the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. Lacking1

Lacking1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank Klay!
    OK, here's some pics! As follows:
    The aftermarket exhaust that came on the bike. It sounds like mine must roar, compared to most of the others, no wonder I was just about deaf after my trip, lol!
    The spacers that I put in place to raise my windshield, for more protection.
    A few pics of the bike on the trip at the rest stop and in front of the Marina.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dmurph944 likes this.
  2. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man! It's in beautiful shape!
  3. Lacking1

Lacking1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip!
    Ok, I took the carb apart and cleaned it out real good. There was all kinds of purplish sediment in it!
    Put it all back together, and was still hard to start. Once it was started, ran rough still. Took it apart again, changed the pilot jet, but it was too big, so put the old one back in. Still ran rough. During all this, I changed the plug out too. I finally started spraying carb cleaner around the boots of the carb, nothing from the airbox, but as soon as she got a whiff of the cleaner on the intake going into the head, she revved up. Took the carb off again, pulled the intake, and there was no O-ring between it and the head. It looked like the previous owner used some kind of gasket sealer/dressing to create a seal. So, I cleaned it up, and ordered a new O-ring. Looks like my little excursion burnt out the temporary seal, but all the heat during the trip kept everything nice and tight, until I parked it when I got home, and then tried starting it two days later…
  4. Lacking1

Lacking1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the cam on Friday! But, I'm still waiting on the new intake 0-ring to come in. (It was ordered Friday too.) I'm going to install the new O-ring, and see how she runs before I put the cam in it. If everything is good, I'll drop the cam in next! I will keep y'all posted! :thumb
  5. Lacking1

Lacking1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man!
    I'll have to keep my eyes out for a gas tank. As you can see from the pics there's a slight dent in the right side, but other than that, you can't tell she's a 23 year old bike. Like I said before, the guy I bought it from, his brother bought it new while in the army. His brother got a hold of it, and looks like he took good care of it from there...
  6. andrewbsheets

andrewbsheets floridaredneck

Oddometer:
    but i want 2 get the 105 miles 2 the gallon the new 1 gets,ho do i get it there?
  7. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I typically get sixty or seventy miles to the gallon in mixed riding, actually. A steady forty miles per hour might get you a hundred miles to the gallon.
  8. andrewbsheets

andrewbsheets floridaredneck

Oddometer:
    driving at 55 to 60mph[​IMG]
  9. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not on here too often, but its good to see that you picked up a cam for that bike. Those are good numbers. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
    If you're still on the stock carb, you'll want to fix that soon after :evil
  10. Nessman

Nessman Ебать Путина

Oddometer:
    First week of putting report:

When I got the bike (Y2K DR200SE) it had a nasty leak from the valve cover area. The PO didn't have tools or garage space to work on it and had just been laid off so he just wanted it gone.
    I dug into it last weekend expecting to find something cracked, stripped or worse only to find a loose valve cover bolt. Tightened it up and the leak went away, easy fixes are the best fixes!
    It's a perfect commuter bike for me, it'll putt around happily at 40mph all day and get up to 55mph (indicated) if traffic is really moving. All with my 6' 220lb load on it.

The kids love it as well, they know they get to ride it when they get bigger :clap

[​IMG]
  11. HeReTiK

HeReTiK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sadly, I have no money so buying a new bike is not even a possibility. ;) lol

Actually, I've put a fair amount of money into this bike. I intend to hold onto it for quite a long time. :)
  12. Lacking1

Lacking1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Zomby,
    The O-ring still hasn't come in yet, I'm expecting it today or tomorrow?

My carb is the BST31SS, (CV.) When I took it apart to clean it, it had the following jets in it: Main: 150, Pilot: 40, and Pilot Air: 150. The shop manual
    says that stock is: Main: 122.5, Pilot: 40, and Pilot Air: 150. So the previous owner only bumped up the "Main Jet," to help with the bigger muffler. I thought that was quite a big jump, but the thing doesn't stumble at all during full throttle. I've been using this site to help me tune things:
    http://www.jetsrus.com/main_page.htm
    My Pilot screw is exactly 2 1/2 turns out right now, so I'll probably have to pick up another pilot jet, (one size bigger, a 42.5.) The guy at the shop gave me a 45, but it wouldn't start with that in it. I'll run it with the CV right now, and see how things work out? Then, I might step it up to the pumper carb that came on the DR version of my bike that same year? I think Flynn has already done this with some really positive results!
  13. rocku

rocku Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and girls!! Just uploaded some pics to share with you all, these are in Michigan, little town called Smyrna, Fallsburg park. Just turned 1400 miles on my 2001. Just getting broke in!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SoloADV and Dmurph944 like this.
  14. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's gorgeous!
  15. wdw

wdw Low & Slow

Oddometer:
    Nice pics.
  16. Lacking1

Lacking1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    Ok, here&#8217;s the latest on my SP200. Got the O-ring for the intake the other day, but it didn&#8217;t fit! Fortunately, there is an O-ring manufacturer in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>North Seattle</st1:place> that was able to help me out, really cool guys, only sell in bulk, but did me a favor anyways. Got it sealed up and put back together, ran good. Decided to go ahead and install the cam. Got it all apart, dropped the cam in, but when I was reassembling everything, dove into my box of NOS parts, and was missing a couple of gaskets that go on top of the valve cover bolts, and the gasket for the timing chain tensioner. Arrggg! Went back down to Renton Motorcycle, it turned out they hadn&#8217;t put these parts in the box I picked up two days before, but had them in a paper sack in the back. Cool! Went back home started to finish the project, turned out to be the wrong gasket for the tensioner. Center hole fit, but the bolt holes on the ears were too wide. Cut new hole, installed with sealer, it worked. Had too crash, it was getting late.
    Sunday afternoon, set the valve lash, got ready to fire it up. Half a dozen kicks and she fired up, even louder than she was before! Kept the idle turned up, so she wouldn&#8217;t fall below 3,000 rpm during the break in, and took off. Rode around, easy, for about a half and hour, then pulled over and reset the idle. Nice sound, more distinct, and had to idle a bit higher than before. Cracked it, she&#8217;s definitely more responsive/accelerates faster. Took her down the freeway on-ramp and got on it. Much better acceleration! Better roll-on power too! Took her up to about 70 mph in 4<SUP>th</SUP> gear! But, when I shifted into 5<SUP>th</SUP>, she dropped a little and then slowly started edging her way up towards 75 mph. Things were getting a bit shaky, so I let off. My gear set is 15/39, so you can&#8217;t get much higher. I have some jets ordered, and I know for a fact it needs a bigger pilot jet, (popping on deceleration.) So, I have some fine tuning to do, but I&#8217;ll have to wait until my new jets get in.
    Rode home, pulled up to the patio, and let her idle there for a few minutes. Sounds really aggressive with my Jardine exhaust, and revs really fast too. I like it!
    Anybody got any suggestions for muffler repacking? I&#8217;ve never done it before, doesn&#8217;t look too hard, but are some materials better than others? I could just order the Jardine replacement, but if there are some materials that work better, I&#8217;d love to know? Sounds cool, but I could never travel any long distances on it, the way it is. I think I toasted the packing that is in it now, on the 550+ mile day trip I did a few weeks back.
    Thanks for doing the research Zomby, you know what you&#8217;re talking about! I like working on these singles, much better than working on cars. I&#8217;ll try to post after I get my new jets put in! Oh, gotta change the oil tomorrow and check the valve clearance again too! Hope this helps you guys that were thinking about dropping in a different cam. Mine is the Megacycle 393-00, for the SUZUKI 230 QUADSPORT (1985&#8212;1994) and LT-250 (1988&#8212;1990)
  17. X-Wing

X-Wing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Lacking1,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Where does the SP 200 fit in? Is it the beginnings of the DR200 we all know on this thread, seems to be dating from around 1987/88 and looks like a DR? If so what are the major differences. Is the engine as strong as that of the DR?
    <o:p></o:p>
    Also noticed you are running a 15/39 final drive, is that with 428 chain or a 520 and is the transmission gearing much different to that of DR enabling you to run this final drive. (Unless you are very light I don’t think a DR will pull that ratio?)
    Johan<o:p></o:p>
  18. Lacking1

Lacking1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi X-Wing,
    From my research, here in the US, Suzuki built the SP100/125/200/370/400/500/600 to be a more street friendly version of the DR. Mine is a 1986, and it is identical to the DR200 that year, except it has a CV carb, instead of the pumper. The early DR's came with the pumper/slide carbs for better responsiveness, especially down low, where you need it for off-road bikes. But, like I said, other than that, they are identical. 1986-1988 models are the same bike. The later DR200SE's adopted the CV carb from the SP models.
    A couple came out of the cycle shop the other day, when I was picking up the parts the store forgot to put in my box, and they started inquiring about the bike too. They said that mine looks like it's built more like an off-road bike, compared the modern DR200SE? All that I know, is that according to the online microfiche, most of the parts are interchangable. But, that's one of the reasons I've been coming here too, to see what things I can use for my bike, like the cyclerack, etc.
    My chain is a 520. It looks like the 1987 sales brochure found online might be a misprint, because the 1988, right below it says 520, for the SP200 also. http://www.suzukicycles.org/SP-series/SP200_brochures.shtml
    My 1986 shop manual also says the correct chain is the 520.
    Here's the stock gear ratios from the manual:
    Low: 3.000 (33/11)
    2nd: 1.933 (29/15)
    3rd: 1.438 (23/16)
    4th: 1.095 (23//21)
    Top: .0913 (21/23)
    Primary reduction: 3.157 (60/19)
    Final reduction: 3.000 (45/15)
    Drive chain: TAKASAGO RK520MO-Z2 OR DAIDO D.I.D. 520CV-6, 112 links
    You're right, I'm pretty light, about 160 lbs. And that's why when I shifted into 5th gear, the acceleration dropped off, and then slowly started picking up again. If the bigger jets don't help, (or upgrading to a pumper carb,) my best bet will be to drop the gear ratio to make the most of things. Anyways, this motor produces enough grunt to pull the bike along between 60-65 mph in 5th all day long, which is nice when traveling distance, because it keeps the rpm's down. I hope this helps.
  19. X-Wing

X-Wing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Lacking1, checked my DR’s manual just now and the gearing except for the stock standard final drive (12/47) on the farm bike (Trojan) version, the gearing is exactly the same. I’ve change the final however already to 15/45 and with me plus camping kit on the bike (110kg/242lbs total) I can cruise on most open roads with moderate hills in 5<SUP>th</SUP> and have to change to 4<SUP>th</SUP> only on the more steeper hills.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The DR is now my girlfriend’s ride, much lighter so I would like to change to 15/42 to keep the RPM down for long distance rides and to be better matched with the TTR 250 for cruising speed but a 42 seems impossible to find here in SA. Next option would be 14/39 which is just about the same ratio. Wonder if anyone has tried this combination and whether the standard 112 link chain would not be too long? <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    From a previous discussion ... I’ve checked out the Top Gun tach for the DR650. They have sent me the measurements for the mounting plate, 99mm from the centre of the mounting screws for the handle bars so it seems an exact fit for the DR200 – great. One concern though, the tach uses its own battery that they recon would last at least 5 years. I found another tach looking the same as the Top Gun one but the supplier mentioned the battery is not replaceable, the unit is sealed (potted) suggesting one would have to throw the unit away once the battery is flat .... is this assumption correct and is it the case with the Top Gun unit? (Could ask the supplier but I thought I mention/ask it here also.)<o:p></o:p>
  20. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are correct. The Top Gun unit is a Tiny Tach on their bracket. I bought one for my DR650 and it works fine. I would recommend that you get the one that updates every 0.5 seconds rather than the one that updates every 2.5 seconds. I got the slow one by mistake and it lags pretty bad. If you buy direct from tiny tach the slow one was a bit less than top gun, while the fast one was considerably more from tiny tach.