Oklahoma City Metro Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Dadayama, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought we should start a thread for those of us stuck living in the metropolitan area of OKC... I recently went on a ride in Arkansas and met 3 folks from the area who don't have anyone to ride with. Thought we could have a spot to give a shout out to others in the city area to organize rides, discuss issues related to the metropolitan area. There are a lot of different kinds of riders who like to ride in different ways, so lets keep it open to everyone. If I hear of anything happening around the city i'll try to post it... you do the same..

Peter over and out
  2. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    Ok... I'll start this thread...

I want some new riding pants... and Cycle Gear only has Bilt... are there any other good places around town to look at? anyone know if the moto shop in Jones has any good gear?
  3. dwiggins

dwiggins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to Jones very many times but I don't recall very much gear other than a few hemets. Ajax seems to have quite a bit.
    Don
  4. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The closest place to the metro area for any of the gear we want, is in...Dallas. We take road trips down to the Moto Liberty store. On the plus side, there is a great little Korean restaurant just down the street from them.
    Jones Off-Road has almost nothing, gear-wise.
  5. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    Thanks... the next time the Wife wants to go to IKEA, I'll check it out...
  6. dwiggins

dwiggins Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    Got this in an email... not my thing but could be fun... Happening in Bricktown...

"I wanted to let you know that our dealership is having a Can-am Spyder Test drive event in Bricktown in Oklahoma City next weekend on April 27 and 28 from 10am-6pm both days. It will be located at the NW corner of Sheridan & Mickey Mantle Drive. The location will be clearly marked with banners. This is OKC's first Spyder event, and since we were Oklahoma's first dealer back in 2008, we got selected to be the supporting dealer. If you wouldn't mind, please pass the information along to any members you feel might be interested. This will be one of the few chances to get an extended test drive on a Spyder on the actual roads (not in a parking lot). Thank you very much and we hope you are having a wonderful spring! "

Courtney Ashford
    Duval Equipment
    405-273-2500
    www.duvalequipment.com

Peter in OKC, OK
  8. dwiggins

dwiggins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not really a riding destination, but I tried "The Cow Calf-Hay" this last weekend w/ my wife and it was very good. I actually live only 2 miles from this but had never tried it. Some folks that I work with recommended it and I was not disappointed. It is on the SE corner of 33rd & Broadway, in Edmond, behind the Jamba Juice & Little Caesar's.
    Don

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1547...-City/Original-Edmond/The-Cow-Calf-Hay-Edmond
  9. Torquer

Torquer Hey, watch this.....

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Superstore has good deals on alot of stuff. I suggest trying there. You you guys ever come through Tulsa to go to AR hit me up I will try to come with you.:freaky
  10. RogerWilco

Oddometer:

I usually just go to Johnnies but my next burger outing is going to be at the Cow. If everyone likes it, I'm planning to take all the credit for finding it. If they complain about the food, then I'm going to blame it all on you! :D
  11. Ensey

Ensey KLR Combat Touring

Oddometer:
    Go by and see Dan at Maxeys on NW 39th and he may know about upcoming rides plus he can get you whatever gear you want.
  12. sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Wannabe

Oddometer:
    From Norman here.

Yeah I got my Olympia stuff at Moto Liberty in Dallas. Used to buy stuff at Cycle 1 which is now closed. Have bought some stuff at Cycle Queer on occasion.

I'm down for a big bike ride, or a dirtbike ride (as long as you don't go too fast on your orange bike, I'm on a DRZ for now). Just let me know. I'm a night shift ER nurse so I get a lot of weekdays off if any of you others have weirdo schedules too, let's ride!

I love day rides to Mt. Scott, Talimena Drive, or anywhere else east of here a couple hours, just let me know!
  13. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    I keep trying to figure out some day rides and such taking dirt roads... but here in the city you have to drive a bit to get out to the dirt roads... I think it might be fun to go to somewhere eat lunch and head back...

so if anyone knows of some day trips from the metro please share...

I came up with this one going to Stillwater...

OKC Metro to Stillwater

I just recently found this website for county roads for Oklahoma... you have to look it up by county and it is in PDF form... but it tells you if the road is dirt or not... on the Stillwater route i used google maps and zoomed in to see if it was dirt or not... one small stretch is actually paved but looked like dirt because it was so rough....

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/maps/county/index.htm

Not sure if other people are interest in these kinds of things... but i have to have something to occupy the back of my brain while i'm stuck at work all day...

14. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    Backwoods in Oklahoma City is having a camping stove and food demo this Saturday 5-12-12 at 12 noon...

This is a quote from there facebook page :"Learn different food and stove options for any adventure. Come try some backpacking food.....it's better than you think!"

I like to motorcycle camp... not trying to advertise for them.... just spreading the word... i saw Bill Dragoo do a talk at one of these things and there was like 5 people in the audience...

Pedro in OKC
  15. RogerWilco

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have enough of an interest in these kinds of things that we recently purchased two BMWs just to ride the county roads around here. She still has her old Yamaha TT225 and I still have my CanAm Qualifier dirt bike, but these aren't street legal.
    Thanks for posting the route and the road website!
  16. dwiggins

dwiggins Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm still a few weeks away from getting my new to me fe570 street leagal, but I would be interested in a ride from time to time.

If you started your trip a few more miles north at Seward Rd & Hwy 74 there is a park and ride area if someone wanted to haul their bike to the start. Seward is paved from Hwy 74 west and goes into Cashion, but is dirt going east and loops around Liberty Lake.
    Don
  17. sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I'm interested for sure. I love finding dirt roads close to home. I won't be able to keep up with dwiggins on the 'Berg but I'll have the drz pinned!
  18. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I just found this thread! Glad to see a thread for OKC area. Subscribed.

Took a little ride today on the F800, the wife had a hen party at he house so had to vacate the premises for the afternoon. Found some dirt roads south of Geary around the river and started to explore, but was too muddy for my street tires. Yhink i'll go back on the WRR and explore a little further sometime.
  19. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I ride seward rd east from 74 to liberty lake, then to guthrie lake. There is a good bbq/catfish place on the north end of Guthrie off I-35. Lot of good dirt roads up that way.

If anyone wants to ride dirt roads on the weekend I'd be game.

Go Thunder!!
  20. Dadayama

Oddometer:

Dangit!... I have obligations the next three weekends, but will hit you up in mid June...

I'm heading to the Flint Hills Stampede at the end of June... Have never attended, but heard it was fun.