Another advice on Alps please.

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by 2WheelieADV, Jun 8, 2012.

1. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the routes we plan to go form Barcelona through the Alps to reach Milan and than continue to Innsbruck. (later to Munch).
    I know that many riders here have traveled that area, however, I'm making the routs based on what I read here and just guessing by looking at google maps and the terrain.
    I'd really appreciate any comments from knowledgeable people what they think and maybe can contribute some useful info or comments.

Thank you.

First part:
    http://goo.gl/maps/Ca65

Second part
    http://goo.gl/maps/dJV1

Third part
    http://goo.gl/maps/soSh
  2. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perpignan to Aix is pretty boring whichever way you go so I'd be tempted to head for Sort and Andorra before heading East and then take the autoroute.

For your "Part 2", stay for as long as you can on the Routes des Grandes Alps:

[​IMG]

Head East as late as you can time-wise, maybe after Galibier.

Others will be better experienced to advise on section three.
  3. Andysr6

Andysr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I would suggest heading into the Pyrenees (particularly if riding dual purpose bike), over to just north of Nice (cannot help with that route) avoiding the coast (traffic) , follow Route de Grande Alpes for amazing roads. I leave for Spain on the 19th June and will be in the Pyrenees early July before heading to the Stella Alpina rally. Andy
  4. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pyrenees -Aix could also be fun ... maybe slow, but fun
    Just do
    Carcassonne -> Mazamet ->St Pons Thomieres -> Bèdarieux -> Lodeve -> Le Vigan -> Florac -> Le Pont de Montvert -> Gorges de l'Ardeche -> Orange

Third part : Not bad, but you lose all the Dolomites thats by very far the best part of alps...
  5. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys for the input.
    As for Dolomites, I'd love to but afraid won't be enough time as we'll continue up to Prague.
    Can someone pinpoint the Dolonities route anyway, maybe will be able stretch it out a bit..?
  6. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cortina d'Ampezzo - Tolmezzo - Bovec - Kranjska Gora
  7. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, through the Cevennes is fun.
  8. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing that you haven't mentioned is how much time that you have.

Regarding the Dolomites, if you do nothing else, at least go through them. I'd modify your route like this:

After Stelvio, instead of going north to Nauders & Austria, head east towards Merano & Bolzano.

Go north out of Bolzano to Ponte Gardena and head up the Val Gardena (Grodner Tal) to Selva and the Passo Sella.

Over the Sella and almost all the way down to Canazei, take a left to go over the Passo Pordoi, through Arabba and over the Passo Falzarego and down into Cortina. From there, you can head north to Dobbiaco and then on to Innsbruck via the Brenner Pass - or - add a wee bit onto your ride and loop out of Cortina a bit further east to Lago Misurina,

[​IMG]

and then north to pick up the road to Dobbiaco.

This will add a day to your trip, but, from a scenery and riding perspective, it may be the most intense day you'll have.

I like Wildman's route, but it may take you further east than you want to go.
  9. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, here is our plan. From Innsbruck we going to Munich (thru Neuschwanstein Castle), than to Prague. From Prague we going south to Vienna than to Budapest. After that we want to go down to Kator (thru BH), Dubrovnik, and up to Zadar for ferry to Italy. Cross Italy and up to Genna then back to Barcelona thru Cannes. We have 23 days for this so actually I'm not sure if it is an optimistic plan or we'll have to improvise as we go... We may have to take highways (motorways/autostradas) in the not so interesting places in order to save on time.
  10. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done this a few times as was living near Olot for 3 months and also did a loop from Avignon down to Italy and back. So have some good experience of the area.

I think that if you have time you should loop around the headland down in Spain and check out Cadaques - the birthplace of the Pyrenees, google Cadaques, very nice place. You could cut through Figueres - another nice spot and the head out to the bay of rosses and follow the coast around Rosses to Cadaques - NICE riding!

If you needed to sacrifice some riding you could avoid crossing over into France up above Ripoll and instead cut down to Oix and Castelfollit de la roca like this - here

Between Perpignan and Arles I would just crank out the Autoroute - it will only cost around 15 euro and that inland area in France I don't think there is really all that much to see there.

Where you are taking Arles and then cutting up across Aix-en-Provence. It is nice to maybe head a little further north to Cavaillon>Apt>Manosque and then head to Castellane. Castellane is nice, if you check out my ride report below I have some pics. You already plan on going there... plenty of hairpin turns on the downhill into Castellane :D
  11. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Budget at least 1/2 day (at the castle) if you want to tour the castle. Massive crowds.
  12. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    An interesting possibility is the ferry Livorno-Barcelona of Grimaldi Lines http://www.grimaldilines.com/
  13. jetjackson

Oddometer:
    Isn't Grimaldi the line where a ship sank only a couple of months back?
  14. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    No.
  15. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the tour, but Just wana see it at least from outside in close view.
  16. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    This can be taken into consideration, thanks. But the thing is that we aren't sure when exactly will be there and the ferry has to be reserved like few weeks in advance.
  17. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    And maybe a short detour from Lodeve to ride this:

[​IMG]
  18. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jetjackson. I'll follow your advice on going thru Rosses cost in Spain.
    Love your vid and report!!
  19. jetjackson

Oddometer:
    Ah damn, I totally forgot about this when I went through France, will have one more chance when I head back through in late Sept.

As for OP, Mate, we just went from Sarajevo-Zabljak-Kotor over the past 2 days and it was phenomenal riding, don't miss it if you get a chance. Especially coming down into Kotor.

Link us the ride report in this thread when you do it up hey :) Cheers for the comments on the blog, appreciated. When in Catalan, try the Catilan Botifarra sausage, also make sure you try Jamon, the way the Spanish eat it, also try Ratafia - it's like an after dinner shot, a digestiv. They also eat squid for breakfast so try that if you get a chance.

There is the best Paella in Spain just near there, I cant remember the name of the restaurant but I have emailed my mate and asked him to remind me. Not that expensive either, maybe 20 euro each, but if you are going to eat Paella this is the place.

In Catalan eveyone says Deo as in good bye, like Day-oh, they get a real kick out of it when a foreigner starts saying it.
  20. jetjackson

Oddometer:
    Just got an email back from my mate,

Restaurante Casa Pilar (only open weekends) in Cadaquez - best Paella in Spain!

If that isn't open you could try Cala d'or in Cadaquez also.

There is also Meson del Conde in Sant Marti De Empuries - this is before the bay of Rosses on the cost. They have great Paella too, right near the beach. Quaint little spanish villages all the way through there.