Where are all the supermotos going?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grinder96, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a problem. You are right, it is hard to tell when someone is joking or being a jerk. I have been accused of both and worse.:lol3 (must use more smileys)

I have a KLX650. It is similar in ergo's to a KLR, but the engine is different, more powerful. They were only shipped to the USA from 93-96 but were sold until the early 2000's elsewhere. I got it because @6'7" it fit me and the main purpose of commuting with light trails and occasional 2 up riding.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I missed this post and see that your have the challenge of requiring your bike to carry a larger than normal amount of weight. I personally would not suggest any 600 cc bike for this task, supermoto or not. You need a larger framed, heavier suspended and larger power source to meet your needs.

The SM630 has no problem with two up riding with 320 lbs total weight as a reference. However, for this particular bike, 500-550 lbs may be more than the bike could safely carry or for that matter any supermoto.

What type of bike do you own now?
  3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I agree. I'm 6-5 and about 250 with gear. My smaller friends joke (point and laugh) at me on my 640A. I'm one of only a few that make that bike look small. If you're another 50 lbs and wanting to carry the wife and gear while still being able to rocket down merge lanes, a single cylinder is not for you.

If you want something to do that I suggest a twin. A 950 Super Enduro with SM wheels would be trick. Or a 1200GS. Any sport tourer as well.
  4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Them Ducati Hypermotards look pretty sweet too...
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Kinda like it too except for the mirrors:puke1
  6. speedmaster

speedmaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put 17 inch wheels on my DR650 and haven’t looked back. I am surprised that SM hasn’t taken off more in the US. The bikes are fun to ride, there’s a lot of amateur racing around, I commute 30 miles a day on mine 9 months a year and they are cheap to insure and maintain. Plus you risk less in repairs if crashed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I guess we’ll (the SM faithful) just have to keep building our own for now.<o:p></o:p>
  7. jtworldwide2

jtworldwide2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After having it for a few years there is no way that i would give mine up. There are a few things it does not do well, you are not going to roll 100 miles on the highway a day and enjoy it. But tight stuff, dirt roads, fire roads, pot holes, street jumps(speed bumps) there is nothing that is more fun.
    Shamless pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another kalamazoo guy at local bike night we raided which is a typical harley chrome fest. Needless to say he got a couple looks
    [​IMG]
  8. JHV 654cc

JHV 654cc n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I think that average riders are afraid of the challenge what a supermoto can offer... :D
    I have KTM 660 and it's my only bike which has about 24000km on the clock and it keeps crowing every summer.
    It is good for touring and very good for track days... what else do you need?
    It's not perfect, but it will be interesting for the same reason that's why I bought it...for the challenge.
    Why everything has to be so easy nowadays...
    Stop whining and buy yourself a supermoto then you'll know what's the life's for. :D
  9. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:

nice SMJ video :evil

That looks like a group of us except there are way more there and I'm not that good at popping wheelies :deal

As stated before, I love my SM. Just bought another set of 17"s and some D606s so I can play on the power lines some more.
  10. SUPERPOWERPHIL

SUPERPOWERPHIL sounds like a plan..

Oddometer:
    Holy Bavarian Bombshell!!! That thing looks like a hell of a good time!:clap
  11. grinder96

grinder96 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a new conti front for my SM610....time to go wear it out!!
  12. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
  13. S.t.t.G.

S.t.t.G. Mind over metal...

Oddometer:
  14. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    It doesn't sound like your bike just needs more power. It sounds like it needs longer legs. Try a bike with better gearing spread. A hotrodded DR650 has longer legs and plenty of options available for comfort and storage.
  15. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not riding the right big singles. DRs, 690s, and TEs are pretty smooth unless something is wrong.
  16. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:

Pretty much what I was thinking too. :augie
  17. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
  18. JustGreg

JustGreg Fast as Molasses

Oddometer:
    OK. After seeing the video I get it. SuperMoTARD just means dirt bike with street tires and an immature rider. I havent missed anything.

yeah, yeah.....same to you!:ken

Actually, I wish I had one.
  19. S.t.t.G.

S.t.t.G. Mind over metal...

Oddometer:
    :freaky

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zsnlMRp8MZo" allowfullscreen="" width="853" frameborder="0" height="480"></iframe>
  20. Tech23

Tech23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DR Z400SM is still in production, it just doesn't come to the US...if I'm not mistaken it's available in Canada.

Honda has four street legal Supermoto models to choose from in Italy....

http://www.hmmoto.it/ita/scheda.asp?idFam=3&idProd=243

The Dual Sport segment has never been a large market in the US and the Supermoto market is an even smaller portion of that market. The manufacturers tend to put bikes in regions where the sell best, or least better. Back in the mid eighties Honda's Dual Sport lineup had five or six models to choose from. At that time sport bikes were just getting popular and the demand for those increased and demand for dual sports dropped off. For a long time it was just the XR650L, then the CRF230L was added and they just added the CRF 250L. Hopefully this growing lineup will continue to grow, and hopefully new SM models will follow.

As far as practical goes I built my DR 650SM purely for fun in the twisties. I took what is (and will always be) a heavy big bore single that is not particular nimble off road...the tighter things get the worse it becomes. It does do everything satisfactorily and nothing exceptionally. Converting it into Supermoto form gave me a light weight bike (by street standards) that handles pretty damn good and sticks to the road like a magnet...the tighter things get the better it is. Converting to SM made a mediocre bike much more fun and focused. I put a small roll bag on the back so I can ride with empty pockets and have a place to store stuff when I'm parked...and I have some storage space without hanging a set of samsonite matched luggage off the sides. I hope to see more street legal Supermoto models in the future because this bike is the most fun I've ever had on the street.

[​IMG]

I believe this is a picture of the 2012 Canadian DR Z400SM

<center> [​IMG]
    </center>
    <center>
    Tech23

</center>