Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    I snuck in a cube of sugar. Couldn't hurt.

<BR>
  2. Farnsrocket

Farnsrocket Gang Gang!!

Oddometer:
    :freaky :clap :robin:strum:super:killen:happay:rilla:drif:ricky
  3. VentusA

VentusA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty fast - at least as far as So. Cal. Maybe Poolside snuck in a couple more lumps in mine - thanks!
    Unfortunately, my '96 1100GS is the hands of Progressive Suspension who are prototyping aftermarket shocks. I get it back next week... I hope.
  4. Farnsrocket

Farnsrocket Gang Gang!!

Oddometer:
    Mine showed up today! WOOT! :clap
  5. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Two days to Ohio, that's good time!

<BR>
  6. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Is there a list of who was in the latest batch shipped?
  7. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Page 106......
  8. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Lord this is taking a long time.
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    I know! And to add to it you are in the last group. Order in the 3rd week of July.

Thanks for your patience everyone. It is much appreciated!

<BR>
  10. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been answered before, I read quite a few pages (but not all 110 of them...), and followed a few links, but didn't find the answer:
    Is this fooling of the air temperature sensor needed because oxygen sensors are too slow to keep the optimal (stoichiometric) fuel/air ratio during acceleration?
  11. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    In a word, no.
    Using more words&#8230;

A good portion of the reason why these modifications are needed in the first place is because an oxygen sensor is being used, along with the cat-afterburner, and not due to response times.

JJ
  12. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Good question, I'm surprised it hasn't been asked before.

First, the purpose of the O2 sensor is to allow the ECU to control the oxygen levels in the exhaust, in order to supply the catalyst. The catalyst creates a chemical reaction between the oxygen and hydrocarbons in the exhaust, and will not function without the correct oxygen supply. The primary purpose of the O2 sensor is control of Exhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO), not the control of combustion mixture. Read that sentence again.

The motor has different operational ranges, or modes let's say. Acceleration is one of those modes. The ECU controls the exhaust oxygen differently based on which mode the motor is operating in.

Motor acceleration is always preceded by another control mode called Transient Throttle Enrichment, sometimes known as Throttle Tip-in. These two modes, Throttle Tip-in followed by Acceleration, create a difficult control problem. Let me explain.

The ECU must serve many masters. The drivability master, the power master, and most importantly the efficiency and emissions masters. These masters, or operational goals if you will, are at cross purposes with one and other. You know, it's one of those situations where you can't meet all the objectives at the same time.

Mostly how it plays out is Drivability is first to get sacrificed. Then Power is offered up, followed by Efficiency. Emissions is always spared because at the end of the day we all must obey the same God. The Emissions Regulators.

I don't think Emissions Regulations are a bad thing, I support them. I think we need more and stricter regulations. Regulations force the development of better motor control equipment and algorithms. There's a lot of spirited debate as to which ECU control algorithm is best, but history has shown one thing. As emissions regulations get tighter, ECUs get better at motor management, while sparing Drivability. (Speaking of poor drivability, do you remember the first few generations of emissions carburetors? And the first couple of rounds of motorcycle fuel injection?)

Wait, where was I going with this? Oh yea, Acceleration and Throttle Tip-in. Those two events create the most amount of exhaust emissions. And are difficult to control in a way that feels smooth and makes good power.

This is what the IICE Air and upcoming IICE Cool are for. Smoothness and power.

</td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  13. JohnZ

JohnZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JZ in New York here.

I have to say, you two guys--JJ and Poolside-- are models of comportment and persistance.

I'm looking forward to your next product.
  14. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Item received yesterday. :clap

Plugged it in and went for a spirited ride.

Backfiring is virtually gone (my main goal/objective). I did manage to get one lil pop going down a long hill. Has stock muffler and Y-pipe. Motronic has the "Steptoe Jumper".

Acceleration has a more linear feel.

Idle is better. Often before it'd stumble and seek. That seems to be gone.

I didn't check the jumper but I'm assuming it is at the 20deg position which I seem to recall stated somewhere how'd be delivered.

Thanks Poolside and JJ. A bike I've liked a lot, I like even more now.
  15. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Ah, fudge. My pony didn't make it. Maybe I can talk my wife into driving it to the Roll The Bones Rally. Hmmmm.
  16. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be happy you get to go to the Rally this weekend.....:D

I can't make it.
  17. Farnsrocket

Farnsrocket Gang Gang!!

Oddometer:
    Wow, this definitely works!!!! :clap
    I was able to install it today and take a quick 20 minute ride around town.
    It was about 50 degrees out and I left it on the stock setting 20.
    It feels like I got a super tune up! Throttle is all go, no hesitation and it just wants to keep going!!! :freaky
  18. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    So have any of the other IICE Airs in this last batch or any of the previous ones been installed yet?
    Any ride impressions or comments?

JJ
  19. Spoke

Spoke Wing Ding Supporter

Oddometer:
    It arrived Friday along with freezing temps and snow. I'm guessing I won't install and test until spring 2012. Ouch!
  20. Flyinguy

Flyinguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived Thursday in NY. Installed it Friday morning before the ride to work. Sixty five miles each way. :clap
    I can tell you for certain that this is NOT going to help my gas mileage! :D Used the "as delivered" setting, OAT was between 35 and 40 F. Seat-of-the-pants testing, the bike felt smoother.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.