design/build opensource products for KTM, starting with sidestand foot expander

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by keener, Nov 2, 2012.

1. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    I had a home made side stand foot that basically makes the foot print a bit larger so it won't sink in sad, grass,....you know what I mean. It fell off somewhere....Im sick of forgetting the ones I carry with myself, so...

I have a CNC machine. I'm going to make one for myself. Not for $56 like this one, better with rubbery bottom plate may be?
    [​IMG]
    image source: http://www.motosupply.com/specialty....html?osCsid=437f19c7013d63589e77ac605e92f68f

I though I share it here to see if you advriders have any input. I will keep the designs open-source, I will post the drawings here for everyone to use.

I know this project is very simple thing but it could potentially become a good starting point for more open-source community driven products for 950/990,... so all manufactures can produce them cheaper for us while we can make them better.

I'll be happy to make a few more while Im making one for myself and send it over to whom ever helps out with the design.

let me know what you look for in a side stand expander. do you want to be able to take it on and off,...?

Im curious to see how this evolves.:1drink
  2. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    I just welded a bigger steel foot onto mine.....
  3. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    For simplicity I've been considering welding a large freeze-plug from an auto engine to the side stand.

Talk about cheap!

[​IMG]
  4. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Same on mine. Cheapest solution there is, works well and it won't ever fall off.
  5. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    Welded a big ass washer to it. Took 5 minutes, cost was trivial.

However, I do have a template for making an air filter baseplate for mounting a JC30 airfilter like the CPR one uses. You're welcome to it. Makes the filter mod more of an approx. $150 deal versus $300.
  6. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    Welding a washer sounds simple and cheap... We have a solution here.

Washer I think has to be thick so you can weld it. Painting it later is a good idea to prevent rust.

I have shortened my sidestand, I went through cutting welding,...I should have used a big ass washer then.

Now I like to have an aluminum piece as foot expander.

The air filter base should be easy to make. Send me your template.