new use for the KTM handle extension

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by 1stiski, Aug 26, 2008.

1. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    After some thoughts on this, I knew that the tool kit that came with my 04 950 has just about everything you need to tear into this machine. Today while changing out my tires, I discoved a new use for that handle extension that sits in the seat area of my bike (not sure if the 990's have this)

In this picture, notice that the width of the tool is exactly the same as the front axle.

[​IMG]

closer shot
    [​IMG]

after you loosen the nut and unscrew it a few turns, I usually kick the bolt to knock the axle loose, but usually its still in abit, so now I use the tool and put that in , it gives you the leverage to push out the axle all the way, very cool

[​IMG]

up close, its a perfect fit and doesn't damage the axle either, the threads are inside and protected

[​IMG]

I don't know if this was an intention of the KTM engineers, but OH well, it sure works well and best of all, I didn't spend any extra $$..
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    yep designed that way....use it on the trail...:clap
  3. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    It's almost as if they planned it this way...:D
  4. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    And yet there are still alot of aftermarket axle removal tools sold specifically to KTM 950/990 owners.
  5. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I buggered my threads using that. I don't anymore. I use the book method now.
  6. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    "the book method"? Do tell. :ear
  7. SeanW

SeanW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I damaged the threads on my axle using this method as well.
  8. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    but why isn't there a 27mm spanner in the tool kit to undo the 'pinch bolt' on the front spindle ?

or is mine missing from my kit :huh
  9. 1stiski

Oddometer:
    What year?? Mine has the correct spanner, BTW, How do you adjust your rear axle while out traveling? Its my understanding that some of the newer bikes dont have a tool kit, is this true?? I know the 990 has that great underseat location filled with electronic stuff. Just another reason to keep the 950 !! Ive got my tire irons, patch kit, bottle of magura blood, spare bolts, a front tube, zip ties and the tool kit in that location
  10. 1stiski

Oddometer:
    All I have to do is gently push on my axle to push it out, I've always greased my axle durring service and never have to pound it to remove it. The only way I can see someone damaging their threads is by using too much force like hammering on the tool. (just my two cents).
  11. 1stiski

Oddometer:
    Roll up a thin book (about the size of your KTM parts book) and place into the hole and pound out the axle. All that paper is quite strong when rolled up, it works. But I've been looking for a tool so I can fix my flat in the middle of the woods without trying to hunt a book down or play with sticks.:lol3
  12. boboneleg

Oddometer:
    mine is an '05 950. I have the spanners for the rear wheel with the extension but not the correct size for the 'pinch bolt' on the front spindle :dood
  13. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Not sure exactly what youre referring to.
    The axle nuts front and rear should be the same size. Stock toolkit spanner fits it.

The pinch bolts on the front forks (4 in total) - are like 10mm or 13mm or something?
  14. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    The book method, as in how it is described in the owners manual "the book". There was a hammer involved that time, it was the first time I pulled it on the new to me bike.
  15. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    I just picked this up & never looked back...

Adv axle pull

[​IMG]
  16. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey Bob, fancy meeting you here! Now you've got a good reason to come to Dartmoor next month... we can compare toolkits!!:evil :evil

Never mind being 50 you can do that next year, this is much more important :freaky

See you soon

-Simon
  17. boboneleg

Oddometer:
    Yep, the pinch bolts are 10mm, i'm calling it by the wrong name. In the KTM book it refers to it as the 'collar screw' but we know it as the 'axle or spindle nut'

The front 'nut' on mine is definitely a different size to the rear, I've just measured it again. :becca
  18. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Just checked - mine are both the same size.
    (in fact you just reminded me that Id forgotten to cover my bike - not only would thieving chavs be eyeing it off, but the parking wardens would have been all over it like flies on a turd in the morning!). I owe you one :lol3
  19. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I guess its only on the pre '05 bikes that the axle nuts (collar screws) are of different size (24mm front, 30mm rear ??).

mine are 32mm front & rear, so the same spanner/wrench works.

You could cut off a suitable length wooden broom handle, same width as the axle and throw it into the tool kit.
  20. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    fixed