Only Eight Lives Left

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by F16Viper68, Oct 12, 2013.

1. F16Viper68

F16Viper68 Trapped in the Sandbox! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This does have some merit since I find the large dual sports just suck around here due to the soft sugary sand. I know it can be done and I've seen it done but there's just no way I'm taking a 2012 Super Tenere ripping through the forrest on deep sandy roads :lol3

Then again, there's some thread on here about a guy who broke every bone in his foot (looked like the Hulk got a hold of him) doing a small wheelie on a little dirt bike.

Dave...
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never had a near death experience on a motorcycle.
    I had a bad dirt crash that the doctors said I was lucky I lived though, but I did not feel that way. Lots of pain, but nothing to die over...

Over 40 years of riding and I still do not wear much gear at all, often only a 3/4 helmet.

But if I ever had such a close call as this, I might be thinking about it for a while...
  3. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm at a plateau myself and I think I'll be going here next.:deal Then I'll take a trials class up at the trials center outside of Chatanooga. For my track class I took California superbike school aboard the BMW s1000rr at Barber.....Ketih Code is a babe!:deal My street bike has yet to be on a track....also took Lee Parks Total Control 1&2. I didn't enjoy that class due to the ego of the instructor. One of the basis of the cirriculum is that the instructor will demo on any bike to show the technique is the same. That didn't happen, he just rode his gsxr like a bad ass.:lol3 The class is great, just be sure to read some reviews of the specific class location. Well worth the money, and you can buy the book and just go to a parking lot and practice. Also have taken BMW off road classes at the training center in Greer SC. I've yet to take an onroad class while an instructor talks in your ear, like stayin' safe and the late great larry grodsky. I began rally racing last year and learned a lot from doing that. I pushed the limits, a bit too much as I crashed in all three events. But I only ended up in the hospital once.:1drink

As an MSF coach, the erc is seriously lacking. It is a great class for the crusier groups that have never heard that you can "swerve" a motorcycle.:deal Sorry, the class is just really a social event that gets riders together to talk about skills and being good riders, I don't find it to be very challenging to folks who have been riding for years. It is supposed to get them focused on more education, there is falls flat because I have yet to teach the BBB or the UBB. If you want to work on low speed manuevers, similiar to moto cop stuff, take the UBB. That class will build your confidence, but won't give you any on road prowess. I feel like traction management and pushing your limits will be benificial to someone like you. And the MSF doesn't have much in that realm except the ARC.

Buy Total control and bring a hoodie....and practice practice practice. Braking swerving and cornering.....
  4. jimhaleyscomet

jimhaleyscomet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you want to take your riding strategy, training, and skills up a notch consider reading (or rereading) and implementing the ideas in Ride Hard Ride Smart by Hahn.

He really gives a comprehensive approach to minimizing risk on the road.
  5. F16Viper68

Oddometer:
    Did you take the two day course at Barber? That looks very appealing.

Bring a hoodie? :dunno
  6. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    yep....the hoodie comment will make sense when you read "Total Control":deal

Okay, okay.......Lee Parks used a hoodie as a cornering marker early in his riding days and mentions this option for the reader.
  7. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just as a counter-point and not to start an argument, but it looks like you're from CA and I'm wondering if you've had the pleasure of experiencing Boston, traffic? Lane splitting won't work here - traffic flow and road etiquette are different. It's not about getting to one place efficiently as a group (not that CA is perfect), it's about getting there first, at all cost, no life spared. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p> Another similar observation:</o:p>
    I remember reading an article in Cycle World years ago, recommending that as you approach an intersection, that you should flash your lights to signal to the other vehicles that you are intending to go through. The idea was that this would catch the attention of other drivers since motorcycles are so easily not seen. I remember nearly jumping out of my seat when I read that. Because, no doubt about it, that will get you killed in New England. As soon as you start flashing the other drivers take that as a sign that you are letting them have the right of way. <o:p></o:p>
    BTW, I really do wish it could happen and that we could somehow make it legal and safe, but I just don’t see it happening around here - different places = different cultures.<o:p></o:p>
  8. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cycle world is full of shit, this signal is almost unversal world wide as giving them the right of way.
  9. PharaohScoots

PharaohScoots Twist-N-GO

Oddometer:
    Well done F16, happy all involved survived.

One advantage my scooter has is it is always in gear, plus being 400 cc it can launch pretty quick without stalling, or entering a flat spin.

I always position myself pointing to the open air between the cars.
  10. Escaped

Escaped Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure there are risks associated with lane sharing and maybe more in Boston then San Francisco ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the risks are better than taking it in the rear

[​IMG]

11. Horizontal

Horizontal Goatin' Around

Oddometer:
    Great story, F16 ~

Glad how it turned out. Good advice to listen to your inner voice as well as to not pull up too closely to the car in front of you at a stop light in order to give yourself an escape route.

You need training, judgment and demonstrated skill to receive a motorcycle license endorsement. To have kids, not so much... :wink:
  12. F16Viper68

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have utterly no idea how someone doesn't even take the basic precautions when it comes to protecting their children. As long as I live I'll never forget opening the rear door and seeing that screaming baby sitting in the seat unbuckled.

Dave...