GSAW - sticky seat in the heat

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ianwalberg, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ianwalberg

ianwalberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock seat on my 2014 GSAW has been getting progressively more sticky to the touch over the last couple of months and also leaving residue on my jeans.

I originally thought it was related to something falling from some trees that are close to where I park. However over the last week I have parked clear of these and it is still happening.

From what I can see in the cooler mornings (I am in California) it is not sticky but by the afternoon in the heat it is.

Anyone else noticed this? I have an Olive Green GSA and the seat is grey.

Thanks, Ian
  2. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    Try one of these sweaty bollox!!!:lol3
    [​IMG]
    You can order them from here.... www.mistymountainsheepskin.com
    [​IMG]

& before anyone pipes in with derogatory comments, No I don't have any links with this business, I am just a customer!:deal
  3. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Very common problem with various cycle seats, you can put a cover over the seat when parked, I had my wife sew some elastic around a piece of terrycloth cut to the shape of my seat for my old GS to keep the seat clean and cool, I need to do the same for my GSW.
  4. ianwalberg

Oddometer:
    I will be heading into my local dealer next week to get their view.

As far as I can see it is melting/disintegrating in the sun/heat.

:(
  5. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

Good luck with that one.
  6. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    That's a crazy issue. I live in El Paso, my bike is an outdoor bike. No seat issues on the '12 GSA seat, maybe the new ones are made out of a different material? Or perhaps some kind of chemical got on to it.
  7. Pickup man

Pickup man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put a cover over the bike when you park it for the day. Keeps the sticky fingers away, as well as the sticky seat.
  8. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

It is a different vinyl altogether, softer and maybe a little less durable, I've scuffed my seat with my boot throwing a leg over it.
  9. Ari

Ari Been there done that

Oddometer:
    I've notice the same thing.
  10. ianwalberg

Oddometer:
    Mine has got significantly worse and I am finally heading up to the dealer tomorrow and see if they can explain it.
  11. GSDonovan

GSDonovan There and back again

Oddometer:
    My seat melted on my '08 GSA....and BMW replaced it under warranty. The replacement did not melt...at least for the couple of years I owned it with the replacement seat. Its not normal, go get it replaced, I'd say.

:deal
  12. mountainguy

mountainguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The seat covering is vinyl plastic. The plasticizer in the vinyl is migrating to the surface and making it sticky. The vinyl fabric was manufactured incorrectly using way too much plasticizer. There is no way to fix it other than to replace the seat covering with a new or different type of covering. You can remove the plasticizer with a solvent, but it will keep migrating to the surface. The vinyl will eventually dry out and the problem will go away, but that could take a long time, possible a few years.

http://www.flex-europa.com/products_plasticizer.htm

A high ratio of plasitcizer in the seat covering makes it softer and slightly tacky. I think BMW is shooting for slightly tacky to reduce people from sliding around on the seat, especially during demo. rides. If the manufacturer gets the ratio a little too high, your problem results. A high ratio of plasicizer also makes the vinyl soft and less resistant to scratches and scuffs.
  13. ianwalberg

Oddometer:
    Dealer has ordered a new one, lets hope this one is better.
  14. ianwalberg

Oddometer:
    Seat swapped for a new one yesterday and many thanks to Irv Seaver for excellent service.
  15. comac90

comac90 Where's Charlie?

Oddometer:
    I have a 2015 GSA that has this problem. I had the seat replaced under warranty around 9k miles. I'm now at 16k miles and the same thing is happening again. The more the seat wears, the more sticky it gets. It's most sticky by the tank. The dealer said it's unlikely BMW will replace it again and that no one else is having this issue. It seems odd to me both seats would do the same thing - particularly since 'no one else is having issues'. As such, I'm not sold on the plasticizer theory.

Is this happening to anyone else? I've had a bunch of motorcycles over the years, all but one were BMWs and all but one of them was a GS ... never once have I had this issue. If I'm the cause, I haven't a clue what I'm doing to cause it.

FWIW, I commute daily year-round in Western NC and get in a the dirt 1-2 times a month.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    T
  16. kendives

kendives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem at about 18,000 mi and BMW replaced the seat. It's been a year and it is starting again. Back to the dealer before the warranty runs out.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    What do you use to treat your seat and the tank paint?

Lots of reasons it will do it, but usually it is a chemical reaction of some sort.
  18. kendives

kendives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI - I have never treated my seat with anything. I rinse, but haven't washed, the seat.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Do you wax your bike? Do you ever splash gas on it?

Not trying to deny BMW may have an issue, just checking. I have only seen a couple of similar complaints, so it doesn't appear to be a universal issue.
  20. comac90

comac90 Where's Charlie?

Oddometer:
    Certainly, I appreciate the ideas because I am at a loss.

FWIW, I bought it new. I've never waxed it, have never splashed fuel on it and don't treat the paint, etc. I do wash the bike on occasion with Dawn dishwashing liquid for the suds. This particular seat has had that done twice. The odd thing is it seems to get worse the more the seat wears. There are virtually no 'bumps' left on the vinyl where it's the stickiest. I'm almost always either wearing Klim Adventure pants or BMW City pants when I'm on it so I don't think it's a pant issue.

On the first seat, I tried to clean it with Goo Gone, various soaps and water, and even tried some fine-grit sandpaper to see if I could sand it off. No effect.

Any other ideas?
    T