How to make your own Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Bash plate....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are many great bash guards available to buy.......But I like the idea of a light weight....500-750 grams....carbon fiber/kevlar bash plate, that will out perform anything made of aluminum. The project will have two phases. Design and Build. During the design phase, I will be using polystyrene foam plates to construct a base mold. The build phase.....I will layup the fabrics along with the honeycomb material. In case you`ve missed it.....here is a thread on a easier project I just finished.......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603891

A few things to note.... You will be designing your own plate here..... So plan accordingly..... ie....Coffee...espresso...sammiches...beer....water.... Whatever you desire.....have patience, and take your time, so not to get frustrated. First I went to the local hobby lobby and got two 1/2 inch and one 1 inch foam panels.......
    [​IMG]

Then I measured the rough length that I wanted.......
    [​IMG]

Then it is literally a matter of methodically adding one piece at a time.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Constantly putting it on the bike....verifying that all is well.......
    [​IMG]

Then.....after 5 hrs of cut.....sand.....cut some more...... Glue....( 3m contact glue).....cut some more.......Drink espresso..... Then it finally looks like this........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That took a while...... But I thought I`d ask for your input..... Something missing.....to add.....etc.... Before I start the second phase........

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  2. TastyPants

TastyPants Harasshole

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Nice I was looking forward to this.

What about strategically placed holes for oil changes etc? Maybe thats in the next phase...
  3. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm that looks like a foam bash plate.:scratch

Good work mate, looking forward to the results.
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That`s the beauty of the doityourself.....You can get exactly what you want.....After the foam is verified..... I will then get to work on the mounts.....cooling holes....oil drain....etc....

Erling
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It`s ballistic foam......:rofl:rofl...... Yeppers..... The tough part is over...... If approved......The foam will be covered in the next few days.....But I`m sure there will be more trimming needed.....

Erling
  6. TastyPants

TastyPants Harasshole

Oddometer:
    Hey ebrabaek, can you post a list of supplies like you did in the other thread (or just say same stuff)? I am going to place some orders this weekend. Picking up my Foam too so I can start playing :D
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will..... But I`m nut sure which epoxy to use yet. So actually so far..... The only two known things are the foam board.......as in first picture...... and the 3m contact cement spray. I am going to do some testing today in regards to the choice of epoxy. I am/was planning on using a high temp epoxy.....But it needs post cure at a min. of 250 deg. F......and due to it`s size.....only way that will work is with a heat lamp....... But then I don`t think that the foam will hold up....... So I will make a test sample.....cook it....and see what happens......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I made a test batch on a foam plate......just to see how the foam holds up to the heat in post cure........ First waxed with the wax in the right top corner.... Then release film in top left.......
    [​IMG]

Then two layers of CF.....with the High teemp. epoxy....step one.....cure for 2 hrs at 80 deg..... Then heat lamp at say 200...... we shall see.....
    [​IMG]

Erling
  9. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I try to stick with 2 main epoxy applications for simplicity. This one.....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-96-OZ-KIT-/310131342540?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483544bccc

And this one.................
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-HIGH-TEMPERATURE-FIBERGLASSING-80-OZKIT-/310180741247?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483836807f

First one is one of the clearest transparent epoxy I have ever used. That is what was used in the CF cover in my other thread. It is extremely strong......and I have used it in applications up to 250 deg. F. with great results. It was my first choice, since it is extremely simple.... Mix...pour...your done. But as I started working on the foam mold..... I got concerned about the heat generated in the proximity to the header, and catalytic converter. Perhaps it is dumbfounded..... But I decided to use the high epoxy instead. It can handle temps of up til 400 deg.F. The trouble is that it need post curing heat treatment. I found that I can " cheat" the post cure schedule.... by leaving it in the sun in the hot desert..... for 4 hrs......That will yield around 200 deg.F. I also have found in earlier testing that once cured.....The max hte ( high temp) pox is stiffer and stronger than the max. clr. So results of the heat foam test........
    After 1 hr in the sun...... 180 deg.F.............. No stress on the foam....
    [​IMG]

Then....under the heat lamp.......and at 290 deg. F. the foam began giving......
    [​IMG]

That is good news....... So I plan on 4 hrs in the sun.......then to elevate that up to 250 with the heat lamp for a few hrs.

Then it was on to the cast.......Smoothing out the corners......Since Composites don`t like sharp curves. There where a few gaps in between the foam, and the four holes I drilled for the lower mounts...... I filled them with this great stuff. Ever played with play dough..... Modelervoks.... For you fellow scandinavians...:D... This is an epoxy blend that after you mold it.....like clay hardens, and is tremendously strong.......
    [​IMG]

Then you gather the Honeycomb material........
    [​IMG]

Cut 3 strings......and put them in the desired position.......
    [​IMG]

Mark`em.......
    [​IMG]

Cut a v notch channel, and fill the very botom with the emc.........
    [​IMG]

Mold is now ready for it`s first and only cast........ After 4 layers of parafilm.....
    [​IMG]

There are a few things to note here........ It is properly not a necessity to use the honey comb construction. The impact protection necessary does not come from the honeycomb layup. That does just make this piece tremendously stiff, and I though I`d show it....and as of how to. But if it intimidates you.......Just skip that step. I created the cast with 1/2 inch clearance to the cat, and 3/4 to the header. I believe that if you bring that out to 1 1/4 inch.... you will be ok to use the max clr ( low temp epoxy)..... But only way to know.... Is to cast one.....
    Ahhhhhh.... the labor of love......To spend two days .....although not continuously..... to create something that will be destroyed.......is sort of a funny thing. Even with the release agent...( parafilm).... I`m sure that when yanking the piece of the cast.... the foam will disintegrate.......
    I always wait overnight with bigger projects...... Just to let it sit......perhaps I forgot something..... Something can be done better.....etc...
    So until tomorrow.......:ear:ear

Erling
  12. capt_enduro

capt_enduro tool whore

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap. Amazing. I've built a sea kayak with glass; and this looks very similar. I've always wondered how hard it'd be to work with carbon fiber, where to get the supplies, etc.

Thanks for showing us how to do this!

This has me thinking again about those top-loading panniers that hook up to existing vario lugs again.

:D
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers......This is basically the same.... The CF conforms a little different than the glass.....But basically the same. If you`ve done a kayak..... this...or the cases....will be a breeze. I am contemplating myself....to make a couple of cases myself.......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  14. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
  15. AHS

AHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's posts like this when I'm reminded how lazy I am and accepting of things wrapped in plastic...
    "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me!"

Interesting stuff, standing by :lurk
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhhhhh....... the Sunday morning espresso...... One more shot....and it`s casting time.......Today's forecast.... Sunny with a chance of skid plates.....

Erling
  17. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. HayBailEY

HayBailEY Groovy

Oddometer:
    Great post! I do have a stupid question tho. Do you put the resin on top of the styrofoam, then fiber and more resin (like a sammich) or is there another combination you use?

thanks!
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    No you got it correct, and the question is not silly.....:D...You put the resin down first.....then lay one layer of fabric on top..... Use a brush....or with larger pieces....a foam roller. Repeat procedure with each layer.....

Erling
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finished........ Pic`s coming shortly......
    Erling