R1200 GS Fuel Gauge Problem

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Conrad, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Conrad

Conrad Karlshuld

Oddometer:
    The day I was waiting to take delivery of my new GS resulted in the sales person coming to the showroom (I'd been waiting for 4 hours) to tell me that when the bike was test ridden that the "fuel strip" inside the tank had malfunctioned, and, that there was a BMW recall on it; I asked if there was a recall on it, why wasn't that taken care of prior to delivery? No clear answer was given.

It was the end of the day so they said they would have the bike ready the following morning; I arrived at 1:00 the following afternoon and took delivery.

Yesterday while on my second tank of gas, the bike ran out of gas with 3 bars of fuel gauge still showing - I should have been paying more attention to the miles I had travelled instead of the gauge, however, I ran the first tank of fuel down to the last bar on the gauge without running out of fuel. I'm more than a bit disappointed so far. Anyone else had this problem?
  2. NtShiny

NtShiny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My problem has been the opposite.
    The gauge reads at least a bar lower then reality, bike is averaging 45.7-51.2 mpg the computer claims 25.7 to 25.0.
    Still cruising the forum to see if there's an answer before heading to the dealer 150 miles away.
    :freaky
  3. Scotty7456

Scotty7456 n00b

Oddometer:
    I know how you feel,,, I just got my 08 r12GSA and had the same thing @ 250 miles the fuel gauge said 1/3 tank and I was out.... luck I was able to get off the highway and cost to the pumps.... The dealer was great about it... replace the fuel strip and I have not a any prob...
  4. perobins

perobins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping that the 08 fix for the 07 fuel strip problem would eliminate these problems. BMW can't seem get it right I guess??

My light would come on with 8 to 9 litres still in the tank.
    Fuel strip replaced and reprogramed and seems to be working fine ever since.

Phil
  5. bigcat24

bigcat24 Seeing Texas on a GS

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this thread My 08 started acting funny fuel wise yesterday. I left out on a 60 mile journey my computer said I had 180 miles to empty avg (by computer est) 40.7 mpg at the end of the 60 mile run fuel light was on and says I have 30 miles to empty?????? :huh any advise
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Take it to the dealer, and start using your trip meter.

Many who have had it repaired find that it works fine now.

Jim :brow
  7. bigcat24

bigcat24 Seeing Texas on a GS

Oddometer:
    I use the fuel guage feature on my Zumo 550 Jim and it keeps track of miles traveled and I have it se to warm me at 165 miles just trying to get a feel for my distance available. I live 5 hours from closest dealer so I will get it there as soon as i can. Thanks for ALL your good advise.
  8. rwoo56

rwoo56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i don't even use the remaining miles thingy on the on board computer... it has been malfunctioning since new. i'll get around to having it fixed. i didn't know there was a recall though???
  9. chthomas1

chthomas1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have posted about this several times. My 08adv gauge has never shown there is a drop of fuel in it. they are suppose to fix it this week. I agree for the price of these bikes it should be fixed. How hard could this be? My 05 read clearly and accurately without any concern. I think it is the bikes that have the dte function that seem to be having more issues. My 05 did not give me the countdown until I hit my reserve and I never had a problem with it. i bet if surveyed everyone that is having the problem has the onboard computer with all of these features, dte, avg mpg, avg spd. I would trade for my old 05 comp in a second because I know it works. I will set you know after my service friday if I can see fuel or not.
  10. tpresten

tpresten RideUmAll

Oddometer:
    At 1700+ miles I have the same issue on my 2008 ADV. I have the INFO features you speak of. I do not mind the gauge not working I just hate the yellow light and the flashing FUEL! on the computer. It is very distracting at night.
  11. chthomas1

chthomas1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They did my service at 600 last week and guess what they did not have time to get to the nonfunctional gauge on my bike. What a surprise. Had to make another appt. to get it fixed but they are not going to go through the 2 drying processes they are just going to replace it and redo the computer. I will believe it when I see it!:huh I have that stupid warning symbol on my forehead now. everything else with the bike has been spectacular
  12. grahamspc

grahamspc Smitty

Oddometer:
    Fuel tank full...Yellow warning light burning hole in my forehead...problem at 2 thous miles on my 09 gs1200....easy dealer fix in and out in 1.5 hours...hopefully won't happen again....love the bike...first GS...traded Ducati ST3S...also a good bike....G
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  13. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    Its quite common. Same thing happened to me when my bike was only a few days old. Since then its been to the dealer four times in less than two years for the same problem. Someone is going to get killed because of this fuel gauge issue. Lots of luck
  14. grahamspc

grahamspc Smitty

Oddometer:
    I hope once and done is it...time will tell...travelling this wknd..we'll see...G:rilla:rilla:rilla
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  15. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:

Mine failed againt this weekend. First failure was on a trip to Canada with seven other guys. Outside of Omaha I broadcasted to the group over CB that my bike was making gas. My guage had clicked up two bars over half full. Shortly thereafter I ran out of gas. The rest of the trip it showed empty the whole time with the blinking guage and yellow triangle. Got it fixed and then lasted for a few months.

Picked up the bike a few weeks ago after my third new strip and the dealer told me they think they have finally figured out a permanent fix. They charged me for a full tank of gas (BMW should be picking up the tab for this). They told me I need to run it as close to empty twice to finalize the calibration. Drove it home and the next time I started it the guage failed.

I am demanding that they come get with their trailer this time as my dealer is not conveniently located at all.
    NJ Moto likes this.
  16. Noblehops

Noblehops Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've lost track, I'm either on my third or fourth 'strip'. It has been good for over a year now, so here's hoping. Yes, it seems unimaginable that BMW can't get this right. Seems like another case of BMW using made-up technology when good-old would have been just fine.

If only we didn't love these things, life would be so much easier. Owning a BMW is like dating a really hot stripper that keeps giving you VD.

N.
    NJ Moto likes this.
  17. writerrider

writerrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a 2009 1200GSA about a month ago and I was cruising around on my first tank of dealer gas (so I didn't set the trip meter) at about 70mph in the left lane and I ran out of gas. Dead as a door nail. Luckily I had enough momentum and was able to pull off to the right shoulder. A good samaritan helped me push my bike off to the next exit. Needless to say, the range meter said I had 80 miles left, and no yellow light came on to tell me that I was on reserve. I took it to the dealer for the 600 mile service last Thursday, told him about the fuel sensor, and he said that they have been having problems. They replaced the sensor, reset the computer and sent me on my way. I drove away and the gas gauge was registering about a 1/4 full. I wondered if they had to empty some of the tank to change the sensor and didn't replace the gas. So I went to the gas station and filled up. It was only a couple of gallons to full. When I turned her back on the fuel gauge registered almost full (1 or 2 bars missing). Weird. Looks like I am going to have a chronic problem as well.
    NJ Moto likes this.
  18. Burnszilla

Burnszilla BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer:
    I find that resetting my bike's computer every 6 months helps. Take the positive lead off the battery and let it sit overnight OR disconnect the positive and touch it to the negative lead with the key on will reset the computer.
    MPG is cleared and appears more accurately.
  19. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    The time I ran out of gas my bike was a couple of days old. After multiple unsuccessful recalibrations by the dealer they found the fuel strip sensor laying on the bottom of the tank.

Its been back three times after that for strip replacements/calibrations.
  20. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not simply reset the MPG by holding down the INFO button? :scratch