OBD2 scanning

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by RoundOz, Feb 3, 2013.

1. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    How OBD2 compliant is the 990 ECU? Can you safely plug a scanner into the adapter cable (half of Powercells TuneEcu cable) and read codes etc?
    It's the "etc" part I am interested in. I have heard about pulling real time analogs out of the ECU using an OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor to an android smartphone, but would like to hear from someone who has done it.

What about running TuneEcu via Bluetooth?
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    I´ve thought alot of doing the stuff. It should be doable vvith the "tourke" app. You can pull a lot of information vvith this.
  3. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I have the Torque app (free for the basic version) and a Bluetooth dongle that was around $23 and it is one of the best uses for a smart phone I have ever seen. Instant analogs and logging of many different parameters on my truck. It will even access the phones accelerometers and gps to do simulated dyno runs and economy trip runs with logged location points. I have only tried it on a vehicle equipped with a standard OBD2 plug so far, and am a bit leery of frying something on the bike that does not come from the factory that way.
  4. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    itty-bump
  5. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    OBD ,, OBDII, III, OBDIV are all basically CAN bus. Its low voltage serial communications.. They share common set of commands and structures, with each vehicle vendor layering their own "stuff" on top. If you rusing the USB probe off a laptop, any risk is miniscule. (Not enough current to damage anything.) and there are a bunch of proprietary codes for each vendors ECU required to write data. (Its the part people have to reverse engineer to program ecu's with write capability) if its OBD* usually there are a few standard read commands that puke out the standard required data from the ecu to meet the OBD smog reporting requirements.

Hope this helps on the research side.. :)

Dave
  6. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave, it sounds like the risk is zero if using a Bluetooth adaptor then...any voltage present will be coming from the ECU, and the pinouts on a system that has a standard should be standard, right? ( he says, hopefully)
  7. Kafn8td

Kafn8td Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I think I'm going to order one up and give it a try.
  8. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a LOT of info out on the web on how CAN buss works,,, and gives the voltage specs etc.. MOst USB ports cant provide much in the way of current, and the OBD2 gadget is not going to pass anything out off spec unless its a really bad one..

Have fun..

Dave
  9. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Still no definitive answers to this, other than a few comments on other threads that it does not work on a 990. I have been a little busy to try it myself. Maybe the TuneEcu cable does not bring out all connections?
  10. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the $23 OBDII Bluetooth scan tool and the free Tourqe app for Android. I connected the OBDII BT to my 2011 KTM 990 and it looked like it was connected. The Tourqe app was able to communicate with the OBDII BT, but did not "understand" the KTM codes. The Tourqe app did not display any engine info.

If anyone figures out how to make it work, please let me know.
  11. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Maybe you could get in touch with the developers of the app. When my project runs I would like this to.
  12. Pisti

Pisti Adventurer

Oddometer:

This thread is over a year old, but just perhaps you still interested to know, check it out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966994
  13. hutch990r

hutch990r Adventurer

Oddometer:

That is actually a pretty recent thread (started on 4/3/2014) . the APP is free and funtions very well. Pretty much a torque App specific for KTM. I was impressed