990 Dakar 2011 or 2013 990 Baja edition?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by KFhunter, Feb 5, 2013.

1. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an 05 that I would have invited any dual sport to chase.Just saying.:eek1
  2. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny- I was about the say the opposite. In a respectful way, of course.

I prefer the Baja (at least the white) and would rather have the space than the ABS.
  3. Academy

Academy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just brought home a 2012 990 R over the 2011 Dakar sitting next to it in the showroom. I liked the taller suspension (i am 6'3") and the seat which is firmer and grippier. I liked the idea of no ABS thinking less things to go wrong.
    Funny thing is i originally went up to see the Dakar.
  4. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 950 out performs my Duc Multi 1200 to 100 mph (give or take). Both are are one tooth down on the countershaft. I would bet the 990 would be close to or better.

Don't believe the hype, unless you spend all you time at triple digits, the KTM is not lackluster.

( the Ducati is what drove me to KTM. I thought it would be awesome and its not half the sport bike my Honda was and anything dirt related is a joke on it. It's a smooth road touring bike with ok power. The KTM is a crazy big dirt bike that will out perform most squids on sport bikes on the twisties and still handle single track like a big thumper.)
  5. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said:eek1
    J-bird likes this.
  6. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Fear not, my buddy has a 1200 GS and I've stuck on his tail up to about 115 (on a closed course of course) and he couldn't drop me. So maybe the 990 doesn't pull quite as hard of the line, but that means nothing in the real world. And in the dirt it's not even going to be close - the 990 is a big dirt bike in sheep's clothing.

KFhunter, do yourself a favor and score a test ride...
  7. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    I am a GS rider and let me tell you that the GS is a very good street bike that will go off road. The 990 is a very good "big" dirt bike that goes on the tarmac to your favorite off road trail. :lol3 I'm waiting for the 1190 R to come to the US to replace my GS Adventure. While my GS has been faithful, as I age it seems to be getting heavier off road:eek1, so come on KTM and import the 1190 R. :evil
  8. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can afford it, just wanted to know the damn price.
  9. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm I guess if you ride on the street only then someone with an inseam at 32" or less will be happy with the taller R. I'm 6ft 2" 180 LBS with a 32" inseam and had to go with the shorter bike. I'm on my tip toes when stopped at a stop light (Sidi Adventure Boots) and since I ride alone, offroad where the the surface is uneven the thought of riding down a two track just to run into a narrow section with barbed wire on either side and a locked gate with tall grass just didn't sound like fun to me.

I've not rode anywhere that the taller suspension was needed but a revalve sure is.
  10. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MSRP is 14,899 for whatever that is worth. Supposedly that is what I will pay when mine arrives, plus freight and setup, .... you know the drill.
  11. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:

I'll just leave this here... :evil

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/umHWLA8X2ik" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ak6-l4QON0I" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

No Multistrada. But then the Ducati doesn't have any real pretensions of being an off-road bike. Every bike mentioned is an outstanding machine - it just depends what you want from yours.

My story; went for a solid, well-used and maintained 2010 ADV, which I got for a song. Specced it up to 'R' height and horsepower, then put the rest of the cash I saved towards pretty much every 'essential' mod going. The bike runs like a dream, is ready for anything and worked out much more cost-effective than buying either stock bike new. And - assuming no nasty, high mileage engine issues arise unexpectedly - it always will be.

Worked for me so far. :1drink
  12. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'8" with a 40" inseam, that's why I am waiting for the 1190 Adventure R to come to the U.S. :lol3
  13. Weldit

Weldit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'8" tall and 38" leg - I went for the Dakar/ lower height and am glad I did
    the bike is tall enough now and yes you are fine when moving
    but you feel the weight when man handling the bike if stopped !

While I love the offroadness of the bike it will never be a trail bike for me - have a 530 for that

now the ABS is another thing all together - totally useless on the rear wheel
    the front might be good someday ? in a panic stop ?
  14. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a standard brake line for the rear of mine with the theory that if I remove the ABS lines from there and just fill the pump and install some bolts the front will work with no fault light and then the rear will be lockable. At the worst I might have to install a line between the two ports which wouldn't be a big deal but no line would be better.

I'll let you know.
  15. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    Never swung a leg over the Dakar but I have the 990 Adventure. The seat was very narrow on the 990 bike, the 1190 is said to be just a little wider, not much but I think it will help. I've heard that if you put the tall seat on the new 1190 it makes all the difference. So I'm going to wait for the 1190 Adventure R then make up my mind. Plus the allure of 150 hp on tap......:tb
  16. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new one
    [​IMG]
    manybike likes this.
  17. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Test rides are not easy to come by where I live !
    Hell I had to drive across the state to a stealership to do the deal on my 990 .
    I have opened her up on the slab " Very impressed :D " !

Can't wait to ride with a couple people that I rode with last season before I pulled the trigger on her :lol3 .
    Also can't wait to get her armored up so I can take her in the dirt !!!!!!!!

I am a very happy buyer Just hope I can keep the lid on her in town . :eek1