KTM 640 LC4 - parts swap to lighter bike?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gringostd, Feb 12, 2013.

1. gringostd

gringostd Rubber side up

Oddometer:
    I have a 1999 KTM LC4 Enduro - that's the one with conventional forks [smaller axle]. I love it, but I am considering moving to a smaller, lighter dual sport bike [450?]. Thing is, I've put a bunch of good aftermarket stuff on this bike, and I know you never really make your money back on add-ons in a sale. I'm wondering how much of it might fit a smaller KTM - or even another manufacturer.

The things I'm really curious about are as follows:
    - Wheels - I have a spare set of 18 / 21's as well as a set of 17's from a Duke
    - KTM 18L tank [not the adventure tank - the one in between]
    - KTM comfort seat
    - Rear shock [just had it rebuilt by Superplush]
    - Sprockets [several different gearing configurations]

Not a deal-breaker, I know I can always sell this stuff separately or just take my lumps in the sale of the bike - but worth researching. I seem to recall that there was a lot of crossover with this era KTMs.

Thanks in advance!
  2. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    18L tank and the comfort seat are a popular mod for owners of the 625 SXC. It was a frequently sought item a few years ago but there seems to be less SXC owners out there now, maybe the vibes killed them off :D

If the rear wheel is a cush and it's fitment is the same as the 2001 it'll fit the SXC and the 525/450 EXC also and it's a desirable item. The front wheel is probably the mechanical speedo pickup and isn't as desirable.

The 17's would sell well and get good money. It depends on what the fitment is, if they fit all years through 2003 they'll sell better than just upto 2000.

So you have two shocks?

You'll always get more money selling the items seperately versus including them with the bike.
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    The rear sprockets and wheels and will fit although the front might need a custom axle or wheel spacers due to the smaller axle diameter.

The rest won't fit, but should be easy to sell at a good price.
  4. Hero Traction

Hero Traction n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Gringostd... I would be very interested in the 18L tank, the rear wheel and sprockets. My 625 SXC needs that tank and It would certainly be put to good use. PM me if you would like. Thanks!
  5. gringostd

gringostd Rubber side up

Oddometer:
    Yup - pretty much what I figured for cross-over fitment. May think about a 450.

Thanks everyone - seems like the take-away is to pick the lighter bike I really want, not to worry too much about re-purposing the add-ons I've put on the LC4. Sounds like they'll be easy to re-sell. I'll keep all this in mind as I make my decision.

Thanks!
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I had a 99 640e for 12 years. Loved it but it was getting a little long in the tooth. And I wanted something a little smaller to fit my needs - most the time I haul, unload then ride. The bike was like a claw hammer - never let me down. Just some little electrical and carb stuff put me over the edge.
    [​IMG]
    Last spring I sold my Vmax and KTM and added a 2012 exc 500. LOVE IT!:clap I hope I get the same life out of this rig.
    [​IMG]

It even came with a set of little wheels. Something I always wanted to do to my LC4. I added a comfort seat, rack and same tool bag to make it more like my old ride. As well as traditional orange and black plastics.
    [​IMG]

Good luck and let us know what ya get.
  7. Dack

Dack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gringostd,
    I would also be interested in the tank and comfort seat. PM me as well if the previous poster passes.

Dack
  8. gringostd

gringostd Rubber side up

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for the help. I actually decided to scoop a fresher 640 LC4. Been really happy with the bike - going to stick with what works.

I'm swapping parts over, and I came up with an extra comfort seat. Some of you here asked for one, if I ended up with one to sell. Take your pick of color ways - all black or black and silver. Sorry, no tank to sell, at this time.

Looks like these aren't available anymore, new. I think they were like $150 or $200, when new. How about $100?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]