The Held Quattrotempi Gore-Tex® Apparel line - Gear discussion

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by stagecoach, Sep 15, 2011.

1. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    The Held Quattrotempi Gore-Tex Apparel line

*Updated 9/17 2nd installment, detail of Amarillo Jacket and Pezzo Pant posted - on page 2

*Updated 9/27 3rd installment, detail of Carese Jacket and Torno Pant posted - on page 2

This post is intended to open a discussion about the Held Quattrotempi Gore-Tex® line of apparel. I realize that here in the States Held apparel doesn’t have the same level of recognition as their gloves, due to the fact that it isn’t as widely stocked at dealers in the U.S. Because I currently have an example of each of the three suits imported by Held USA, I thought this was a great opportunity to present the features of each. My idea is to give an overview of the three suits, then detail each one in following posts.

I’ll take a moment to introduce myself. I have been an ADV member for a few years, and a lurker before that going back several years. I am an MSF Rider Coach, I have worked as a salesman at a multi-brand motorcycle dealership, and recently opened my own apparel and accessory shop called Smart Moto in Seekonk, MA. I’m very proud to carry the Held brand, and believe their design and build quality to be at the top of the industry.

Held USA imports a larger line of apparel including Cordura, leather, and mesh pieces, but the Quattrotempi pieces are special. These three suits showcase what they can really do when given an open design brief to produce a totally waterproof, detail-oriented range of suits using only the highest quality technical fabrics available. Each suit employs a different method and Gore product to achieve its Gore-Tex® “guaranteed to keep you dry” waterproof rating. The unique “cloverleaf” protective armor which is used in each suit was developed by SaS-Tec, with input from Held, specifically for the Quattrotempi line.

[​IMG]
    This photo shows the three available jacket and pant pairings. From left to right, the Carese jacket with Torno pants, the Cardona jacket with Frontino pants, and the Amarillo jacket with Pezzo pants (sold with an accompanying waterproof liner/shell, the Arso jacket and Sarone pants, which is pictured at the far right).

[​IMG]

The Carese jacket

[​IMG]

The Cardona jacket

[​IMG]

The Amarillo jacket

This is an example of the SaS-Tec Cloverleaf armor used in all three suits. Pictured here is a left shoulder piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Underside

The Carese/Torno suit suit uses a Gore-Tex® LTD removable liner to allow for maximum airflow with it removed when waterproofing isn’t neccessary. The suit has lots of venting, and makes a great Spring, Summer, Fall 3-season choice.

The Cardona/Frontino suit uses Gore-Tex® Pro-Shell triple-layer laminate, so the waterproofing is integral to the suit and not removable. This suit has less venting, and includes a removable thermal liner in the jacket and pants, making it suitable to cooler/cold weather. However, to extend the comfort range into warmer weather, Cool System is used to reflect solar radiation, and the shell is lined with a Coolmax mesh to move moisture off your skin. The Cardona/Frontino suit is the most versatile in a four-season climate, comfortable in all but the hottest conditions.

Lastly, the Amarillo/Pezzo suit uses an independent 2-piece Gore-Tex® Paclite Shell, which can be buttoned and zipped into the suit as a liner, or worn over the garments as a rain suit. This combination is constructed of 500D Ripstop Cordura and 500D perforated Cordura, making it the lightest and most vented of the three suits. This suit, and the appropriate base layers, may well be all you would need to own if you live in a warm climate.

If anyone would like to talk offline, my name is Jason and I can be reached at the shop by email:
    jason@smart-moto.com by phone: 774.901.2313 or just shoot me a PM

If you would like to take a closer look, I will have these suits with me at the IMOC Rally (Italian Motorcycle Owner Club) in Sturbridge, MA this Sunday September 18th

Next up, a detailed look at the Amarillo jacket, Pezzo pant, and the accompanying Arso jacket/Sarone pant Paclite Shell…

Ride Safe, Ride Smart
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that ENTIRE outer arm/shoulder covered in Superfabric on the Cardona? DAMN:clap
  3. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,

Yes indeed, the Cardona jacket is loaded with high end technical fabrics, including Superfabric covering the full length of the sleeve. Other tech fabrics included in this jacket/pant combo are

Schoeller Kevlar Keprotec stretch panels inside and under the arm of the jacket, and in the crotch and calves of the pants
    Gore-Tex Proshell throughout
    Armacor used on the pants for abrasion resistance

I will detail all of the features of this jacket and pants in an upcoming post - lots of pictures included

For everybody scratching their head trying to figure out which language we're speaking, here's my Gear Geek definition section:

*Gore-Tex Proshell is a triple-layer bonded fabric with a tough outer material, waterproof membrane, and a soft backer fabric. While riding in the rain, the outer shell absorbs less water which means less increase in weight and faster drying times.

*Superfabric was originally designed for US special forces to super-lightweight flexible armor to withstand, well, just about anything they would encounter (except bullets - it won't stop bullets). The fabric is 32% polyester, 68% epoxy resin. The concept is a fabric with tiny resin armor plates, the space between the plates being just large enough to keep the fabric supple. Superfabric is extremely abrasion resistant and puncture resistant.

*Armacor is basically Cordura with every 4th thread replaced with Kevlar. It currently has the highest abrasion resistance of any textile on the market.

*Schoeller Keprotec stretch fabric is an aramid weave that is, light, stretchy and comfortable. However, by weight it is five times stronger than steel.
  4. slashfive

slashfive moto celeritas

Oddometer:
    Great to see a local outfitter of good gear!
    Will come visit soon from southern RI!
  5. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Hi slashfive,

Thanks for the encouragement!
    I've just opened a couple months ago, so I'm still working on getting the right gear in the door. I've found a winner here.The Gore-Tex gear from Held is phenomenal, the attention to detail is evident after only a few minutes of playing with it.

If you keep an eye the flea market, you may see a few of my postings showing up - I'll be clearing my closet to make space for one of these suits!

The scenic route over the bridges and through Newport is worth the toll if the weather's right.
    Come on up anytime, I have donuts (locally made) out on a Saturday morning, and the K-Cup machine is always on for a cup of joe.

Jason

Ride Safe, Ride Smart
  6. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    NIcely done. That Held stuff is excellent. Good choice and best to you.

BP
  7. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    BP,

Thanks very much, that means a lot coming from you.

Ride Safe, Ride Smart
    Jason
  8. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:

What did I tell you .. the next 'best suit made' has just arrived and you're already drooling :rofl
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    And YOU ended up in another thread about high end suits:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  10. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Oh, I'm an addict, there's no doubt :deal :lol3

Just not super rich so it keeps me in check :cry

Nice looking suits BTW, maybe the Latitude or Badlands will get a run for my $$

$699 for the Carese, wonder how much for the other two??
  11. grandpa_ken

grandpa_ken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. Looking forward to more information.
  12. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Dan, I believe we've had dealings before in the flea market, no?

Good eyes, the Carese jacket is $699, and the rest... I'm not sure I want to scare anybody off before I get to posting about the individual suits. :D

Without sounding overly secretive, I'd rather keep this thread focused on the gear itself. If you'd like to discuss pricing, just call or shoot me a message off-thread. jason@smart-moto.com , 774.901.2313 phone , or PM me
    Everything forwards to my cell phone, and I'm willing to field late night emails.

I offer an ADV forum member discount, shoot me an email and I'll give you the details.

Jason

Ride Safe, Ride Smart
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Are there any other jackets from the Held line up you plan to carry? I've seen some nice looking stuff on some of the Euro vendors websites.
  14. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Hi swimmer,

Out of the numerous pieces they make for the European market, Held USA only has one non-Gore-Tex textile jacket for men that they are importing, the Awara. Outer is made from 600D Heros-Tec with 900D Cordura abrasion patches. The waterproofing is by a Reissa Z-Liner membrane. Nice looking, great features, and very competitively priced at $249.99 (plus optional thermal liner for $29.99)

I don't stock the jacket now, but may bring some in. I really like the jacket, and at that price point think it's a buy.

From what I hear, Held USA is trying to concentrate on the Quattrotempi line going forward, and not try to compete in an over-crowded mid-range textile market.

Jason

Ride Safe, Ride Smart

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The Imola jacket was one I was hoping you might be bringing in.
  16. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    I hear you swimmer, that's a great jacket.

Held has a good stake in the European apparel market, and have a large catalog to choose from - in Europe. I believe their 2011 catalog is around 360 pages, but they are mostly known as a glove maker in this country.

That model isn't imported by Held USA, but I believe I can special order the jacket for you - I will confirm that. It would be a bit of a wait, but if I you'd like to pursue that, I'm on it.

Jason

Ride Safe, Ride Smart
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  18. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    The Held Amarillo jacket and Pezzo pant, part of the Quattrotempi Gore-Tex line.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Amarillo jacket and Pezzo pants are sold as separate pieces, purchase of either includes an accompanying Gor-Tex Paclite shell which can be attached inside as a liner or worn over the garment as a rain suit. Together, they are the lightest and most breathable of the three Quattrotempi suits, this combination is Held’s warm weather waterproof suit. Color options are the grey/black pictured here, and all-black.

The outer shell of the jacket and pant is constructed of 500D perforated Cordura through the body, and 500D Ripstop Cordura for abrasion resistance in the traditional contact areas. On the jacket, that means the shoulders, outside of collar, down the outside of sleeves and lower back are Ripstop. On the pants, the knees, back of the calves, crotch and seat. Superfabric is used for additional abrasion resistance at the elbows and knees. The pants also have an anti-slip seat patch made of Pittards leather*. There are 3 zippered pockets on the outside - 2 hand warmer types, and 1 on the left chest.

(Gear Geek note: Pittards leather is the hide of a “Hairsheep” , which is a cross between a sheep and a goat only found in the mountains of some African countries. The hide is soft and comfortable, like goatskin, but more dense and hardwearing. This leather is 30% more resistant to tearing and abrasion than cowhide of the same thickness.)

Below, detail near the collar. note the sparkplug zipper pull. The grey fabric is 500 Denier perforated Cordura
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Below, Superfabric reinforcement on elbow (pic on left), and knee (pic on right)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Below, seat is reinforced with 500 Denier Cordura and Pittards leather anti-slip seat pad. Note buttons at waistband for attaching optional braces/suspenders, and full-circumference zipper for joining jacket to pants
    [​IMG]

Inside the jacket, warm weather comfort is improved by the Coolmax mesh liner, and 3D air mesh panels. Other interior details include 3 interior pockets and a cell phone pouch, a removable kidney belt, and a full-circumference jacket/pant connection zipper (including a removable stretchy spacer strip to accommodate a forward- lean position). The elbow and shoulder protection are a unique-to-Held “cloverleaf” design of CE Level 1spec SaS-Tec armor. The back comes with removable Temperfoam “padding” which can be upgraded to a 3-segment CE Level 2 “cloverleaf” SaS-Tec back protector. The 3 segments include a back protector, coccyx (tailbone) protector, and neck protector. (The coccyx protector may be placed in either the jacket or pant, giving versatility to mix and match garments while retaining the same level of protection.)

Interior of Amarillo jacket
    [​IMG]

Integral kidney belt, which can be removed simply by unzipping each side
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3 pockets for back protection. Will accommodate a cloverleaf SaS-Tec neck protector, back protector, and coccyx (tailbone) protector. Last photo shows pocket in pants for coccyx protector
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

(Gear Geek note: It’s important to note that the Temperfoam that ships with the jacket is not considered back protection, just padding. To be an approved back protector, the armor must comply with EN 1621-2 certification, which allows for no more than 18Kn of force to be transmitted through the protector from a 50J impact. That standard is twice the rating needed for elbow, shoulder, or knee armor, which needs to comply with EN 1621-1 calling for no more than 35Kn of transmitted force from the same impact.)

Fit can be dialed in with the velcro dual arm adjusters. Wrist closure is by zipper with a velcro strap adjuster.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Waist adjuster. Nice touch backing the loop with velcro. It's the numerous tiny details like this that make such a nicely finished product
    [​IMG]

The Pezzo pant is constructed much the same as the Amarillo jacket. Features to note are the Superfabric reinforced knees and Pittards leather seat pad mentioned earlier. Protection includes cloverleaf SaS-Tec knee armor, and Temperfoam padded hip which can be upgraded to cloverleaf SaS-Tec armor. Leg zipper extends 15" up the inside of the calf to make entry easier.

Below, Pezzo pant. Superfabric on knee.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2 zippered slash pockets, and a zippered pocket on left thigh
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Waist closure by hook and snap
    [​IMG]

The gold and red band inside the waist covers the full-circumference zipper when not in use.
    [​IMG]

The Gore-Tex Paclite waterproof shell pieces that are included with the jacket and pants can also be purchased separately as the Arso jacket and Sarone pant. These can be worn fastened inside the Amarillo/Pezzo suit as a liner, or on the outside as a rain suit. The Paclite suit can also be worn as a stand alone rain suit, adding to the versatility of the suit and freeing up luggage space when on a road trip/camping (one less thing to carry). Features include a stow-away hood, thin enough to wear under your helmet preventing the dreaded drip down your neck.

The Arso Gore-Tex Paclite jacket that comes with the Amarillo jacket. Hood stows into collar. May be used as a liner or rain jacket outside the Amarilllo. Middle photo shows the bungee loops for buttoning the Arso into the Amarillo. Pocket detail
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wrist closure by zipper and velcro strap
    [​IMG]

The Sarone Gore-Tex Paclite pant that comes with the Pezzo pant.
    [​IMG]

3M Scotchlite is used on all four garments for conspicuity.

Amarillo jacket and Pezzo pants. far right, bottom of pant leg
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Arso Gore-Tex Paclite jacket
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Side of Sarone Gore-Tex Paclite pant
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading!
    Next installment, the Carese jacket and Torno Pants
  19. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    PM answered!