Bike hire or buy in Philippines

Discussion in 'Asia' started by spacekadet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. spacekadet

spacekadet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There have been a couple of previous posts about bike hire in PI, but there seems to be only limited options around the resort areas (same as Indonesia, I suppose).

I'm interested in doing a decent tour around Luzon, possibly multi-island.

I'd be grateful for an intro to any suitable rental company. I'm looking for a trail bike, minimum 250cc (I know that is rare).

Failing that, are there restrictions that prevent foreigners from owning a bike in PI?

cheers
  2. Aco201

Aco201 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I beleave it`s difficult to rent a bigger bike from a company.
    A privat rental might be easier.
    Just keep in mind that whatever goes wriong with the bike, will most likely be at your cost. No matter condition of the bike before you started.

I`m a foreigner and have my own KTM 950 SMR in my name.
    The "shitty" thing is that the bike has to be brought to LTO every year for emission control and re-registration.

If you plan to visit Phils several times, it might be easier to buy your own and try to store it at "a safe place" while you are not there.

I have seen several KTM`s for sale at http://www.ayosdito.ph and http://www.sulit.com.ph/

KTM also have branch in Manila.
  3. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Nice-Bike in Angles City, Pampanga, rents Honda TransAlps, XR200s and others at reasonable rates. The bikes are older but reasonably well maintained. I've rented from them several times for a week to 10 days and had positive experiences all but the last time, due to a disabling electrical problem while on the road.

The Transalp broke down an hour out on day one of that trip. To his credit, the owner did come retrieve the bike and didn't charge for any rental time. He wasn't happy about coming to get the bike, though, and I wouldn't expect him to ever do so in the future.

Nice-bike is a very reliable company but travelers should be careful of the many thieves and scam artists in A.C., in particular.

Mike, from Island Motorcycle Rentals, near Tagbilaran, Bohol has only smaller bikes but he is all about providing excellent customer service and he keeps newer bikes. I thoroughly enjoyed renting a Yamaha YBR125 from him. He may also have acquired bikes at Dumaguete, Negros, since I rented from him a year ago. YBRs are fast enough for Bohol and will carry a passenger quite well. The newer ones also have a good headlight, although riding at night should be avoided, as I have encountered several completely unlit scooters and tricycles after dark on Bohol (and other places in the provinces).

Michael, at MB's Garden Inn (home of Outsiders Motorcycle Club) near Mactan airport, Cebu, also rents small dual-sports. I've rented an older YBR125 and XR200 in the past and he was planning to acquire several new CRF250Ls this year. He has some larger cruisers, as well. Also a positive experience.

Edit: MB's website does state that help is available in the event of mechanical problems.

Other than Nice-Bike, I don't know of any rental companies offering larger dual-sports. You can easily tour Luzon on a smaller bike but are required to have 400cc or larger on the expressways. Smaller bikes are generally fine unless riding frequently to and from metro Manila, as the expressways make that more convenient. The better riding is outside Manila, anyway, and I wouldn't recommend riding in the metro region unless you absolutely have to.

Edit: I see that the Nice-Bike website is now advertising Kawasaki Versys, Kaw er6f street bikes, and CRF250Ls for rent. Looks like they're still renting the Transalps, and a Honda Dominator is still listed. The Versys would be a good choice for Luzon, unless going on more rugged dirt trails or jumping over tall curbs to get past traffic jams in Manila, haha!
  4. 250txc

250txc Full-time, amateur, 250cc Husqvarna Dirtbike Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi and I have a small dirt bike touring company on Cebu ... I've got Husqvarna dirt bikes currently for touring around Cebu and a few of the other neighboring islands ...

Send me a message here or to TXCRLB@gmail.com for more details ...
  5. rgon

rgon explore cordilleras

Oddometer:
    spacekadet, I use this bike for touring the inner roads of Northern Luzon -Cordilleras. this is an XR200, Honda. you may send an email for details.

cheers and goodluck!

rgon

.[​IMG]
  6. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated by rgon, the Honda XR 200 is available in the Philippines to both rent or purchase. I have had an XR 200 for 10 years now, it is a bike that does well here. Honda also started bring in their CRF 250 L last year, it is a far more modern design than the XR 200.

The biggest draw back of both of these bikes, is if you are living in the Manila area, it takes a long time to get to good riding without being able to use the Express Ways out of the city. Bikes below 400 cc are not allowed on the Express Ways.

Good advise regardless of what you maybe riding here, is: DON'T RIDE AFTER DARK.

The Philippines is a stunning country, and even more so on a motorcycle.
  7. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:

There is some excellent riding in Rizal and Quezon provinces, just to the east of metro Manila. Some very nice twisty roads without much traffic.

If you do end up with a smaller bike than is allowed on expressways, a rider can route through Antipolo City and to the east of Laguna de Bay to go between northern and southern Luzon. This serves as a route to bypass the metro region. There are also some good roads in Cavite and Batangas provinces, just south from Manila.

Besides YnotJP's excellent advice to never ride after dark, be aware that riding 300 km in the Philippines can feel like a very long day's ride, especially on a smaller bike. On the other hand, anyone new to riding in the Phils or other Asian countries will discover riding skills they didn't know they possessed. :)
  8. Kevin Dixon

Kevin Dixon HMFIC

Oddometer:
    http://parmotorrad.com

The guys name is Philippe. Really good rates and all inclusive. I believe they use GS650.
  9. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE
    Michael, at MB's Garden Inn (home of Outsiders Motorcycle Club) near Mactan airport, Cebu, also rents small dual-sports. I've rented an older YBR125 and XR200 in the past and he was planning to acquire several new CRF250Ls this year. He has some larger cruisers, as well. Also a positive experience.

Edit: MB's website does state that help is available in the event of mechanical problems.
    QUOTE]

I will 2nd Rackermans comment I stay at MBs when im in Cebu , its like going home when I arrive there. Michael has so much info , staff are great and food really good . Hire bikes well kept , they have a workshop with 3 mechanics . Only place to stay in Cebu if u are a biker .Look in my smugmug and you will see pics Cheers Toddy
  10. Mendo

Mendo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rented Three XR200s from http://www.nice-bike.com/ and toured the country on and offroad for 3 weeks. The bikes were in great shape and when my buddy had a bad wreck they were very reasonable on the repairs. Highly Reccomend this company, probably the only legit thing in Angeles City :rofl
  11. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    "When my buddy had a bad wreck, they were very reasonable on the repairs."
    Now there is a story there and we want to hear it.
  12. Mendo

Mendo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D
    http://www.mendoadv.blogspot.com/2013/01/day-6-up-at-crack-of-dawn-to-load-up.html

We were able to repair all the damage with OEM parts along the way and when we returned the bikes and told Nice Bike of the accident and repairs we agreed to pay some additional money for scratches and wear and tear which was more than reasonable imo. One of the best trips of my life.

[​IMG]
  13. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
    :clap