Trax luggage

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by martinh, Jan 28, 2011.

1. martinh

martinh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking at the SW_Moto Trax luggage and looks good on the bike pictures I have seen. I am also thinking about the Jesse bags but think they might be too big for what I am looking for.

For those inmates that have Trax cases what have you found with them good and bad. Leaks, sturdiness, fall overs how do they handle them, locks.
  2. 3bangin

3bangin 2014 tiger 800, 2018 tiger 800 xca

Oddometer:
    I know a couple people with them in tiger 1050's. They seem to be pleased. I am looking to do the same on my new Tiger but am going to sell my factory bags first.
    Bob
  3. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lock cylinders themselves are fine, but with a good screwdriver you could twist the latch ring off.
  4. bipbap

bipbap Well.........

Oddometer:
    I have a powerdercoated set on my Tiger. I like them. Easy on and off, including the racks. Good amount of room. I unfortunately, had an 'opportunity' to test one sidecase in a tipover. The case is scratched, but held its shape. The rack bent a little, but still works fine, I never bothered to fix it.

I do get a little water in the other side case once in a while, but I can't figure out where its coming from. They are not the most robust and heavy duty cases out there, but they aren't the most expensive either.
  5. NomadS

NomadS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine have not leaked in the rain. Never laid it down so can't comment on durability in that situation. One thing I have noticed is that even when they are locked you could disconnect the quick lock frame from the bike and take the frame and box. If traveling i remove them from the bike at night.
  6. fire carl

fire carl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    several years ago prior to the bmw rally in wyoming my bike was chosen by a company to model the trax bags during the rally, when i applied i did not have bags so i was looking at the trax and jesse bags, and during my conversation with the rep he offered me the oppertunity to purchase the bags after the rally was done at a substantial savings, but then he mentioned that these were prototype bags and possible leaked, he explained that they were trying to find the right type of glue to use to seal the side panels to the base and that most glues would crack with use.
    after talking with him and prior to being fully accepted i purchased some jesse bags so the offer was taken back, i checked them out at the rally and liked the looks and cost but the idea of having the bags leak around the sides didnt appeal to me, i hope they solved the problem,
  7. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    I have the 37L Trax bags on my Wee-strom. I like everything about them, except the locks - which are complete crap. If the locks were better, the Trax cases would be perfect (IMHO).
  8. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    Here is another Trax thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623547

I've had my Trax on my Versys for the past 18 months/25,000 miles of daily use.

[​IMG]

Mine are a original build and leak, I got a set of waterproof liners from TT that keep my stuff dry. The current generation have the corners sealed during manufacture and a different lid gasket.

My top case developed a rattle where the case mount slots over the rack adapter - I put an o-ring on the rack pin and that has taken care of the rattle.

My SW Motech racks have the lock option so the rack is locked to the bike. Sometimes I run a small bicycle lock cable through both the mounts on the cases (the metal mount is bent out from the case to fit the pins on the rack) and lock them to the bike frame for extra security.....but with the SW Motech racks they are very easy to remove when needed during overnights if that is what you prefer.

They have so far survived 2 tip overs with no damage:

[​IMG]

I frequently stuff them to the max and they haven't let me down (except for the water leakage).
  9. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the Trax bags on my Stelvio for a couple of years now. I am happy with them and would do it again. They are sturdy enough for me.

The locks could be pried apart easily if you are worried about security. Not an issue for me.

One bag does leak when the bike is parked in the rain, but not when ridden in the rain. I submerged the bag in a tub of water and it does no leak a drop in the seams or rivets. The leak is around the gasket on the lid. It pools around the gasket when parked. I haven't spent time on it, but I believe the rubber seal is a bit deformed is all.
  10. storman113

storman113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been using the Trax 45l's for about a year. No problem with leakage, but I siliconed all the seams just in case. Dropped on em a couple times with just scuff marks. They came with the waterproof liners. I also picked up one of the padded canvas bags. I put the liner inside of it and use it to carry frozen food back from the store. Grocery sacks in the other side. Ditto on all comments about the locks.

Only time I take them off is on a day ride or into the motel room.

[​IMG]

BTW, top case is used to store helmet and jacket.
  11. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if you could buy those funky lash loop things separately?
  12. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    The tie-downs [a.k.a. "Tie-Down points for TraX ALU-BOX Topcase"]? Yes, I put some on my top case.
  13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Where did you get them?

EDIT, found em at twisted throttle. Could you tell me what the length is of the angled part of the trax side case? I wonder if these would fit well on my Jesse topcase.
  14. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The gird is 5 squares per inch.
  15. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    So far so good with the Trax luggage/pannier system. Some off road, some fully loaded - no problems (knock on wood). They've been in the rain and I blasted them at the carwash for leak cheaks - all good. The SW-Motech racks are pretty easy to install and the quick lock system works like a charm (a bit of wiggling on the right side to get a fit). Haven't dropped the bike (yet). Pretty good value for around $1500 CDN for the racks and cases.

Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Wreckster

Wreckster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Purchased them a few years ago with the racks. Couldn't be easier to remove for storage (or for the random hoon) they both leak to some extent. Nothing major, though enough that I plan on hitting seams with sealer. Both sides have been down. Once on a trail ride in the Adirondacks, hit a turn a little too hot, got to the edge of the trail and laid it down (more out of shock, front tire lost it) and the other side recently when the front wheel turned while working on the bike in gravel, over she went. no dents in the boxes at all, just scuffs from normal use. Will definitely keep them for future use with other bikes.