Icefields parkway and Agate bay road info

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deleted163112, May 2, 2010.

1. I was hoping to get some info on the road that branches off highway 5 in BC south of Barriere and connects with the Shuswaps at the south tip of Adams lake...I think it is call Agate bay rd and then changes to several others but it looks like the same all the way through.

Is this road paved or gravel with logging trucks ripping up and down it? I was hoping to shave a bit of time off a trip to the Shuswaps via Jasper without having to go through Kamloops.

Also, can anyone tell me what road conditions to expect on the Icefields parkway (hwy 93) in early June?
  2. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:

It is mostly paved but there is a small amount of gravel between Skwaam Bay and Bush Creek Provincial Park. Been through several times and never seen much traffic. This picture was taken about half way along the gravel section. The road has always been in great shape during my trips over it including in the rain. It is a nice way to by-pass Kamloops.

[​IMG]
  3. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Icefields in early June?

That's easy. Sunny and warm, possibility of rain, snow or cloud.

Generally, it's really nice. That time of year you're ahead of the motorhome migration.
    Just watch your speed, the mounties want you to enjoy the scenery.

Just noticed your location. You would expect snow wouldn't you?
  4. Thanks for the info Manxman!

@GP640

I am familiar with hwy 93 but I've only traveled it in late July and August. This is also my first year on a bike ( complete noob ) and just wanted to make sure I wasn't biting off more than I can chew. I wasn't sure if snow was the norm for that time frame.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    We've been through the Sunwapta Pass and the Icefields in May like it was a summer day and we've had snow in July. One of the most pleasant rides from Jasper to Banff I've had was in October one year with nearly everything closed along the way. It's hit and miss and things could be the complete opposite 25 miles later. Basically watch the forecasts and AMA road reports.
  6. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    re: Agate Bay Rd - Sinmax Creek Rd - Holding Rd - Squilax/Anglemont Rd (apparently the route has a bit of an identity complex)

You shouldn't see much truck traffic along that route at all - the sawmill in Barriere burned to the ground a few years back when a forest fire ripped its way through the Thompson Valley.

I grew up in Clearwater - just north of Barriere - so I've driven this route a couple times and the worst you might have to watch for is some loose gravel on the outsides of the big sweepers.

I'll just echo everyone's else sentiment regarding the weather in the parkway - stay informed on current weather, as it can pull a complete 180 from sunshine to snowstorm in a heartbeat.
  7. Destructo the Mad

Destructo the Mad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That road has become part of my default route when riding to/from the Okanagan or Kootenays. It is paved from Hwy 5 to Agate bay, and quite fun & scenic, then gravel for 2/3 of the road from Agate Bay to the junction with Hwy 1 near Chase, BC. The last time I rode it, about a month ago, all of the gravel had been compacted down so much it was almost like riding on (really crappy) asphalt. I have ridden it without anxiety or incident on a Road King.
    I usually continue south from there on the Turtle Valley Rd/Chase-Falkland Rd, another enjoyable backroad that is about 70% paved, that takes you into Vernon. My experience with both of those roads has been that there has been minimal traffic.
  8. Thanks for all the excellent info guys!

I heard there was a road that roughly connected Blue River to somewhere around Anglemont, can anyone confirm this? It is unlikely that I will take it as I'm fairly green on gravel but it would be interesting to know for the future.
  9. RealtorGordonB

RealtorGordonB Plated Dirt Bike :)

Oddometer:
    I drove it yesterday in SUV, fair to good pavement from Barriere 1/4 way then some new pavement until Agate Bay lakehead, turns to packed gravel with great vistas/ steep drop offs and I figured this would be a great DS ride even for the biggest bikes- there was some grading and roller packing happening just before pavement restarts near the lumber mill on Chase side of the lake.
  10. Tigerland

Tigerland new to ADV

Oddometer:
    Banff to Jasper is a great ride. Ice fields can get cold if raining. I had it once down to +5 in Aug. heated vest and grips no worries. Stunning ride and Jasper is a cool town.

When heading out stop in lake Louise to pick up coffee and lunch at the bakery. It is located in the corner of the strip mall across the street from fuel station. Best baked good ever. I grab lunch there, and take it with me for later stop on the way to Jasper.
    Also watch speed. You are in a national park so 90 km's is posted. They are hot around the ice fields. After all too nice of a ride to go speeding through. Also watch for mountain goats that like to stand in the middle of the road.

Safe riding. Enjoy.
  11. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    If you do ride Banff to Jasper section I would suggest getting off the Icefields/trans Canada and taking the Bow valley Parkway from Banff to Lake Louise or which ever direction your headed.

Its been a LOT of years since I lived in Banff but I used to love this little section of road for running up and down to get my ya yas out.

http://goo.gl/maps/U99C2

Cheers, Todd
  12. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need a park pass.

Amazing road (for views).
    Skied and climbed a lot of stuff up that way. Miss it.

Mornings even in summer can be cool.
  13. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second that when I lived in Lake L. And Banff it was the funniest way.

Can't wait to back out there on the bike
  14. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When heading out stop in lake Louise to pick up coffee and lunch at the bakery. It is located in the corner of the strip mall across the street from fuel station. Best baked good ever. I grab lunch there, and take it with me for later stop on the way to Jasper.
    Laggan's. Use to head there every morning before heading into work in Banff (Henry's Electric) best Coffe and breakfast sandwich ever.
    Man why did I leave!!!!
  15. DNF

DNF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bakery was good then it had five plus years of suckage. Haven't been there in five years.
    Glad to hear it is good again.

Hostel in Louise is cheap to stay, clean, and has very good food.
  16. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats true too they always had good food, we use to eat there too. Awsome Chicken Ceasar salad.