Ztechnik pipe for GS Adventure

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by townboy, Sep 3, 2003.

1. townboy

townboy GS Adventure in Houston

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for feedback on the Ztechnik Z4040 exhaust for my '04 GS Adventure. The claims of performance gains and weight reduction seem pretty good but I would like to hear what owners have to say. Also, any issues in removing the cat. Conv. as far is passing inspections and engine warrenties???
    thx
  2. temoore

temoore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one. I think the claimed increase might be a little optimistic. Most aftermarket performace exhaust systems go give you a "seat of the pants" feeling of an increase, especially in the midrange.
    When I got my standard '01 GS three years ago, I installed a Two Bros. exhaust. Definitely felt stronger, would easily do wheely just opening the throttle in first (standard GS gearing would not do this with stock system). After about 9 months, I just go tired of the noise and sold the exhaust.
    I had an opportunity to get a new ZT system from some one who had crashed his bike and had the exhaust replaced by XT so it was new (I saved $200). I was hoping, after reading the review in BMW ON magazine, that it would be more quite than the TB exhaust. It might be, but barely. Currently in my attic (I will keep as every once in a while, I get the urge for a more radical bike, and I don't want to buy another system).
    So, to answer your question, it is a good system, well made, preserves the warranty and all. I seriously doubt if it offers any better performance than a TB, Remus or Laser system, and I find it loud, although some others apparently don't. For me, a Y pipe w/ stock exhaust can and a BBpower chip works best.
  3. alanhuth

alanhuth n00b

Oddometer:
    I just had the ZT exhaust system installed (Y-pipe plus cannister). I did not immediately notice any seat-of-the-pants performance improvement and the thing sounds terrible. At idle (which is all I heard before I bought it) it sounds great, but when you gas it, the sound is reminiscent of someone who took a hacksaw to his CB450 pipes.

Does anybody know whether I can keep my ZT Y-pipe and add a Remus or Staintune can?
  4. temoore

temoore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my experience w/ the ZT, no. The outlet is a larger diameter than the typical Y pipes.
  5. Aussie ADV

Aussie ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    I have fitted the full laser Y piece muffler & chip to my 03 1150 adv, It has given it quite a deep sounding note. "For a Beemer"
    seat of the pants performance i would say is definatly up on the standard system, with probably 7.5kg wieght saving.:):
  6. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has one. It looks cool. Sounds better. No noticable performance diff.......maybe a little. It looks cool.