Need Help - 5W30 oil on a trials smoker?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Seavoyage, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    I recently acquired a 1995 JT35. http://www.gasgasmotos.es/image/motos/1995_contact_jt_35.jpg

GasGas http://www.gasgas.com/tech.htm recommends 650cc of 5W30 which seems to be difficult to find in a non-synthetic JASO-MA certified version.

GasGas is also quite specific not to use Synthetic oils in the transmission/clutch. Modern synthetic motorcycle oils are not recommended in trials bikes which demands a lot from the feel of the clutch.

I'm hesitant to try a 5W30 motor oil with friction modifiers designed for automobiles. I run ATF-F in my 2003 Pro, as recommended for the 'Pro' motor; but I don't think ATF-F is appropriate in the older motor.

The GasGas JT35 motor is similar to the older GT Contact, and used in the JTR/JTX/TXT and Edition line all the way to 2004, with a similar design used by Sherco till 2009. Absolutely bullet-proof engine with the first 4 gear ratios for trials, and 5th/6th for trail riding. Sam engine design was adopted into the GasGas Enduro and MX engines from the mid-'90s to present.

Any recommendations for a 5W30 Dino oil without friction modifiers?

BTW - On my GasGas EC300 I run 900cc of Rotella T(15W40) as recommended for the Rekluse clutch.
  2. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have always run rotella t, amsoil 0w-40 or atf in my trials bikes , depending on what worked best. in the end rotella t always won out. it's a little heavier action, but the price and durability of it makes it a no brainer.. atf makes super smooth clutch, but needed frequent changes..... amsoil 0w-40 eliminated clutch drag i got from rotella t in a fantic (late 80's) i had, but that was the only time it worked better than rotella t.... i've got rotella t in every 2 stroke i own right now.... it kinda depends on how you're planning on using the trials bike....if it's for competition i would use atf... if for anything else, rotella t..
  3. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    Thanks! I just got off the phone with GasGas - Rotella and Amsoil came up. We're going for Rotella - only down side: need a good warm up, but that should be Standard Operating Procedure in 2-strokes to extend piston/cylinder life.

Ryan Young has promoted Maxima MTL 75W for the Sherco which is a similar engine design. Anyone familiar with Maxima Snow 4T which is a JASO-FC certified dino 5W30 in a wet-clutch transmission? http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=10
    or Maxima Premium4 a JASO-MA certified dino 5W30 http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6

Sherco recommended Valvoline Syntec or Durablend 4T 10w-40 for the gearbox

Found Honda and Yamalube 5W30 non-synthetic!
  4. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    I use ELF HTX 740 now for every two stroker I own, all of them have wet clutches in oil bath / gear box:

- 1979 TY 200, (former 125 cc)
    - 1980 SWM TL.NW
    - 1981 Bultaco Sherpa, (clutch with steel plates!)
    - 1989 KTM 500

and it works very good even the very special and burdened with problems gearbox and clutch of the SWM works,
    it even improves clutch operation.

ELF states that the gearbox oil HTX 740 is only made for dry clutches. :deal ...so much to the manufacturers opinion. There are two other backdraw's it's difficult to get and cost some money.

Anyway a good oil especially made for gearbox on oil or synthetic basis also ATF should do the job.