chain tools

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by TexPaul, May 6, 2010.

1. TexPaul

TexPaul Lost, again!

Oddometer:
    We're headed to Alaska soon and the wife's new F650GS twin is the first chain drive bike I've had in years so I'm looking for suggestions on spare parts and tools for roadside repairs on the 525 O ring chain. In the old days, before rivited chain, all you needed was a master link or two and a length of chain but the new rivited chain looks to require a bit more tecnology for fixes. So, what's in your tool kit/garage that can be carried on the road?
  2. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya can't go wrong with Motion Pro tools!

LINKY

That one will handle rivet links.

This is what I use on the clip link masters -

LINKY

:thumb
  3. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can go wrong with motion pro tools if you are silly and don't read the fine print lol

if you go to motion pro's website they make a light chain breaker called the T6, but it is not strong enough to rivit chains and can't break a link unless you grind the head off.

I determined this the hard way, and then read the disclaimer on the packaging.

The tool in the First link above is the one I'm using trailside and in a shop enviorment. It has held up well but note: with HQ HD chains, you need a file or such to grind off some of the revit before the tool can pres it out.

Works just fine without fileing on the weak chains the f twin gs's come with.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I'm still using my OEM chain (11K miles - no issues, I do lube frequently).

I've never had a problem using a NON-riveted master link, but on the other hand, the F658GS is the highest horsepower bike I've owned....

Are the clip style master links a bad idea for bikes with this much HP?

I don't see any disclaimers or guidelines on the chain mfg. websites indicating that they are inferior ... but then I might have missed it.

I always make sure the link is fully "clipped", installed with open end to the back, and then must for good measure I put a dab of silocone over the link clip.

Opinions? :ear
  5. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't know about this high HP claim. Take a look around at the sport bike set. They've (Me) have been using them for years and nary a problem. I've run them on bikes with over 150 HP at the rear wheel and never hesitated or worried about them.

The key with linked clips is to not over pinch the master, clip in the direction as you state, and clean the link really well and seal it with silicone to hold the clip in place. Never had an issue, ever!
  6. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clips are fine (IMHO) it spawns debate like oil threads. I have run clips on several bikes for some time.

Get the clip direction right and get good tools. I use a press for the master and then the "light breaker" to pull the side link back to ensure I haven't over pressed the master. No worries so far. Plus if you carry a spare (or 2) if a chain ever lets go do to some misfortune you can patch it back together.

I carry extra links and masters whenever I go bad places. Never needed them. It's kind of like lion repellant...:evil
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Thanks....

I come from the world of 250cc - 400cc bikes
    "high HP" is a relative term I guess... :lol3
  8. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    I use the DID X-ring with clip. No uni-tasker tools needed.

SHOULD you have a broken chain (doubtful), your question should be

Q - 'how do I get this broken link off so I can add my spare link?'

A - Small hacksaw and lot's of time, cause your not gong anywhere anyhow.:lol3