2012 KTM 350 freeride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bikeaddict, Oct 18, 2011.

1. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Why?
    It has the similar power output and more capacity. Going by on paper specs, i would have no doubt it would surpass a WRR's longevity.
    Thats the point too, its a lazy donk rather than a racey explosive bike like the 350exc.
    And whats very unusual from other motorcycles that have lazy donks, is the weight. Its lighter than the race equivalent.
    This is a very special motorcycle indeed...
  2. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:

Because it seems to have a 350 RACING engine stuffed in it.

Engine looks the same as 350 EXC, has same bore and stroke, most likely same oil capacity...
  3. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the very main point of that bike for me personally is and was fact, that engine is VERY de-tuned.
    This automatically raises bar for wear and reliability, leave aside all torque talks.
    The engine is less stressed, so much less stressed I can see it being much more reliable than WR and easier on service. But only time will tell.
    Yeah, and one more thing. Leave aside 350EXC - when I tested WR (admittedly - on streets) I had to find tall kerb to get onto bike and use same kerb when I stopped. Because my feet were 10 cm from ground at least.
    So - this new KTM is answer for shortypants like me.
  4. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    In that same sense, the R1 motor is also a racing engine in the GP. The WR250R takes 1 lug off it, and detuned.

The 350 freeride motor may have racing heritage, but any race motor that has power output reduced for longevity will last a long time.

The KTM LC8 motor was raced in the dakar, but is proven to last well over 200,000kms because they have detuned it below 100HP (while even the TL1000R suzuki twin makes 110+HP)
  5. flatboarder

flatboarder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not true, in particular.
    The engine looks like the EXC engine, but was modified internally.
    For instance they inserted steel valves instead of titanium for better durability.
  6. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:

I had a WRR. R1 is a street bike.

I'm curious how they have made the 350 more reliable. If it's reliable and cheap, i get it.
    They could have just made the 350 EXC more reliable/low maintenance, it has better suspension, bigger tank and really doesn't weigh that much more.
  7. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me, a motorcycle like the Freeride has a very different role from an EXC350. An EXC350 is a very fast offroad race bike that will get you through pretty much any trail. But it is going to work you hard on really rough, low speed terrain. All fast bikes make you work when you are picking your way through snot.

The Freeride seems to me more like a hybrid trials/enduro bike that you would ride to make that same terrain a lot easier and, to me, a lot more fun to ride. Those are two entirely different missions. What you call better suspension on an EXC wouldn't be appropriate for how I would use the bike because I want soft suspension

Neither would the huge amount of power an EXC350 puts down. An engine tuned to pull from down low without a "hit" anywhere in the rpm range is perfect. I wanted an offroad bike in the stable that is small, very light weight, softly sprung and has good pulling power from zero rpm's to ride rock gardens and miserable trails.

Too bad I started rolling my own before I knew about this. But at least I will have $5000 more in my checking account when I get finished. :lol3
  8. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, you hit the nail on the head with regards to the Freeride. Its not meant for dualsporting, or for racing, it's a fun lightweight trial/trail/woods bike. Unfortunately, the KTM websites in Canada and the US don't show the Freeride, only the European ones. Hopefully it will show up in North America because this for me is the perfect dirtbike.

9. flatboarder

flatboarder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had been riding a Yamaha Tricker for 3 years, starting with 2006.
    The Tricker had 120kg and an engine well suited for difficult climbing or riding slow and difficult passages. The Tricker engine had 19HP (EU). It would not give a lot of speed or perform at steep and long uphills, but it was extremely easy to ride for those slow and funny sections.

The KTM Freeride would be my idea of a bike doing all things the Tricker could do. And I used it for everything including vacation rides in or through Italy (click weblink above).
    But the Freeride could do it much better.

The Tricker for instance had 6l of fuel, but its engine consumed more then 4l/100km, which was way too much for it. I would expect fuel consumption considerable lower than 4l/100km with the Freeride, therefore everything would be possible that was possible with the Tricker despite its small fuel tank.

The Tricker had a cheap Teikei carburator that was kind of cumbersome, also suspension was weak, und those small wheels introduced a bad restriction of available tires. This was the reason I sold it, but I definitely wanted to replace it with something better.

I do like the WR250R I got me as a Tricker replacement in 2009, but in fact it is no replacement, since it is totally different. The Tricker was a true playbike compared to the WR.
    And I want that back :evil
  10. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:

From everything I've been reading I would bet a large chunk of money it is the fruit of the new Indian connection for KTM and may be assembled in Austria, but most certainly the parts are sourced from India. But, I'd also be willing to bet a smaller amount of scratch it is completely Indian.:deal
  11. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Austrian prices include NOVA tax, Germany is normally 10% cheaper, and the US even more.
  13. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    current in Germany 6995
    Italy 7200

Wait 6 month after release :) it'll be less.
    Anyway - as I said before - WR costs more here ....
  14. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Belgium...f...k.
    7200 Euro.
    Well, better than Netherlands. 7949!!!!

OK, I am off to organs market :lol3
  15. TEZZA

TEZZA ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer:
    When you get a new bike ship the TLR 200 to me ????:ear
    Tezza:D

16. windquest

windquest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Love the look of the tiny dual exhaust...
  17. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    Great.. A STREET LEGAL trials bike with a seat, AND a dealer network... There went $8,000...
  18. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. :) With a much bigger tank and a seat, and probably more steering rake and so on. And a plonker 350, better thaan a 230 or something. And standard KTM enduro lights. Perfect.

Some of the older guys will remember the OSSA Explorer. OSSA 1970's trials bike with slightly more rake and higher final gearing and a bigger tank and seat. This KTM is sort of like a modern version of that.

Maybe just a case of what I can sell to get one. There is nothing else like it. We've even thought how it would be good to put a plonker engine like the Yamaha 230 in a KTM 200EXC.
  19. lowbudget

lowbudget _twin brothers on the go_

Oddometer:
    My stab on a Freeride... Finally got around testing a trials tire on the 200...

100kg, Large fueltank, something around 35hp, quiet when not reved to the max etc, probably better suspension etc.

And it´s even cheaper than the 350 Freeride

[​IMG]
  20. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Looks like Ossa's going to be making a modern version of that bike too.

[​IMG]

This one is not too far off-topic either.

[​IMG]