New KLR650 rider

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Jon B., Jun 1, 2010.

1. Jon B.

Jon B. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had my ('04) KLR for about a month now, and am getting to where I feel more comfortable on it. I've learned something about these things...

My road machine, for serious traveling, is an '09 HD Road King. Comfy seat, windshield, electronic cruise control, etc. For putting on miles, it's a damn nice ride. I'm taking it around Lake Superior in a few weeks, even.

And, while I find cruising on the HD to be pleasing and comfy, riding that hard-seated, high and unwieldy, heavy and high-revving KLR is flat out FUN! Since it came to me used, with ~3400 miles on it, and a few minor scratches, the idea of dropping it and scuffing it doesn't bother me at all. I don't care if it gets muddy or dusty. And scootin' down loose gravel at 50-55 miles per hour seems perfectly normal.

I spent the long Memorial Day weekend fixing up a garage - roof & siding - so jumped on the klr for an evening ride around 8 pm yesterday. I spent an hour just bopping around on gravel township roads, not going anywhere in particular, and returned home rested and rejuvinated.

Who needs a holiday weekend when you have a fun machine?

Jon B.
  2. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the fold.
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    :wink: I know what you mean. I picked up my 2010 last Thursday and It rained and snowed until last night. As soon as it quit I was out riding. I have an FZ 1 that is much more powerful and sleek looking, but the KLR is a total blast to ride (big grin factor). Only upgrade (before I took it home) were braided steel brake lines. Engine/Rad gaurds are on order, as well as better hand gaurds, and I put paint protection film on the tank last night before I took it out.
  4. grinder96

grinder96 Long timer

Oddometer:
    mine is a 89' kler 650 and I dont see much value to it so it is usually the one that gets taken to school, market....wherever. I wont be devestated if I come out and its on its side. We all know its been there before:rofl

What a great all round tractor!!!
  5. Theaty Hannington

Theaty Hannington Long timer

Oddometer:
    So true.

I spent all weekend packing, cleaning, and moving. But even just hoping on it to ride to work this morning was cleansing.

You're no KLR rider. What is this paint-protector crap? KLR's are supposed to induce :puke2in viewers - it is their built-in, extremely-effective anti-theft device. Anyways, good luck with the KLR! At least you're out there riding, even if it is with paint-protector. Sigh. ;)

When I was buying mine the guy sheepishly said on the phone, "It has been down in the woods once, and once in a parking lot." I replied, "Then it IS a KLR! I'll take it."

Congrats man!
  6. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    You have discovered the joy of the KLR. :D

Soon you shall find dust gathering on the HD, of the several bikes in my garage the KLR seems to get the nod 90% of the time.:wink:
  7. mark72

mark72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too just got a new 2009 KLR 650 and have 3 star crusers I've had the KLR for two weeks and ride alost every day I belong to star riders and have not gone on any of the rides with the guys but this monday I did and all I could think about is I wish I was riding the KLR this is so borring..
  8. rob feature

rob feature pull my finger

Oddometer:
    You sure somebody didn't switch out some stickers on ya? :lol3
  9. thevanrat

thevanrat 2009 KLR

Oddometer:
    Hey Jon (original post guy) you could not have said it better. I have a fellow KLR owner chum that has realized the same thing, he has a massive Yamaha fake Harley that he insists on detailing every time he takes it out and back from a ride. He now prefers to tour with his farkled KLR. The idea or concept of "doing it" on a thumper that weighs as much as a train and cost most of us less than five G's (initially) to get into.....

The KLR seems to call to us,...

"ride me, abuse me, I like it rough and dirty".

A non KLR friend on mine saw my 400 mile bike recently, and said, "jee, you have some scratches on your plastics already".

I explained that I earned those, they were mine, and there would be more coming. He did not get it.

Congrats on the experience. PRICELESS.

FYI, not sure what part of Minnesota you are in, shoot me a PM if you want to go waste some time some day and burn some gas- I am always up for an adventure, day trip, etc.

Paul from Elk River.

[​IMG]
  10. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    Welcome jon b to the dark side :lol3 Go out ride it hard put it away dirty and wash it when it rains. They only get better with age. Can't say that with many bikes.

Enjoy :clap :clap :clap
  11. waltwhitman

waltwhitman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D
  12. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought a set of new tires with heavy duty tubes for less than a new rear would cost for my FJR. The KLR's a hoot.
  13. Kingsqueak

Kingsqueak Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Heh. The most common comment on my new ride in the work parking lot was "I guess you can't ride that more than ten miles or so" with regard to the seat.

"You all ride bicycles right?....this seat is a couch compared to that....there's no problem emptying the tank on this seat."

Lots of people don't get dual-sports...I'm really glad they caught my eye and I found this site a bunch of years back.
  14. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    I find riding with bicycle shorts on under my suit very very comfortable and it stops the monkey butt too.

the klr is awsome. all the nay sayers are just jealous they dont have one..ha ha..