The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. SPX

SPX Long timer

Oddometer:

2012 & 2013 are the same bikes, other than the color.

If you shop for it, you'll find some good deals on leftover 2012's and 2013's. Before tax and license, you should be able to get a bike in the very low $11,000 range, or possibly high $10,000 range.

You'll love the bike. Report back once you have it in your garage!
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    As has been said they are identical mechanically, most people decide according to price and color.
  3. gmsnowball

gmsnowball Black Bear Pass

Oddometer:
    Oklahoma Some Where, just east of spoobooty
    Tried to get the recall before I went to Eureka Springs last week for the Hillbilly Dual Sport. Mad Max told me he couldn't make it happen and even he hadn't received his kit yet. Probably my luck the kits came in Wednesday or Thursday while I was on the back roads to Eureka.

You sure missed a great ride. About 80 crazy sons of bitches terrorizing the folks in Arkansas for 5 days.:freaky That damned Doc didn't bring his goats. He said the last time he brought the goats they didn't want to go back home with him.:rofl You would have had fun at the de noobing ceremony..:krusty

I'll bet Mad Max charged you MSRP plus 20%...:lol3
  4. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got nearly 17,000 miles out of the K60s, mostly slab and commuting. At the end they behaved like the squared off Army truck tires they looked like, but I probably could have gotten another 1,000. They are not sport tires because the rubber is a bit hard but our high miler in the Super T world insists on them.
  5. Buster452

Buster452 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plenty of threads on adv about the shinko 705 on big bikes.

Personally I had them on my vstrom and abused them and didn't like how they held up. I had two rears with tread separation I noticed when I changed them and one where a puncture kept splitting more open.

To be fair, I really abused them. I'd get lazy about airing back up after dirt and running the rear at 35 lbs fully loaded for "short" 50 mile stretches of Highway.

I do a lot of dirt and rocks in Arizona though so the combo of a k60 rear and tkc front has been best for me. Structurally they've stood up to my abuse, albeit I'll wear them out faster.

I don't even track mileage on tires anymore. I just use them up and enjoy them.
  6. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:

Bad luck on my sons VStrom too. We've agreed that we won't buy any more Shikos. Simple old Battlewings are more cost effective.

There've been more than one person who's had the tearing of the Shinko lugs and air loss. I think DCStrom was one.
  7. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:

Ah, a breath of tire fresh air. I declare your strategy as having a large "fun quotient". :)

Can you expound a bit on the TKC front? I think I'm doing that next. Gotta decide soon since the soft knobby I have up front now is openly stating it will do its job admirably, but with no intention of partnering with a second rear. :)
  8. ThorRex

ThorRex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changing tires today and realized my rear axle pinch bolt is missing….anybody know what size and length it is? I assume is either 10x 1.25 or 10x 1.50, whats the length also..thanks. If you could, please PM me so I don't have to hunt for a reply scrolling through many pages….
    shuby likes this.
  9. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fucking dammit! I just purchased a new headlight unit ($500!!!!) to replace the one the deer took last year. My fucking clumsy ass just dropped it and cracked the housing on the back. It didn't separate, just propagated from the bulb access a couple inches. I just want to kill something right now. FUCK!
  10. Buster452

Buster452 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you want to know?

They're knobbies, wear pattern goes all saw toothed , they grab dirt and sand and rocks. Stops the front end from washing out for the most part.

Some people reverse their rotation at some point to even out wear. Some say that is courting with extreme danger of everything disintegrating.
  11. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    True that, my local dealer told me it was on order about 5 weeks ago. I haven't heard word one from them about the part being in. That said, I haven't pushed them any because I have had other fish to fry besides playing with the motorcycle, unfortunately :cry

Looks like they'd turn loose of a couple wiring harnesses for Oklahoma, what there's like three of us out here with Teneres? :lol3
  12. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    Thanks Buster.

Guess I was really asking if you thought a TKC on front would last 2 knobbies on the back?

And since you were mismatching anyways, what helped you to decide on the TKC over others?

Was just doing some knobbytalk. :)
  13. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh I hate that.

You need to get some of this...

[​IMG]

Just short of amazing. I hit a cow on my Strom. Broke several tabs here and there on the instrument unit.
    I didn't want to replace the whole unit so I used this. It was like a plastic weld!
    Broke a flip up windshield mount on one of my jet boats. Used it again and haven't had a problem since.
    For the hard style plastics it's hard to beat.

Better luck butter fingers.:wink::D
  14. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Epoxy is your friend.
  15. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tire input, Gents. :beer

16. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    FWIW my broken frame/fairing mount is not the first in Oz. Plan is for repairs rather than a replacement frame.

17. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    After I cooled off and let all the four letter words out of my system, I went to the hardware store and picked up some epoxy.

It's been 24 hours and it's solid. Can barely tell that I'm a clumsy fool :baldy

Took the bike around the block. First time I sat in the seat since August of last year. Felt great but couldn't do too much since I don't have a radiator fan. If I stay moving, it's fine but city traffic is a surefire way to "roast my nuts".
  18. guzmann

guzmann Dealer's best friend...

Oddometer:
    Picked up my first batch of ST accessoires this afternoon.

[​IMG]
  19. kalho13

kalho13 I am who I am

Oddometer:
    Is the Dakar tank decal a Yamaha accessory?
  20. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: