For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. BOBMUNZ

BOBMUNZ In jail for a while.

Oddometer:
    Alright folk, after alot of talking I figured it was about time that somebody started a little thread that us Winnipegers and southern Manitobans can use as a simple way of letting others know if we are planning a ride instead of using the northern riders thread (which is quite large and hard to follow at times)

The purpose of this thread is to set up rides or just throw out an open invitation for anybody listening to join up and hit the dirt (or pavement if your into that kind of thing).

I would like people to avoid using this as a thread for posting pictures and off topic conversations, yes you can link to a thread of pictures you took on a ride, but lets avoid letting this thread balloon out of controll and turn into another northern riders thread.

Please try to keep postings simple such as:

Date: June 7th
    Time: Noon
    Meeting Point: The Forks
    Destination: Agassiz Forest (or no destination if its not decided)

Sound good? (and no im not planning a ride for tomorrow, thats just an example)
    Guntar likes this.
  2. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Heard mention of doing a run to Bissett..... Speedracer are you going set up a date and time for this one ? I imagine it will be an over nighter somewhere in the Nopoming Park.
  3. jimtoe

jimtoe Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer:
    The Peg 2 seasons short summer & long winter
    I will be watching for rides. Bisset sounds like fun.

Great idea on the local post. I do want to join in on one of the Northern Ontario rides though. That is such nice country.
  4. BOBMUNZ

Oddometer:
    Planning to do an over nighter in the whiteshell area on June 13th over to a day of riding on June 14th.

Its not set in stone that it will be the whiteshell but I was hoping to head out to the shield. Anybody is welcome to come and it is supposed to be fairly warm with no chance of snow :lol3

Let me know what people think as I would like to get some details hammered out at least a couple days in advance :bash.

Perhaps I will toss a link over in the Northern Riders thread and see if we can get any interest from that area.
  5. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about taking friday off and exploring the Beltrami State Forest in MN. A roughly 600km day. I've been there before, roads are nicely graded gravel/sand. There's a couple "drive in backcountry" camping sites I want to check out. Leave wpg about 7am, try to be home for dinner. Any retired or lightly employed folks interested? :ear

Roughly this route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...-95.830994&sspn=0.967613,1.856689&ie=UTF8&z=8
  6. 'Dumbdog

'Dumbdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to soix narrows/maybe fortfrancis that weekend... could ride partway with you if you like...would be leaving early am... on the 13th
  7. speedracer

speedracer The Lucky One

Oddometer:
    Middle of Canada.......no really.........it is
    Yea, I'm thinking it would be somewhere north of Nopiming actually. It's a great road with lost of variety. Everything from riding on sand, gravel, grass. Sometimes there's even a little water to play in depending on the rain. Over night along one of the many lakes would be nice with a little fishing, campfire, etc. Let me put my thinking cap on for a date and I'll let you know soon.

8. jimtoe

Oddometer:
    Humvee I would like to join you on that run but work Thursday thru Saturday for the next few weeks. You could take Monday and I could join you if you get no takers. Forcast for Monday sunny and 26.
  9. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    JimToe - glad to have some interest in the ride.

There's some meetings I really should be at on Monday, for me that day "shouldn't" be an option.

However - I'll see how Friday plays out. If I wake up and feel like working (right!) I'll go to work. If the skies look good...I'll go riding.

Either way, I'll let you know - maybe tomorrow.:deal
  10. jimtoe

Oddometer:
    Tuesday or Wednesday work for me. I will not be able to miss work as I only wark a few days a week.
  11. speedracer

speedracer The Lucky One

Oddometer:
    Middle of Canada.......no really.........it is
    How about July 10,11,12 for the ride to Bissett?? Looks as good as any.

12. Winterpeg

Winterpeg MonsterKLR

Oddometer:
    Thats it! any rides in manitoba?
  13. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the board. :freaky What kinda riding you looking to do?
  14. BOBMUNZ

Oddometer:
    I'll see what i can do about getting the time off for bissett, would we be leaving later on friday, or early? If it was later on friday then it may be easier to get time.
  15. jimtoe

Oddometer:
    I just got word I am working evenings for the next three weeks Monday thru Thursday followed by three weeks of Monday thru Wednesday 12 hour days. Humvee after this week I will be free to ride for the next six weeks Friday till Sunday.

If you do end up going nest week I am in.
  16. 'Dumbdog

Oddometer:
    I'm takin my fz1 and wife for a ride to Souix narrows ont tommorow.
    will be leaving Tim Hortons on main in Selkirk at about 7:30 am

anybody interested in going with?

Soix Narrows is south of Kenora, if that helps, it's a day trip.

[​IMG]
  17. BOBMUNZ

Oddometer:
    I'd like to but sadly I work tomorrow. I really need a different job :(
  18. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry JimToe - I couldn't ignore the call of the wild and headed out today.

Not much of a story to tell, but I had a great time and saw some neat stuff.

Link to facebook pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=100727&id=625201085&l=25062b67af
  19. BOBMUNZ

Oddometer:
    So I'm headed out around 2pm to the Big Whiteshell Lake, planning on spending the night and doing some riding tomorrow, If anybody is interested in joining me call me at 1-204-295-7677.
  20. 'Dumbdog

Oddometer:
    700 kms in 11 hrs.

left Tims in Selcrack mb at 7:30 am
    Rode down 44 to 12 took a one hour detour for breakfast at Robins Drive In at the corner of hwys 12 & 317 then took 317 to 11 off 11 to Seven Sisters and the Whiteshell.
    Detour to Falcon Lake for a coffee.
    off to Ontario on hwy 1.
    some construction on the Ontario side, ending before Clearwater bay.
    bypass Kenora...
    Stopped at Rushing River Store for a chocolate bar...
    Saw a big assed black bear on the hwy...
    Lunch at Totem Lodge...
    Visited the Gift shoppes at Souix Narrows.
    one stop at Rushing River park, then off to Westhawk Lake.
    Getting Gas at Westhawk, bumped into a nice kid on a Ducati sr2, rode with him through the park...Back in MB (near whitemouth?) 44 is torn up and all gravel, the kid decided to turn off towards hwy 1, I kept on 44.
    All you dualsport riders would've been proud to see how well a fz1 handles in the dirt and gravel....
    turns back to asphalt before hwy 11 intersection (so street rider going to Westhawk..be advised detour off 44 to 11 and take the Seven Sisters route).
    and home by 6:30.
    Guntar, Oznay and ACR like this.