Airhead rear drive removal question

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Prairie Beemer, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Prairie Beemer

Prairie Beemer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to remove the rear final drive on my 1978 R60/7 for repairs off-site. Is it possible to do so without removing the right exhaust? The lower shock attachment bolt would appear to be problematic. Maybe I can detach the final drive from the drive shaft, loosen the shock bolts and then swing the thing up and away from the exhaust before removing the lower shock bolt.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    On my R100rs 1982 model, I can remove the final drive, with the right shock separated from the top mount but attached to the fd lower mount. That leaves the muffler on.

It's not too difficult to remove the muffler, and importantly, removing it gets it away from the bike and possible accidental damage from falling tools. Tiny little dents might be a huge eyesore to an owner, if the whole bike is otherwise in good nick.
  3. SprintSix

SprintSix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think if you remove the top shock bolts, the swingarm will be able to move up and down. Move it as needed to access whatever nut. You may want to do a spline lube as long as you are halfway there.