have people copying and undercutting you but that's how it works when you are the only game in town.
  11. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    NAFTA: Looks like it's working, you know who to thank for that.
  12. vnp514

vnp514 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course nobody likes a blatant copy but when you charge a premuim price for a product you are asking for competition. They were first to market and were able to price the product as they wanted. By pricing it high though they left plenty of room for competition.

Top companies are always copied and that leads them to come up with better products. If they don't innovate the bottom feeders kill them. If they do innovate they enjoy another period of pricing product where they want until the crowd catches up.

It sucks to always have people copying and undercutting you but that's how it works when you are the only game in town.[/QUOTE]

There is wisdom and truth to the above. Me, I like my GL.

[​IMG]

Pete
  13. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    is the most likely condition when one's moral compass is FUBAR.
  14. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #110 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Chinese and other 3rd world manufacturers will continue to kick our asses as long as we continue to buy their shit. Vote with your wallet and keep your dollars in the US, preferably as close to your local community as possible. :deal

'nuff said.
  15. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think there would be an issue. The patent/copyright issues come up here on a regular basis when someone wants to copy a part for their own use; that's debatable, but I'm surprised anyone here (meaning you) would be OK with a direct copy of someone's product, for the purpose of making money.

Look at the pictures; this Nomad stuff looks like a direct copy, but without the GL logo. I'm all for competition, but these guys have obviously stolen GL's design. If they had produced a bag that was similar in purpose, but somehow different and not just a copy, that would be different.

Maybe the concepts of dishonesty and stealing are lost on some people?
  16. wazzu

wazzu Pocky

Oddometer:
    Hey Brad thanks for the heads up. I just posted my thoughts.
  17. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:

How is the North American Free Trade Agrrement to blame for an American guy ripping off designs and having them produced in Asia?

Wow, Miss Teen South Carolina was right.
    http://youtu.be/lj3iNxZ8Dww
  18. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    bullshit,,total bullshit!
    look at Mercedes,, innovation after life saving innovation,,and they willingly give their technology away, hoping it will be copied. Hasn't hurt, but helped their bottom line.
    Sure,,you can get the cheaper copy,,but you can only buy the original item, if you buy it for the quality.
    As said before,,the GL guys did hands on testing, take it out and ride it!toss that idea, try another,,for years of development time invested.

I'm not in the need of another luggage system, but I would not buy a cheap imitation of a parachute, a heart re-suss machine, or a copy-catted Giant Loop bag system.

Kermit chairs,,a prime example.
    company sold, moved manufacturing to Mexico.
    Quality went to shit.
    Originator bought back company,and the shitty chairs, brought production back to USA,
    quality returns,,still the finest folding camp chair there is.
    Giant Loop products are like that,,get the best there is,,don't let somebody fool you.
  19. oremike

oremike Motorcyclest

Oddometer:
    No shit , there I was in Prineville topping off my dusty assed V-Strom when I here a girls voice say nice luggage. I glance over to the other side of the pump island and there is a rider on a equally dusty DRZ 400 with a Giant Loop on the back as well. Bet that doesn't happen with the cheap rip off stuff. :D
  20. gs'n

gs'n odd knob

Oddometer:
    looks like the same company has a facebook page called "adv rider"

what a bunch of fucking scab-ass KOOKS

this free market? this is what some people are suggesting they have no problem with?

gritz n' gravy