2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where is the photo from? Looks a lot like So. Utah. Maybe the Navajo sandstones near Zion?
  2. CTDan

CTDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have put 420 miles on my bike since I picked it up on Friday afternoon... Should have been more but I have kids and a lovely wife (no I won't post pics) that keep me pretty busy.

I like it.

It's not nearly as comfortable as my GSA, but it's less than 1/2 the cost and a different beast. It feels like its light enough and nimble enough to handle the off road stuff better than the beast, but the highway across Kansas to Colorado is going to be a challenge. That trailer is looking more and more appealing for anything over 300 miles from home.

The stock seat is going to have to go if I decide to take this bike on anyc long trips, and I'm sure there are some pivot pegs in my future as well.

I followed the break in procedure spelled out in the manual for the first 200 miles and now I'm just riding it to enjoy it. I'm not running it hard, but I'm sure that I have snuck past the 5000 RPM limit a few times. I'll run it hard a few times prior to the first service to be sure the break in is complete.

There is an annoying buzz that starts around 70MPH (4500 RPM's) and doesn't seem to go away until you drop some speed and RPM's. I hope it breaks in a little more and continues to get smoother.

I'm not sure this bike will replace the 1200GSA I'm used to, but I am sure that I will have a lot of fun on this bike.
  3. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up My Sertao Saturday
    Rode it 200 miles home and have to say ive no problems with my balls although I think the seat hump is horrible, the bike on the whole seems to be really good, motorway at 80 didn't seem to stress it at all, handling seems really good, I wouldn't suggest its anywhere near the 1200GS Rallye ive also got and will be keeping but its not a bad little bike
    Ill fit a TKC80 rear and MT21 front tyre to go playing in the mud
    ordered a set of Renthals as well,
    cant wait for it all to arrive then its play time :evil
  4. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:

The seat breaks in a little bit after a while. Gets a tad more comfortable and then at that point, it starts to suck :p. I can't wait for a new seat!

Pivot pegs! GET THEM! My only real mod. Only complaints about them is there isn't much room in between the gear lever and the peg. I have a decent sized boot (US 12) & it's kind of a PITA. When I'm wearing normal boots, shoes, its not an issue.

Vibrations and engine smoothness.. It took about 1500 miles for me, but the bike really smoothed out around that point. But, even today approaching 10k miles, I still have a vibration at 70mph.. not 69 or 71, but just 70.
  5. Kim_uk

Kim_uk Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm in London.

Just read you latest blog entry about your crash. I will be in that part of the world in 2015, with hind site would have made the same decision to get the surgery locally or get on a plane and have it done in the UK / US?

Hope you are riding soon.
  6. Hunter-Douglas

Hunter-Douglas rube

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That is a down right beautiful build, Rocky. I'm lusting mightily over the fork swap after riding more of the dirt around Tahoe. Doesn't take too many miles on the gravel to realize that something, ANYTHING has to be done to beef up the absorption on this bike (off the asphalt).

Only problem is, every dollar spent is one less in the travel acct when I leave next year. Seems USD forks are worth more than a set of progressive front/ back springs? :dunno
    Singulano likes this.
  7. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    That's sick! ^

I just like ABS on the hardball.
  8. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:

lol. alskee,

i take pictures of that stuff too.
    behold.... The Dream Maker

[​IMG]

now where is that video you were talking about ? ?
  9. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    super nice bmw!
  10. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    Finally caved and ordered some Wolfman racks, and "The Hoops" bags. I figure with them plus my tank bag ill be just peachy for long distance. I'm big on the minimalist style.
  11. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    i know im not riding the sertao in this vid but... hey, its got the same motor.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ekLyDleKFGk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. veefer8

veefer8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just finished watching American psycho and then this? What a line up. I hope I can sleep.
    Great vid though.
  13. VitSports6

VitSports6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video!
    The leaves are beginning to change around here, looks like it might be time for a run up the canyons.
  14. alskee750

alskee750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Veefer, I had a blast just exploring the mountains. I picked up 3 great gps tracks from the adv gps forum. I have a small cabin up here so I wasn't so far away from home. I just love it up here so much to see and do. I rode for about 7hrs. Finished 2 tracks and will explore the 3rd on a later date. I need to get better to just stop and take more pic's, but I was having a blast just tooling around.

I took both of these pic's w/ Swampy in mind.

Swamp, I knew you'll appreaciate. Great freaking vid! So about my vid. I got home and transferred my vid to my laptop, then noticed I recorded everything in slowmo! Now I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the process. I'm going to borrow my son's iMac and see if I can speed it up and make some edits then post.

I have a new love for riding alone! Its freaking great! Stop when u want, eat, shit, cig or whateva.

I did have a close call on the way back to my casita. Since it was starting to get dark, Deer were everywhere. One scared the living bejesus out of me. But skills and wit came through. Still more to explore, soon to come.
  15. JackpotDuc

JackpotDuc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another Sertao in NYC?
    Sweet!
    I haven't seen many of us around.

I live in TriBeCa and work in LIC.

Where are you?
  16. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a photo from the WABDR 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to get a video together, and possibly a ride report. Regretting not keeping a journal now. Definitely on the list of must-dos for the next ride.

[​IMG]
  17. alskee750

alskee750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kool, I'm in Washington heights/Catskills but work in mid town. There are 2 good rides coming up that I'll be camp/riding if your interested. One is on http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/festivals/summer-festivals-bmw.aspxcolor of the catskills, great time and you get to ride up hunter mountains and drink beer.

Another one is in Nov up in the Pine Barrens, read about here.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856196

It's alot of fun..
  18. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:

:nod lol remember when you weren't married ? thats what it was like !
  19. EMFC

EMFC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is the hell do you install the SW-Motech Centerstand?

1) I don't know German
    2) I don't have super human strength for these two springs
    2) Thanks Twisted Throttle for selling me the installation tool that also has directions in German
  20. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:

hey EMF,

here is how i pull springs.
    1. wear a glove
    2. get some electrical wire. red , black, white , yellow the color doesnt matter... just like pussy

3. wrap the wire around your gloved hand. make a loop in the middle of it.
    4. hook the spring on the loop of wire .
    5. pull the spring back onto its home
    6. say "shit, why didnt i think of that"

Dio says "you hold the keys magic.. but unfortunately that shit cant make you understand german"
    [​IMG]