Louisiana ride planning ??

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by xcited, Nov 8, 2011.

1. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    I keep seeing most peoples ride reports or doing something cool but not in my area. I have a family and a job so I don't get to go out on big week long rides and it sucks ass!!
    So to ease my adventure itch I wanted to plan a small weekend trip in South Louisiana. Maybe around the 1st of the year.

Is anyone intrested in sitting down and throwing some ideas around???
  2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    and maybe plan a LA ride Report thread? :super so the rest of us can see too?
  3. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    xcited. Let me see if I can find my Roads of Louisiana ...and then remember where we rode at last year's Swampscooter's.:huh lol It'll be a start anyway.
  4. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    I am going to the scooter swamp rally this year and will.....:freaky........try to remeber what trail we took. All I know so far is its starts in Carencro and goes to Mamu, spose to be alot of levy / off road.

But if anyone has any trails they know of post them here or PM me....Maybe we can plan a meet some place to figure this thing out...

Thanks all
  5. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    xcited,

First let us know what kind of "trail" you are looking for. Gravel? Fire roads? Quad trail? Single track? What bike are you riding? There are a lot more opportunities in LA than most people realize.
  6. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I like them all. I want what every you have send it my way!! I think the thing to do is to get people together for a ride and determine the type and diffaculty of the trail for the riders and their bikes.
  7. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    +1 on what Navajo said. Based out of the Baton Rouge area we've got a fairly active group of about 15 of us that get together for some awesome group rides just north of Baton Rouge.

From killer twisty tar to killer gravel, to plain old two-track dirt roads snaking through tree tunnels with not much overhead clearance through the woods-they're out there, just gotta know where they are.

Louisiana is a fairly large state, can you narrow it down a bit where you're from?

Dirty
  8. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    I live in Lafayette, it wouldn't be a strech to meet up with you guys for a weekend ride. But I was trying to find more places around here, New Ibera, Henderson, Scott, etc...Something that wouldn't take the whole day to ride to North for an hour and than ride.
  9. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Will let you know the next time we get together for a ride in the St. Francisville area. You'll like it.

You doing the Swamp Scooters suare this weekend? I went last year for Friday night and did the group dual sport ride the following morning.:huh

Gravel roads around farm fields.

A fun ride I've done is a circumnavigation of the Atchafalaya Basin. It's an awesome day ride, 3/4's gravel, and way more than 100 miles. It's a start and it's just to the east of Lafayette.

I just read through the thread and saw Slowoldguy selected the very same WTF emoticon in describing the dual sport ride that I selected....totally by fluke.

Navajo knows the area around Alexandria.

I can't get out on Saturday, but want to go ride on Sunday. If you haven't left yet drop me a line with your number and we can get together for a Sunday ride if you like-meeting up in New Roads at the McDonalds. Skip across the river and that's where the good stuff is found.

We'll show you some fun roads.

Dirty
  10. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can show you some good logging roads and quad trails around Alexandria in the Kisatchie NF. Might be December before I get time but let me know if you are interested.
  11. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    I am going to the swamp scooter ride this weekend, I heard that it's only 70miles round trip to McGee's landing. They said alot of people got hurt in years past so the made it more tame. plus alot of guys ride down from out of state / country to come to it and wouldn't sign up for a hard core dual sport ride because if they trash there bikes they couldn't get home.

I would love to hang out on Sunday.....PM SENT

I am also intrested in the other ride you mentioned, could you hook me up with a link or more info?

Riding in Dec? I am ready, Post your plan here and we will work out the details when the time gets closer.....
  12. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Hurt? We were on gravel roads we shared with El Caminos and Mini-vans carrying snot nosed kids.

Guess the ride will have more pavement this year.

somebody fell over?

Dirty
  13. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    The only thing about riding on Sunday that hurt was the trip home. My ass pain and hand/wrist pain was battling it out. (Sounds bad out of context) :D. I should look into a seat pad and a better cruise control.

Thanks again Dirty guided tour, I really had fun. Maybe we could get some more people together next time and do a long trip.

I am going to post some pictures of the rally on the Swamp Scooter Rally thread and a blog about the ride and the games.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for the ride, I can't wait to go out with some more people and get more experiance. So lets keep up with the planning and seeing some more of Louisiana!!
  14. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    I had a great time, great company!

You saw a brief teaser of the sort of roads we have to choose from-gotta get back over so we can show you some more.

Dirty
  15. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    Please do, I just need to get a better front tire so I can keep up. :lol3
  16. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    I have started planning a new ride. :deal I will be gathering some people and heading out from Lafayette and planning on riding around the Tunica area.

Stay tuned for more information as the details get polished. The ride will be around mid January. :bmwrider
  17. KTMandu

KTMandu Adventurer Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Xcited
    Just found your posting. I live in Lafayette as well. I rode in the Tunica area a couple of years ago with some Tx guys. We left out of St. Francisville and went north into MS, slept in Natchez and were supposed to go all the way to Vicksburg. It didn't quite work out as planned. Its a great area to ride and would love to be involved.
  18. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    No problem, send me your e-mail address and I will add you to the map list!!
  19. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now SouthMS
    :lurk Suscribed, will be watching for posts for rides - would like to join in the fun. My usual rides go straight north from BR into Homochitto NF roads and around St. Francisville area. But I have been wanting to explore the Achafalaya basin area too. So any chance I get I will be over that way.

From last ride in Homochitto:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch in St. Francisville, saw a couple KLR's pass by us but we couldnt get helmets on etc. and they got away.
    Dont see a whole lot of other inmates around - a ton of Harleys on sunny days but slim pickins on other adventure types.

[​IMG]
  20. xcited

xcited XRL

Oddometer:
    That sounds great. Might need to check out some of your spots, they look like fun. It would be cool to do 1 ride a month.