Ural-a-ling the USA, Mr. Cob goes on tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mr. Cob, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I will leave the IMWA ( Ural ) headquarters building in Redmond Washington before noon on June 27th 2008, with luck I will return home by the middle of September 2008 after driving a new 2008 Ural "Gear-Up" around the entire USA.

I am starting the ride report now so you can see some of the planning and work that has gone into getting this ride on the road. As with all trips it starts with an idea, I have always wanted to do a round-a-bout tour of the USA but simply couldn't afford it. However I figured that if I talked to the folks at IMWA and convinced them what a great promotional deal this type of trip would be perhaps they would lend a hand. :wink: I told you folks long ago I was a world class bullshitter.:lol3

And so after a lot of arm twisting, smiling and just being a pest they probably in an effort to get rid of my arse for a few months consented to provide me with a brand new out of the crate Ural Gear-Up, on which to make this journey. :clap :clap :clap

When I say brand new in the crate, I am not kidding, here are just a few of the photos I took while the Master Ural mechanic Sergey assembled and then test rode the new rig. The complete sequence of assembly photos can be seen at my Smugmug web page.

Unloading the crate from the warehouse.
    [​IMG]

Opening the crate.
    [​IMG]

Random photos of the assembly in the order needed to build the rig.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sergey gives the new rig his approval.
    [​IMG]

A VERY HAPPY Mr. Cob, as he sits on and then rides the new rig for the first time.:evil :clap :deal
    [​IMG]

Some random photos taken during my rides to put the necessary break-in miles on the rig before it receives its first service. On one of these rides I was accompanied by fellow Uralista "Rapid Rider" Ken.

I met Ken at the Honda shop were we had a great breakfast.
    [​IMG]

We rode to Fort Cassy, to look at the gun mounts that were to protect the Seattle area if it had been attacked during WW2.
    [​IMG]

We rode by the Whidby Island Navel Air Station.
    [​IMG]

Here are some photos of the map I am using to plan the trip. Some of the folks I will be staying with I have not yet added to the map, some of the tags now on the map are of folks who only if time permits will I have the chance to visit with. There is a very slim chance that I will venture into the inner States it all depends on how much time I have and how much interest is generated at the trip progresses. You will notice that the northern most States have very FEW tags on them, either no body lives up there or nobody wants me to visit.:cry I guess I'll have to do a lot of camping while crossing that part of the country.

The full map.
    [​IMG]

The Nor-Wet.
    [​IMG]

The lower left coast.
    [​IMG]

The Southwest.
    [​IMG]

The Southeast.
    [​IMG]

The Northeast.
    [​IMG]

The Midwest.
    [​IMG]

The Northern Rocky's.
    [​IMG]

I am now figuring out what to take as far as clothing and gear, I will be traveling though the heat and humidity of the southwest and southeast and by the time I get home probably through some COLD windy and snowy areas of the high Rocky Mountain West. So I will be packing for all types of weather just in case I run into something nasty along the way.

The new rig right now is at IMWA headquarters where it is being setup to my specifications for the long journey, it will have an extra gas can mounted on either side of the rear of the hack, it will have a storage container mounted on the outside-front of the hack where I will keep all of the nasty weather gear close at hand in case of need. The rig will also be setup with a very nice tank bag made especialy for the Ural.

I will update this ride report next Monday evening when I get home after taking delivery of the new rig, then I will post photos of the rig ready to tour.

I will update the ride report while on the road as I have time and on-line access when I visit with the kind folks who have offered their hospitality to me. I know for a fact that I am going to run out of space on my Smugmug account while on this trip, keep this in mind if the photos don't show up. I don't have much bandwidth so sometimes when I post a lot of photos and a lot of folks look at them it over loads the account, this has happened in the past when I have done a photo loaded ride report and belive me this one is going to be LOADED with photos.:D

First, I want to thank IMWA for their generous support of this my latest madcap Adv-Ride, Ilya, Madina, Thank you I can't put into words how much this means to me and how proud I am that you have entrusted me with this new rig. :clap :clap :clap

Second, I want to thank all of the kind and generous folks on the "Soviet Steeds", "Russian Iron" and "Adv-Rider" lists who have invited me into their homes. There is no way I could have afforded to do a trip like this eating at restaurants and staying in motels for over two months. Without the hospitality of the folks on these Internet lists this trip could never have happened.:deal

I have been the recipient of the generosity of the Adv-Rider list "Inmates" on many occasions, everything from a lap top computer, to speakers, and cordless drills but the thing dearest to my heart was little "Rusty" the Adv-Weiner dog who was taken from us by a car when he ran out into the street. :cry For all of these things I am grateful but they pale in light of you folks welcoming me into your homes. Thank you, I hope to do you all proud as I wander around the USA for the next couple of months. :wink: :evil :clap :deal
  2. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    this is so cool! Good on you, Mr Cob, for pulling this off. Or at least giving it a shot :-)

Hey, if you need a break on your way out of town I'm in West Seattle :lol3
  3. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    :thumb AWESOME! if you get through KC we will have to get a BBQ night going in your honor.
    heading out to ride Colorado north to the border on the Continental Divide with some friends on the 12th myself.

Safe travels Mr, Cob:ricky

ps, man I drool evertime I see a Gearup photo.:tb
    got a few things to take care of but I see one in my future in a couple of years.

My Dad was stationed at Whidbey from 60-64.:thumb
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Congrats Mr. Cob :thumb This is gonna be an awesome tour!! Thanks for the intro!!

:lurk :lurk
  6. Farmer_Ted

Farmer_Ted Crazy Kid!

Oddometer:
    If you come through Kansas city, I'd love to meet up. My dad and I have a '06 Ural Patrol... I'm sure he wouldn't mind you staying the night also...
  7. Redhead

Redhead Jieserro Mulla-Ga-Noof

Oddometer:
    :lurk This is going to be good!
  8. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    Have fun, Dave! What kind of MPGs does a Gear Up get? Is Spot going to ride along?
  9. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    there was a female motorcycle journalist that did this some time ago - are you following in her footsteps? If so, don't forget to write about the budding love affair!:lol3
  10. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. :thumb

I hope I get to have coffee with you in Bodega Bay. If not, I'll wave as you ride by on your way to Sacramento. :deal

Have a great trip!
  11. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy DD,

I just might take you up on your offer of hospitality, I am going to be pretty darn tired by the time I get to West Seattle. :rofl Thanks for your well wishes.
  12. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy KTMRyder,

There is a saying among Uralistas "Resistance is futile", just spend the money and enjoy yourself. Thank your Dad for his service to our country.
  13. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Gadget Boy,

I am going to do my best to make this a good tour and ride report, I owe a lot of folks for giving me the chance to do this.
  14. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Farmer Ted,

Please follow the ride report, as my plan now stands I won't be going to your area but that could change. If I do swing your way please PM me a reminder of your offer of hospitality. I wish I had more time, I have had enough offers of hospitaltiy to spend at least a year on the road.
  15. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Redhead,

I hope so, it better be, it will be.:evil
  16. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Drybones,

Driven like a sane human being, at reasonable speeds, in low or no wind, on level or gently rolling ground, 32-36 mpg. Driven the way I normally do, which will NOT be happening while on this tour, 23-28 mpg.

Spot, will not be with me on this trip. Its hard enough to ask folks to let me in the door let alone my Dog, that and if I have to camp or do the motel thing having him would really complicate matters. I sure am going to miss the little bugger.
  17. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy Mr. Cob..... Looking forward to your trip. :lurk I'm not sure if I told you out at DVDaze, but you are welcome to stay with Bonnie and I when you come through Colorado if the timing works out.
  18. Pete156

Pete156 I love to eat!

Oddometer:

yes Dave..............it will be great!

oh yeah, carry some Tums for the hot spots.:knary
  19. funklab

funklab high plains drifter

Oddometer:
    Cant wait for you to get underway Mr Cob!:clap
  20. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy FWIW,

I think the lady your talking about was named Carla King. I am not following anyone, I don't know for sure what route I am taking between stops, when I get up in the morning I'll decide which roads to take, when and where to stop, etc.:evil

Budding love affair, :lol3 :rofl I have been told by many that I "have a face made for radio" never have been much of a ladies man so it is not in the cards for any on road romances. If I were to be raped while on tour I had better have a heart attack while in the act or my wife will kill me when I get home.:deal