Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #16
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Thanks Man!

It's important to consider that the logistics of buying a used bike in Mexico can also be a PITA too. With the limited market you may have to travel halfway across the country to look at a single bike on Mercadolibre. In northern Mexico we are a lot closer to the US MC market than the motorcycles in the population centers of Central Mexico.
Well, there are those considerations

More important is the fact that I'm a cheap date

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #17
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 235
The WR250F is one of my favorite bikes down here that work pretty well for everything once you decork them.There's plenty of good ones around $5K. Of course the newer WR450F like SR imported is fuel injected but those are a little harder to find. My wife's WR250X (not sold here) is perfect around town but it gets looks more than any of our other bikes for some reason. Kinda makes me nervous.
I've been trying to decide on the perfect bike myself but of course there's no such thing. I love 2-strokes and prefer my KTM200 for racing tight stuff. With the elevation changes here, the little 200 isn't so great at going from sea-level to over 5,000 ft in an hour ride on singletrack. That's where the FI bikes shine especially the bigger bores, 350cc plus.
I've been playing with jetting on a new KTM300XC-W lately but since it's not FI there's no prefect setting. Need a FI 2-stroke!
I'll probably end up with a Fuel Injected 450cc bike like SR imported but really enjoy the capabilities of the 300XC-W when riding extreme enduro trails. The big 4-strokes are pretty heavy to lift overhead when you're riding solo so you end up looking for help or turning back. I'm not very big and am getting old fast!
For blacktop roads a 650cc moto is the minimum if you want to get anywhere fast in Mexico or the US. My DL650 V-Strom was way too big for town and way too small for cuotas and fast libres.
My buddy has an XR650R that's pretty versatile and bullet-proof but it's really a desert bike at heart.
Basically no such thing as a "best dualsport" they're all a compromise.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #18
Mainecoons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I live in Mexico, Lake Chapala area, and ride most weekends. There are ample opportunities for both playing in the dirt, day riding with a ton of twisties on pavement of variable quality, and touring. The climate in central Mexico is benign practically all the time though it can get pretty wet from June through September.

We have a fairly good sized local contingent of riders including several who have done well over 100K miles here. One of them rides an R1200GS, one rides either his Ducati sport bike, his Vstrom1000 or a KLR650. Most of the rest of us ride BMW--F650GS, F700GS, R850R (me), some cruisers and some R1200GS. And a KTM.

It really all depends on what you like riding and what kind of riding you will do. I stick to pavement as do most of the GS guys but several get together for dirt rides. At this time of year those are mostly mud rides so they aren't doing much.

I really like the short wheelbase and lower gearing and lower seating of the R850R though it can be just a bit power challenged in the higher altitudes and a bit suspension challenged by the rough roads and topes. I'm addressing all of those issues with an AF-XIED, cat converter removal and Ohlins shocks set up for rougher roads.

If you are planning to move to the Lake Chapala area I'd be happy to correspond with you and fill you in on cost/availability of housing and that sort of thing. Lake Chapala has one of the most perfect climates in the world yet we are only a half hour away from a major airport and a little further to Guadalajara itself. There are a ton of riders in Guadalajara and hence we have a number of excellent shops that can work on your bike at reasonable cost. I do tend to order my routine parts on line and pick them up when I'm in the states. They are much cheaper there.

Bikes and cars are expensive here, but so is importing. With a Permanente Visa you cannot use a TIP (temporary import permit). The cost of importing a bike can easily run $2,000 to $3,000. The best importing deal seems to be a guy named "Oscar" in Nogales, AZ. Let me know if you want his email.

Mainecoons screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 12:50 PM
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote