R1100GS, why so few for sale

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Hodag, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Been there and done that. But I'm becoming practical in my old age ! So what I did was find a mint Suzuki DR 350 and that is my off road bike . 300 lbs, wet, is breeze to push around ! GS is for touring and gravel rides.
    a1fa likes this.
  2. RRP13

RRP13 Kinda superbikey

Oddometer:
    Honestly, (being my first boxer) when I got home and got it off the trailer I took it for a quick blast and had serious buyers remorse. It was so ...weird. The shaft drive, the way the opposed twin lays down power, etc. Since then I have chalked it up to being punchy that afternoon after having the long boring drive home.

Also, having only ridden on the race track the previous 9 years didn't help the transition either. But in the months since I got it, I have learned and continue to appreciate the GS for what it is. The more I ride it the more I like it. I have even looked for an oilhead boxer to possibly road race in the future.

(And Mike took unbelievably good care of this particular GS. Anyone that looked at it when it was for sale missed out bigtime:D )
  3. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 1998 1100GS. I bought it in 2010 with 38k miles on it. I've put another 38k on it since then. I've added new stainless brake lines, Yacugar shocks, new windscreen, modded the Russel seat that came on it, and added aluminum panniers. Plus some other little stuff. I love this bike. I'll probably never sell it. I think that if another bike comes along, I'll just keep this one and put a chair on it.

I'll also echo what RRP said above. I came to the 1100GS from a 1200 Bandit. It felt weird at first. Now its all good.
  4. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb

Once they get in your blood ..........
  5. Radar41

Radar41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have one, LOVE it!!

Rode the newer GS's - More power? Yes! Smoother? Yes!

However, for me, they just don't feel right - "OLD" 98 does the job nicely!

OzRider64 likes this.
  6. SylvainB

SylvainB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Verchères, QC, Can. Land of the looooooong winter
    After reading all your posts, I feel I made a real good deal. I bought my 40000 miles 97gs1100 for 4000.00. I farkled the bike all winter, hard parts, hes, SS brake lines, new Stadium schock, hid headlight and more. It felt cool to ride this bike last fall before winterizing it. I just can't wait much longer for the freezing temp to go away, we are living one of the coldest one and longest than usual. I'll share the riding with the k16gt but everytime I ride the gs I feel 20 years younger. :-). The look tends to get better and better :rofl

I guess the reliability question will be set in a few thousands of miles, let say pass the 150,000 miles mark.
  7. Chay

Chay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Because the trade in value is a kick in the nuts! Took my 95 r1100gs with 42k, SS lines front and back, full system cases, sargeant seat, givi windshield, with the clymer manual and maintenance records and he told me he could nock off 2500 off the 08 'strom that he wants 5k for. :huh

Just going to keep this thing till the wheels fall off and then sell the parts. :clap
    pops likes this.
  8. Wotan

Wotan Wotan

Oddometer:
    Well it's now 2016 & that 2000 1150 GS thing I'm sitting on has done 223 550 km (140 000 miles) in Southern Africa & I'm gearing up for another trip. Bought it used, ages ago for $3 800 no ABS electronics etc.
    First clutch at 215 000, coming up for third set of brake pads. It's a machine & if treated with respect will give few hassles. I did envy the 1100 five speed gearbox ratios, much desired for slinking around the dirt, but what the heck, just learn to ride accordingly. Sadly, one day, it will have to be mothballed as I'm going to have to go lighter, it's a bit heavy for our 70's age group.
    :muutt
  9. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1100's are just the best...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    JStory likes this.
  10. sullysgarage

sullysgarage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had both an 1100 and an 1150. I am currently on my second 1150. I was in the market for a bike a few months ago and I seriously looked at a couple of 1200's but I like the simplicity of the older bikes. Straight forward, not a lot of computer widgets. It's kind of like an old VW bug. I can do all the work and I don't need to have a computer diagnostic computer to get it working. Kind of how I feel about cars too.
    John C and sdpc2 like this.
  11. Partagas

Partagas EarthFirst

Oddometer:

I would second the easier to work on concept. Having just done a bunch of work on my 1995. While not nearly as easy to work on as my old 1973 /5 airhead (the oilheads are a lot more finicky to do valve and TB adjustments) you can at least do your own work without a computer. For me who does not know his way around all of the newfangled gadgetry, the 1100 is in my comfort zone.
  12. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having both a '96 1100 and a '09 1200 I can say that they are both fantastic bikes. The 1100 is a tractor and works like one. The 1200 is more refined and nimble, but they both still make for great riding no matter where I go. I can safely say that I would take either one coast to coast or Alaska to South America.

I am really up in the air on whether one is really easier to work on than the other. I probably know the 1100 a bit better, but the 1200 is just not that hard either.

Can't say enough about these bikes. Have had plenty of other brands and they are all gone (even my beloved Triumphs!).
    CoatsEast likes this.
  13. Stonkers

Stonkers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I have an unusual opportunity to purchase an almost museum quality, ultra-low mileage 1100GS ABS. It has new fluids, tires, and battery. It even has side cases and the BMW top box. Perfect. Not a scratch. BUT, barely ridden. What should I be looking for? I can easily feel all the rubber parts, that I can get at, but what about internal seals, etc. Asking price is about double what you would pay for a 60 - 70k mile bike. Used to own a '04 RT, and miss it. Thoughts?
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Apart from the obvious visual stuff, check for free play in the rear wheel and final drive pivots. You probably won't find any with very low mileage but you never know.

Fuel pump should prime when you turn the ignition on but be a barely audible whine when the engine is running. Any major clatter from the engine should quite down after a few seconds. Louder noise once it is warmed up is probably ok (they all do that!) but if REALLY loud, there could be a problem.

Turn bars lock-to-lock with engine running to check for broken wires in the bundle by the steering head. Smoke or engine killing is a bad sign ;)

If it's a 96 or older, I would suggest riding it, getting it nice and hot, then doing a couple of full throttle runs from low to high rpm in second and third gear. If it "skips" (you'll know what I mean if it does it) then it has a transmission problem. For all years, try full throttle at about 4000 rpm in fifth gear, if the revs rise without significant increase in speed, the clutch is slipping, probably due to a seal leak.

The brake hoses will need replacing, even if they seem perfect externally. If it has ABS, you should hear a double clunk-whizz noise as you pull away. If it doesn't do that or the ABS lights come no, then there is an ABS problem.

I think that's it for the major stuff. Bear in mind that the bike will not remain pristine or museum quality for long if you are riding it much so don't pay much more than for a "nicely broken in" example. (60-70K on an otherwise well-cared-for bike is nicely broken in)
  15. Stonkers

Stonkers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Slartidbartfast, thanks for your thorough reply. This one has a claimed 694 miles. I'll be looking at it this afternoon. If true, I am thinking wear should be limited. Good point on the brake lines. I have noticed the common suggestion to replace the lines to stainless. The clutch seal was on my list already. I will do the suggested on test, if allowed. Thanks again. I'll let you know what I find.
  16. robertrancho

robertrancho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I thought mine was low mileage! 2005 R1200GS had 1700 miles when I bought it in February 2014. 34,000 now, still perfect.
  17. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, I wouldn't do it. Just because some nut bought a bike and put it in his house for 20 years doesn't make it more valuable. In fact, there are a ton of smallish-but-moderately-expensive things just waiting to fail on a bike like that. Like what? Like everything made of rubber. Simple things like brake lines and fork seals. Expensive things like the rear main engine seal, which oils the clutch and costs you $1500 to have fixed. And on and on.

If you can get it for a few grand, go for it. But I would sure as hell not pay extra for a "museum quality" bike.
    otto likes this.
  18. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    A reasonably clean bone-stock early 1100 with 70-100,000 miles can be found for under $2500. For a 97-99 model, with some farkles like lights, crash bars, upgraded seat and suspension, you are unlikely to have to pay much over $4000. A pristine example is a good place to start if you are going to take very good care of it. However, if you want to ride it, you will be replacing tires and brake hoses right away and probably buying farkles which will add to the cost. I don't think oilheads are old or rare enough to have much more value as a Sunday afternoon classic, so unless you are a collector who's going to store it in a barn for another 10 or 20 years, don't lose sight of the fact that it's still just a 20-year old bike.
  19. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. Nice catch. Bought my 2005 1200 with 52000 now have 82000 and going strong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  20. Stonkers

Stonkers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1853.JPG

It sure is a lovely GS. Owned since new. The owner is a real nice, just doesn't ride this one much. I understand all the hidden issues. What an unusual situation.
    jbuggyus likes this.