DRZ Forks and HPN Tank on a R100 GS PD

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Daithi, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok great. I was waiting for the owner to drop by so I could make a photo.

A R1200C front rim is the same size. There must be plenty of those out there.Most are replaced for ones without chrome.
    But you have to find a way to take of the remaining chrome !
  2. naginalf

naginalf Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer:
    Yes, thanks for the info Prutser, I hadn't even considered a bigger wheel to raise the back, I was all worried about getting a longer shock and adjusting the motor for the increase in angle (I remember you saying there was a kit for that, do you have a brand or store that sells that?). But for the money I'm seeing BMW wheels and/or rims going for here in the states, one might as well spend the $300 on an excel rim, but you'd be strictly tube type. For that matter, you could go one step farther and put a 2.5" x 19" rim on the back and gain almost 2 inches, you'd have to use front DOT tires like the TKC80 in 110/80/19, but there's plenty of 19" mx rears. Oh, wait, will the 19" tire clear the swingarm I wonder? And now that I've thought of that, I notice that you guys are using the 18" rim on a G/S, will that work on a paralever GS? I noticed you said it worked on the oilheads.
  3. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen the kits on ADV. And on some German sites (I will ask Matt (boxer supplies)where they come from.. Personally I prefer the 18" rim.Because of the bigger choice in tires. If you go for the Exel's its even better but not cheap. They are so much lighter. Or would you like to use it for off road only ?
    But for traveling a tubeless is an easy repairable tire.
    More and more companies are developing real MX tubeless tires.But they are still testing them...!!

If u use the DRZ fork you could mount the axle clamps higher on the bottom tube. So the front of the bike will be 1" lower without losing wheel travel.. !

!8" in the !00GS (paralever) is no problem but don't know about the 19".
    I don't like the TKC that much..
  4. Daithi

Daithi Destination Unknown.

Oddometer:
    I've sent emails to some of the breakers I know of asking for any of these rims, the advantages of the 18" make it a no-brainer, hopefully I'll get one. I have a 1100 hub which means I don't have to strip the GS wheel I've on at the minute. If anyone out there has an 18" rim please let me know.
    I was checking my own setup and it looks like a 2.5" rim at 18" will fit fine with the R100GS paralever, really appreciate the advice Prutser. [​IMG]
  5. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I haven't followed your thread completely, but it's possible to put traditional rims on a GS hub. I did it with a front R100GS hub. woodies wheel works can seal off the spokes to make a traditional rim tubeless, about $100 USD. Not sure if anyone offers that across the pond.
  6. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haan wheels can do it. But thats in NL.
  7. mendoje

mendoje Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in this! Prustser, can you provide more details?
    Thanks, Jeff

8. Daithi

Oddometer:
    That's with USD forks only ?

I'd prefer to hang on to the ground clearance. :evil

The 18" rim still eludes and I don't want to go to the expense of shipping the hub and rim to Woodies Wheels.
    What will do me is WHEEL RIM FRONT - 2,50X18MTH2

BMW Part Numbers: 36317651831
    or
    or

Or a R1200C front rim !

Part 36312335360 (WHEEL RIM FRONT):
    59C1:
    59C1 R 1200 C 97 (0424,0434) ohne, USA
    59C1 R 850 C 99 (0421) ohne, Europe
    59C1 R 1200 C 97 (0424,0434) ohne, Europe
    59C3:
    59C3 R 1200 C Indep. 00 (0405,0433) ohne, Europe
    59C3 R 1200 C Indep. 00 (0405,0433) ohne, USA

Should be easy to find.:eek1
  9. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its with the right side up fork.
    [​IMG]

On one of your photo's I can see you put the fork through the triple clamp.
    Do you know how much wheel travel there is between the front tire and the bottom triple clamp ?
    If its the fork I think it is it should be able to make 290mm.

By putting the axle clamp higher on the bottom tube you could lower the front to match the rear height. WITHOUT shortening the travel of the fork.
  10. Daithi

Oddometer:
    Wow, I didn't know they slid up and down on the bottom tube and thanks for posting the photos Prutser, how do you move them and more importantly how do you lock them again ??
  11. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are screwed on. If you find someone with a lathe that can cut the thread inside the axle clamp a bit further you would be done. A bit of loctite and ready to go.....!
  12. bikecat

bikecat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've worked with these before. After the chrome is removed, there is another layer of nice shiny metal that can only be removed by blasting (chemical dip will affect the spokes).

Unless the spokes are removed and then the rim can be treated. The re-spoking will have be done then, likely by Woodys or one of the other few BMW wheel rebuilders.
  13. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have blasted and than powder coated them most of the time.
  14. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't the wheel bottom out under the front guard before all the travel was used up ?
  16. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the travel is used all the way. There is still space between the bottom triple and the tire.
    And thats the space you could mount the axle clamps higher .

The picture shows the fork at the max travel with the tire Not touching the fender.
    Under the triple just enough space for the dust seal.[​IMG]
  17. Daithi

Oddometer:
    That's a clever one, well spotted Prutser and thanks for all the advice, I owe ya one. :freaky

I've decided to go with a tubed rim, I just cant find an 18" rim for reasonable money. I'll give central wheels a shout to see
    about the cost of offsetting the rim on my 1100GS hub. Apart from positioning the rear brake master cylinder and fitting
    an 18" Enduro tyre to the back I'll be done.
  18. naginalf

naginalf Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer:
    I just ran a quote with Woody's to "superlace" up an excel 18"x2.5" rim onto my stock rear R100GS hub and he warned me to make sure that there wouldn't be clearance issues because the customers that have requested them went back to 17s. However, the example he quoted (incidentally, the same one Daithi showed by Stephen Botcher) was a paralever to monolever conversion. Anyway, Prutser, are you absolutely certain that a standard, center laced 18x2.5 will fit on the back of my bike? I guess I need to take a look and see just how much room is back there, bike's been down for a bit and I've been ignoring her.
  19. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did sent a pic in a pm to Daithi that showed the 18" rim in my former R100gs Paralever.
    The new owner had the wheel laced up by Haan wheels in NL.
    I did make pics from the clearance. I will try to post them tomorrow.
    I Can ask the guy to drop by and measure if its off center. And how much if thats the case !
  20. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do not have the offset data right now. Hope to give some real measurements soon.
    The tire on the wheel is a bridgestone TW302 130/80-18.
    For off road he uses Michelin AC10 120/90-18