Little Logistical Advice With Luggage On The SE

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Good evening all

We are still tossing up the luggage scenario.

Three Main Options we are have are,

1, Wolfman panniers on the rear, wolfman tank panniers and wolfman tank bag with large wolfman duffle bag on the rear, we have enough room but means we have approx 40 - 45 L up on the rear weighing 33 lb. or 14 kg.

2, Jesse panniers on the rear, wolfman tank bag and wolfman large duffle on the rear.

3, Jesse panniers on the rear, wolfman tank panniers and wolfman tank bag with a small wolfman duffle on the rear approx 33 L, by way of size approx 22 lb. or 10 kg

If we do Jesses we will add about 20 lb. or 10kg to the luggage system but we will then have two lockable compartments too.

If we run totally wolfman we can lose the hard luggage weight but it adds more to the carrier up on the back so we have a higher C of G, with the Jesses the weight would be slung lower.

I don't want a pissing match on the merrits of each but some sideways thinking on how best to keep our C of G down and the best option given our choices.

We are two up on our RTW trip so won't be doing 6 ft jumps and hard out riding two up.

This is an exercise on the best way to setup fo us to continue.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas. :clap
  2. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Andi - I think given the weight difference between the two the higher COG would be negligible. Alternatively what if you hang the soft bags off some pannier racks rather than the back rack?
  3. Remmie

Remmie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something like this, Touratech rack with Ponysteel luggage our something like it (our you make them yourself).
    The bags are big, room for 2 up, low center of gravity and the the Toutatech rack strengthened the back a little.

[​IMG]

Remmie :ricky
  4. DeepInIt

DeepInIt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you reinforce your subframe? 2 up with luggage sounds like trouble with the SE, particularly with hard bags. The luggage frame can help strength wise but needs to have no pivot points (usually 2 bolts at the rear footpegs).

I run multiple setups on mine now but did Pelican cases for the main part of my trip to SA. I really enjoyed the security of lockable cases and had a key to remove them easily. CJ rear rack and hard top case :eek1, ease of use, again key removable and backpad for passenger. But all the weight was low spread between my panniers front and rear. My luggage rack was the most fragile part of my bike for the trip as I did mostly offroad and had to have it welded many times.

I run Wolfman tank and tank panniers. The tank panniers are great for tools and oil and allow you to balance the bike front to rear. I left them on the bike most of the time and used little combination locks on the zipper pulls keep out opportunistic thieves. I assume that you put on a locking gas cap? Beware that the tank bag can block the venting and cause gas leaks.

I'm still in SA and switched to a Giant Loop Great Basin bag on the rear. Loaded with the additional dry bag on top, if I try to pack for months of trip, I certainly notice the weight being high on the bike. It can be done but long trips are better with low slung weight. Wolfman panniers are low enough and you just learn to pack with heavy stuff on the bottom.

Have a great trip!
  5. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the comments above, all good stuff. With your leg length being not so long, it will be very easy to tip over with any kind of weight up high. Put your wifey on the bike with you and do some slow speed, stop and go experimentation. You will see it is very challenging to keep a top heavy SE upright when slowing to a stop, especially on the off camber type of terrains.

You will save yourself time and troubles down the road if you could pull off your subframe here in Phoenix. Take it to a competent TIG welder and do a proper reinforcement. It will cost you less than a 908 RR tire. You definitely will not regret this expenditure. Then you can run whatever luggage system you decide upon (within reason).

This public service message is brought to you by a chronic over-packer....who is SLOWLY learning to change his ways.
  6. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hello Andi.

I'm back in the Sates and finally have some time to surf ADV...

I agree with the previous post. Reinforce the rear aluminum subframe.
    Then check with Eric at Wolfman...
    With his new bags that are coming out, and some of Berg's rear luggage racks you would have a great setup.

BTW - we all want to see a picture of you two, and all your gear on the SE!

Give me a call if you need any help or send a PM.

Best wishes.
    Q~
  7. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    What are these new bags you speak of?
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    I would go with option#1 and add a smallish plastic GIVI type topcase. That way the Missus has something to rest against.
    Set-up like Craig and Sharon have. Theirs is a 50 litre Hepco-Becker. :1drink