Some off road boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mqo233, Feb 25, 2014.

1. mqo233

mqo233 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking for some off road water proof boots

I am asking for advise from the group on which brand and model would you suggest

Thanks to all for any help

James
  2. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alpinstars Tech 7.

[​IMG]

I replaced my Sidi Adventures with a set of these after I busted my leg. They're stiff, but easy enough to walk in. Comfortable enough and the price point wasn't bad.
  3. mqo233

mqo233 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at those after you suggestion

They are not water proof and that is something I am requiring

Thank you

James
  4. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure there are any actual waterproof offroad boots in the true sense of the word offroad. I know there are various opinions on what is a real offroad boot, that's up to you. I have been doing a ton of boot research recently trying to find boots and it's a PITA! The Alpinestars Toucan might be the closest you are going to get? I have read a number of posts about people wearing true offroad boots with waterproof socks as well, hopefully others will chime in.

Good luck.
  5. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I just bought a pair of AStars Toucan (stupid name) boots. They feel great! Not sure on the waterproofness but if it says GoreTex it is usually pretty good. These boots are very light weight, lots of protective plastic and hinged for your ankle's pleasure. It will be a big hit to the wallet but you pay for what you get.

Other options in waterproof offroad are the Sidi Adventure, Forma, Gaerne and TCX. Good luck in your search.
  6. mqo233

mqo233 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking at several you tube videos on the boots

I am just trying to make a inform decision

James
  7. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:

Finding an off-road boot that is waterproof is damn near impossible. Secondly, it depends on the type if riding you are doing. Given my experience, while the Sidi Adventure were very good, they can't be considered a "true" off road boot.

Plus, my Sidi Adventures LOST their "waterproof-ness" very quickly. The best solution I seal skin socks.
  8. macbethandbanquo

macbethandbanquo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Toucans were the best compromise for me too. The Crossfires were "too much" for my moderate dirt riding.
    Bonus is they look and work fantastic!
    One of my best boot buys!
    Also get lots of compliments on them. Weird!
  9. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gaerne Balance oiled, great boots depending on the riding you're doing. They're a little short and not hinged but they're waterproof.
  10. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Gaerne GX1
  11. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    My SIDI crossfires are not waterproof, my Gaerne balance oils are really waterproof, and incredibly comfy
  12. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    Another option..
    I have used the Klim covert socks to achieve waterproofing with a motocross boot in both a sidi crossfire and tcx oxtar boot. I do not need waterproofing all the time but on a ride where there is potential for a soak or cold wind I will wear them. Keep in mind that these socks are a two layer system and will feel tight in your boot. To compensate for this , I remove the insole of the boot. I have had good luck with this system for the riding I do.
  13. guyfawkes

guyfawkes Move along, nothing to see here

Oddometer:
    the regular Sidi Adventures or the Gore ones ?
    would be hard to believe that the Gore let water through...and even if you can always claim warranty from Gore.
  14. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:

They were supposed to be the Gore-tex models, and as far as the Gore-Tex warranty - well the Paramedics who cut the boot off my foot pretty much screwed up that opportunity.
  15. MotoDaveL

MotoDaveL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought some Canadian military goretex socks which come up to the top of my A* tech3's. They were about $30 and I have stood in water and can confirm that they are 100% waterproof.
  16. BISHOP

BISHOP Roadracer goes Dirt

Oddometer:
    You have a link for info and where to buy these socks?

Thanks!
  17. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Gaerne boots especially if you have large diameter calves.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
  18. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :gerg

Perspective is important. In moderate rain most good boots will keep you dry, but any boot can be "overwhelmed" in the right situation.

To wit: for a while four of us locally owned DR650's and we regularly rode the fire-roads in the nearby national forest. We would set a date and then ride rain or shine.

One of the guys wears only the best gear and his BMW gore-tex lined boots had always kept him dry.

But one memorable rainy day he went down in a deep mudhole. I was behind him and it unfolded as if in slow motion. He and the bike started down.

The bike disappeared under the water so that only the right handlebar tip was sticking up above the surface. :eek1

Then he slipped and fell and half-disappeared into the same water hole. :lol3

I skidded to a stop behind him and parked my bike and waded into the hole and grabbed his bike and stood it up (based on the theory that if he could get his feet under him he could stand up of his own volition). Hey, what are friends for? :freaky

Needless to say his gore-tex lined boots failed the test. They filled up with water, as did my waterproofed and usually "keeps me dry" work boots. We both sloshed water the rest of the day.

Later that year I bought a pair of Aerostich Combat Touring Boots and no sooner than I unpacked the box I applied a liberal coating of Aquaseal.

So far my feet have never gotten wet in the CTB's. But the boots are 14" high - I suspect that in 15" of water I would be in trouble!

:thumb
  19. dgjackson40

dgjackson40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought a pair of Forma Adventures. Have only gotten to use them a few times but two weeks ago I waded into a low water bridge to check the surface under the fast running water that was about 8 to 10 inches deep. Came out with warm dry feet and no problems throughout rest of the ride on melting ice and snow covered roads.
  20. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Sidi Crossfire TA's with a pair of gore tex socks.