KTM Duke 620 starting Q

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by 2wheelsrbest, May 1, 2011.

1. 2wheelsrbest

2wheelsrbest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Helping a friend get his 1997 Duke running good again. PO had swapped the original (Edelbrock?!?!) carb for a Keihin flatslide that, when running, appears to be very well jetted for the bike. My questions is...

Since this flatslide carb has no choke/enrichener, what is the best start up procedure?

Currently, I can push e-start and it will not fire. I've been shooting starting fluid into airbox and friend says he can get it to go by removing seat and using his hand as a choke over airbox inlet. Neither of these are ideal starting procedures for a city bike. Just wondering if there is some special cold start up protocol for bikes running such a carb OR if that indicates that carb does need some different jetting? When it fires, it settles into nice idle immediately. Bike runs fantastic and starts warm fine.
  2. rz35027

rz35027 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No choke at all?

The accelerator pump should be squirting fuel down the intake tract if you give the throttle a twist...
  3. 2wheelsrbest

2wheelsrbest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct--no choke (unless I am TOTALLY missing it). No cable, no lever, nothing looking like it is missing a lever, no button, nada.

http://www.sudco.com/fcrside_diagram.html

I did some other searching and found 2 suggestions that seem to help.

1) Twist throttle a couple times so pump can squirt some extra gas in

2) Turn up the idle screw

Collectively, those seem to do the trick. Just wanted to know if there was a proper procedure (though 1+2 may be it).