Is there still any love for the 1150 GS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Rick G, May 21, 2009.

1. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it just me or does it seem like every thread around here is about the 1200 GS series and that the 1150 GS series is fading away into memory. So I thought I would revive discussions on the 1150 GS by singing the praises of my Big Pig.

This past weekend while riding home from the European Riders Rally in Burkesville, KY I hit 50,000 on my 2004 GS. This is a personal milestone for me as I had never put more than about 25K on a bike before getting tired of it and selling or trading it for something different. Well, I am still not tired of riding that Pig! It does everything I ask of it and has never complained and NEVER EVER let me down. Thats right, no final drive failures. No Servo Brake Failures (or issues). No electrical issues. No nothing!! Hell, it still has the original battery. I wanted to replace it during the 48k service but my dealer refused saying it tested out like new. Unless you consider one failed fuel line connector and one failed crush washer that caused a small oil leak problems, this bike has been 99.9% trouble free!

During that same 48K service I did have them pull the final drive for inspection and though it was a bit dry, he detected no wear and lubed it back up. I did spring for a new clutch just because he was already there, but even that had at least 40% life left.

This bike has definitely been the single best bike ownership experience I have had since I started riding 14 years ago.

Your exprierences may vary! :deal

Rick G

I am looking forward to the next 50,000 miles!

Attached Files:

2. Motowalt

Motowalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just back from a good time at the Great River Road Rally, Soldier's Grove, Wisconsin and a visit to the new Harley Museum at Milwaukee (a very beautiful town by the way...).

The 1150 runs like a top since I adjusted the valves and syncronized the throttle bodies! Only just turned 26,000 miles so am still running her in :D
  3. Guzz

Guzz Gutless wonder

Oddometer:
    The 1100 owners said the same thing when the 1150 came out.

Everyone wants the newer, better thing. The old is passe.

I thought long and hard about trading in my 1150 for a 1200 when it came out. But I remembered that when I bought my 1150 I told myself that this was going to be the last "New" vehicle I would ever buy, and I was going to ride this thing till it died. Looks like I've got another 10 years to go, at least :wink:
  4. thauma

thauma n00b

Oddometer:
    well my bike isn't as old as me, and I'm still going strong.

The bike performs better than I can, and there's no real need to change it - so I won't.

after many years of riding sports bikes, I tried the 1150GS, GSA and 1200GS in 2004.

Wanted the 1200, but the 6 month witing list was unbearable, so went for the 1150GSA - haven't looked back.

I don't do a high mileage, but do get in 1 or 2 European tours a year. The bike does all that I want and I have no complaints - except for the screen (don't want a hyper tourer, just want some quite clear air)

Would I change the bike - nope, would I look at any other type of bike - maybe a small trails bike for local difficult runs where the GS is too heavy. But that would be in addition to the GS not to replace it

:clap :clap :clap 1150 GSA:clap :clap :clap
  5. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck, I just bought mine. I'll be around awhile. :freaky
  6. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I love my 1150GS. It has given me some headaches in the past year (and I'm working on getting a replacement trans right now), but it is such a great, does-everything-well bike. I just bought an '06 R12GSA, and it is awesome, but I can't wait to get my lebben fiddy back on the road. :clap
    [​IMG]

All the best,
    Chris
  7. Visian

Visian Look out! Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my '00 1150 is going to be around with me for a while. i like the added heft of the bike on the highway, and i don't do super-challenging off-road with the bike... this is my LD touring bike.

the think just makes me happy, and i especially like that tall 6th gear.

i opted for an HP2 Enduro as my new bike, and have an 86 R80G/SPD+ too. it's a bad habit.

at 70k miles, i went through the 1150 because i decided to keep it at least another 70k miles or more.

spent too much, but don't like to worry about stuff when riding in remote places:

- rear main seal (saw the black seepage, probably didn't need)
    - new clutch friction disk (definitely did not need)
    - hydraulic clutch actuator (didn't need, but known to go south around 100k)
    - cam chain tensioner (needed)
    - stainless steel brake lines (definite improvement)
    - new front wheel bearings (probably needed)
    - major service (i usually do these myself)
    - new starter (i should have done the rebuild)
    - spare hall sensor (just in case)

after all was done, i took her home and the next trip was to be out west when... i saw a pool of purple lube on the rear wheel. crap!

well, at least the rear drive seal failed in the garage and not in nebraska.

i replaced the bearings, too.

8. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    I don't own a GS, I don't even know what I am doing over here. But recently, I too, have noticed the lack of 1150's on the road. I have to say, I miss the big grey aluminum Charley/Ewan bikes of a few years ago. I suppose its only natural though. The way I look at it, it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I've come to admire the guy who shows up to a bike rally, roadrace, or advrider event with a mileage worn R80GS or 1100. You know, the bikes that look like they've been to hell and back. Usually its owned by some guy who is sitting quietly in the corner minding his own business, probably downing some coffee and looking at a map. These are the people to talk to. If you are fortunate enough to strike up a conversation with him, he'll probably mention the quirks of his bike, the particularities of running a '82 frame with a '85 motor, and how "mileage" is relative to the most recent re-bore. These guys are the real deal. And now your 1150 is just a little closer to that status! Another 10 years and you'll have yourself a real bike of your own!

:clap
  9. moymurfs

moymurfs Truth has become unacceptable.

Oddometer:
    They can have their can-bus/ antenna ring stuff......no fear of me taking it from them.... Just returned from the twisties and mud in WVA........my 1150 rolls just fine..:clap
  10. machew01

machew01 well seasoned

Oddometer:
    I'm still making memories with my 2002 R1150GS, three days of them last weekend in the mountains of West Virginia.

mac
  11. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    My early 99 was one of he first few, its a keeper....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just cos I use it hard, take it bad places and then fix it doesn,t mean I respect it less than a polished showroom specimen, I know 20 different bikes better than it at much of the riding I do, and your point is....???

Oh yes, they scrub up well :D
  12. GratefulDean

GratefulDean The New Number Two

Oddometer:
    1200 riders are poseurs until the 1250 comes out :thumb.
  13. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    2001 R1150GS with 96000 miles.
    Still lovin' it.
  14. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Poseurs? Ha! Those are your words not mine! I don't think they're poseurs, but the older bikes are definitely "extra special". :D Big respect for keeping them on the road w/ 6 digit odometers!

15. Knobbie

Knobbie Ex Teams

Oddometer:
    Just rolled up 58K on my '04. I would do more miles but this work thing gets in the way. No problems at all. I guess I could afford a new 12 but I just got back from an offroad trip to Death Valley. On the first day I ended up on a very narrow single track with these bushes growing over the trail. The limbs were slapping everything up front, but we had to keep up speed in the soft gravel. If I'd had a new $25,000 1200GSA I'd have been sick thinking of the potential scratches. As it was, the Terranova and PIAA's kept the tank lobes from getting any lasting damage.

On the 2nd day I found myself heading up a rutted trail above a dry lakebed. Balanced between two ruts, I didn't have to obsess over potentially dropping it. Allowed me to concentrate on the trail rather than scratching the crashbars. Again, no problems and no worries.

A friend has one with 400,000 miles. I think I'll keep mine too.
  16. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    With only 3500 miles or so on my 05' I will have this bike for a long time yet.
    But then I decided on the 05' after dealing on an 08' 1200.
    I just liked the 1150 better.
    [​IMG]
  17. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    You know its kind of funny but when the 1150 came out I really did not care for it (or should I say I was not ready for it?).

Now after owning an 05 1200 and a 07 1200 I have to say that the 1150's have really grown on me. I love riding them and love working on them even more.

I love the way you can really get them running super smooth with a careful valve adjustment and idle sync. I have never been able to get a 1200 engine run as smooth as I can dial in the 1150's.:1drink
  18. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

I have an '06 1150 GSA (that white one :D :clap ) with 67K miles and so far ZERO issues. I am prepping for an eventual FD breakdown by getting the spare parts next week. (Maybe I won't need them t'ill 100K :evil )
    I have ridden the 1200GSA but I have no desire for it, as IMHO the 1150 is still better looking.
    Sure 100 Lbs less weight would be nice, but I knew that before I got it. I rode to Prudhoe and did the eastern TAT part and it did great for a big bike. It can be a handfull in soft stuff but it was never designed as a true offroad machine in the first place.
    Most of the GS's rarely see dirt (just like SUV's) anyway and those who do take it in the 'rough' stuff, quickly learn it's and their own limitations...:evil
    This summer, I plan on finishing the TAT and ride part of the CDT.

Happy ridin' :ricky
  19. SaltWindandFire

SaltWindandFire Binary System Sucker

Oddometer:
    Here is my 01 in Big Bend in March. I liked it so much I bought another one.:lol3

(This one is for sale in the FM :deal )

[​IMG]
  20. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    The 1150 GS was voted Sport Touring Bike of the Year by a motorcycle mag in 2000. They liked the handling, engine and comfort.

Given the option, I would turn down a new GS. I am comfortable with the non-CANbus and lack of technical gizmos. It never fails and I have spent 0 $s on repairs.