Wife wiped out right infront of me.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Hookapelli, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took a ride up to Mt. Lemmon this weekend before it gets icy. Two of my sport bike buddies and I ride up to The Saw Mill for brunch every couple of weeks. I love that ride because the 'Busa just eats the corners up. This weekend the children were hanging with friends so the wife decided to join in. She's got about 5k miles under her belt over the last 4 years- so she can hold her own but she's not a pro. She has a Ninja 650R with about 1100 miles on it. I just told my buddies we'd hang back and meet them at the top because I didn't want to push her out of her comfort zone and we generally fly up the hill.

I let her take our lead and made sure to let her know we were in NO rush. A bout 3 miles from the top she comes out of a right bend and leans into a left sweeper going about 35-40. The turn was shadowed by the mountain and there were t-barriers to prevent rock from rolling into the road.

Next thing I know, she's heading right for the t-wall and low siding on the right.. :huh The last thing I saw (because I was in the turn at that point and couldn't swing my head to the right to look) was her head hit the wall and her left leg was under the bike. I couldn't get off the 'Busa fast enough. We have Cardo headsets- so as I was running back to her, she kept saying, "I'm okay, I'm okay." She banged up her left knee and scratched the shit out of an $800 Shoei... but she didn't break anything. Had she been wearing her riding pants instead of jeans- she probably wouldn't have banged up her knee.

I was able to pack up all the carnage and duct tape / zip tie the faring to a point of ride able. The low beam light was gone and the instrument panel was dead. The after market hand guard saved the break lever. I didn't have my pillion- so I made her get back on and finish the ride to the top. I figured if I had to leave it somewhere, the dinner would be the best place. She was like, "You expect me to get back on and ride?" I firmly said, "Yes. We'll go slow- and I'll talk to you the whole way."

We made it to The Saw Mill Dinner where my buddies were just getting ready to gear up and come down looking for us. After lunch, we secured any lose pieces with more tape and zip ties and I gave her the option of hanging out until I get back with a trailer or riding it home. I made sure she knew it was only a bike and I could care less about the damage, as long as she was okay.

She rode it home :clap. I had to talk her through some of the corners because she was freaking out- but I explained that she'd been doing this for four years without incident and to remember everything she learned from the classes I made her take when she decided to start riding. It took FOREVER, but we made it home in time to dump it off at the dealer for an estimate.

After reviewing the GoPro- I discovered she attempted to slow down as she entered the curve (which was wet) momentarily locked up the rear break and instead of counter steering and using throttle control- she ignored all the training and went right to Survival Reaction 2-5 :ddog

Trying not to be a dick (and that's hard for me), we went through the video frame-by-frame and went over everything she did wrong (to include removing her feet from the pegs :baldy). This was an attempt to show her that she COULD have recovered and hopefully (unless she decides to sell the bike) she'll be able to react better if it happens again.

She's not sure what to do, but it's her option. Personally, after watching her reaction and how she handled the moment- I would feel better if she never rode solo again. I know laying a bike down is inevitable- hell- I've done it 6 or eight times. But watching the most important person in the world to you go down in front of you is the worst feeling ever.

P.S. Always carry a small roll duct tape and tip ties... best after action tools available.
  2. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Wow tough job.

I watched a young friend go in the ditch, back out, then over the handle bars.

You really do have to keep your head in the game.
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    locking a rear brake on a curve usually results in a highside, so I'd say your wife was lucky.

5,000 miles over four years isn't much riding. If she decides to get back on, and hopefully she'll do more riding to keep her skills sharp.
  4. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scratching the shit out of an $800 helmet is the best money she ever spent. Glad she's ok. Hope she gets back on that horse and rides again.
  5. Hookapelli

Oddometer:
    Yea- as it was unfolding I just about shit my pants cuz all I could envision was her going over the bars. She was owning the corners up to then and I was hanging back because I didn't want her to feel rushed. I stressed the "We're not in a rush" and "stay in your zone"... I think the mix of chilly, wet road, tar snakes, and shadow fucked with her head.

Not sure if I should claim the insurance- probably $1200 in damage (I could give a shit about the repairs, I'm just glad she's okay).
  6. Hookapelli

Oddometer:
    I am a firm believer in a good helmet and ATGATT. Can't replace the noggin. Normally we wear pants and jacket- but she wanted to wear jeans. I told her at lunch that if she had the pants on- her knee wouldn't hurt.

I'm going to bring her to the track to work on those cornering skillz as soon as the bike is put back together.
  7. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add $800 to the estimate to cover a new Shoei. You don't want her putting a crashed helmet back on.
  8. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not if you keep it locked........It becomes a highside when you realize you screwed up, and release the brake, allowing the rear tire to gain traction, throwing the bike over the top. Once you lock the rear, you should really consider what is going to happen when you release it. Just sayin.

Glad the OP's wife didn't fare worse. I had my wife disappear as we came to a stop sign on a hill. Somehow, she forgot to put her foot down, and she and the bike went over the curb, head first down the ditch. Amazing how heavy a KLR 250 is when it is upside down in the bottom of a ditch.
  9. Hookapelli

Oddometer:
    My 'Busa insurance is already like $110 a month (44 with no tickets/accidents)... not sure I'm going to make the claim since all the bikes are on the same policy. I'd hate for this incident to reflect the 'Busa premium.

'Busa- $110
    GSA- $47
    Ninja- $62

Geico

:dunno
  10. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your insurance is kind of high, but what's the point of having it if you ain't gona use it? Drop the collision coverage save the money. And maybe lose the ”I know laying a bike down is inevitable- hell- I've done it 6 or eight times” attitude too.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Glad she ok. My wife rides with me a lot. She’s been riding for 35 years and about 10000 miles a year, and I’m never as comfortable when she’s riding with us, always concerned for her. So if your wife keeps riding, and I hope she does, you may never get comfortable with it. G'luck.<o:p></o:p>
  11. Wired

Wired Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So... can we see this video? Maybe we could all learn from it?
  12. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't want my wife to ride solo and neither does she......she loves riding behind me on my busa ( :wink: ) and the only reason she'd ever consider riding solo is because I wanted her to.
    I think alot of wives ride solo because their husbands push them to...or they're trying to spend time with their husbands by taking up the hobby. Honestly I think its a rare lady that truly wants to ride solo herself....I just don't think its something that thrills most ladies.

Let her sell the bike and just be a passenger......you'd be amazed how nice it can be sometimes having your wife holding onto you as you're cruising through beautiful vista's. I enjoy my high speed solo riding (what busa owner doesn't :evil ) but I also enjoy riding with the wife.
    And btw I've had her up to 165mph gps on a nice desert road and she loved it......so you don't ALWAYS have to go slow with the wifey :D
  13. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    Could have been worse.
    Last Sunday my wife went down right in front of me, I ran over her arm and broke it:eek1
    She goes in for surgery tomorrow to bolt things back together.
  14. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try State Farm, they were by far the cheapest I could find, and pretty much everybody on hayabusa.org uses them. I'm 49, no tickets/accidents, and I'm paying 182 every 6 months for my busa full coverage, I believe 184-186 if I remember right for my turbo zx14 every 6 months full coverage, and 62 bucks every 6 months for my xr650l comprehensive only, no collision.
  15. Hookapelli

Oddometer:
    She rode back seat for the first 4 years of our relationship. One day she up and decided to take the basic course on base and bought a bike... I was supportive- and she does like to ride ride. Up to this point, there hasn't been even a close call. She rides to work at least twice a week and we do weekend rides to Bisbee and Nogalas. She went from a Yamaha 250, to a Star 650, to the Ninja 650R. We had it lowered 1.5 inches for her to touch.

I like her on the pillion- but she has a bit of an independent streak.

I expect her to be back in the saddle soon.
  16. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    That 900 for a helmet is less than one head CT.

Money well spent.
  17. Hookapelli

Oddometer:
    Dirt or street?
  18. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    We were dirt riding. I was riding behind her on the inside of a left turn waiting to pass her on the straight. She lost the rear end and WHAM went down. I swerved, but still ended up running over her arm. Broke the Humerus in two spots. Luckily we had a guy with a splint kit along. After putting on the splint we had a long 8 mile ride to the ER.
  19. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Glad she wasn't hurt bad and things are good. My wife rides as well and when she was learning and dropped my bike in a parking lot my respond was the same as yours, its only a bike. I only hope I never have to experience watching her drop her bike on the street... (Had her go down off-road in front of me twice, but always keep a safe following distance so was easy for me to stop and help her up. [no major injuries as of yet])

I have known a few that do it because they want time with there husbands and wouldn't ride solo otherwise. I find it interesting that most of the gals I know that ride do it because they want to though. My wife being one of them. Not discounting your statement that most do it because of time with the husbands or are pushed into it, I wouldn't doubt it at all as most of my life hasn't fit the norm...

The funny part is that she wanted to ride so she took the course and we got her a bike. But after 6 years of riding and maybe 15000 miles she told me she wanted to try riding dual sports. We got her a little CRF230L and went on a group ride, she was hooked! We are selling her street bike and all she wants to do now is play in the back woods and take adv rides with me and the kid on my bike. (10 year old daughter)

Some times life is strage the way it works out...
  20. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm so glad she's OK! Hope she is out there again soon!