LA to Alaska - Route tips

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Matt8823, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Matt8823

Matt8823 n00b

Oddometer:
    3 Brits, 2 based in LA, looking for tips on routes from LA to Alaska involving as much off-road trails as possible. We're due to set out 23rd May and need to finish 19th June, so time is tight.

Current route is to head to Albuquerque and join the shadow of the Rockies trail but that only takes us as far the Wyoming border. Looking for ideas to head north other than just use the interstate. Otherwise, any recommendations for trails to check out when we're further north?

Can anyone help?

Cheers
    Matt
  2. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is probably a little different than you were thinking, but
    have you thought of taking the Alaskan Marine hi-way Ferry?

From Alaska you can pick it up in Skagway or Haines and depart
    in Bellingham, WA. It's 3 to 4 day trip and all offroad. Very worthwhile.

We did from Bellingham to Haines a few years ago. Left from the S.F. bay Area.
    Lots of great stops along the way which you can't get to by road.

Have a great trip.
  3. Rockhammer

Rockhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    50N, 100W, "where the great plains begin..."
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not in Ride Reports.. off to Trip Planning.
  5. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    You might take a look at this ride report for some ideas: Big Dog To Alaska
  6. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Only three weeks? Is this a one-way trip? How far into Alaska are you planning to go? (Hyder, Fairbanks, Prudhoe Bay?)

For reference, I rode from Seattle - Prudhoe Bay - Seattle and it took two weeks of solid on-pavement riding (well, at least when there WAS pavement :D ).

Also, search for "Back Country Discovery Routes" if you really want to focus on off-road stuff. There are routes through WA, OR, ID... I think there are more, but I'm not sure.

For your sake, I hope that this is a one-way trip, else I'd recommend that you start further north or not go so far north. :ricky
  7. RacingGreen

RacingGreen n00b

Oddometer:
    @Dantes Dame - we are shipping the bikes back from Alaska at the end. So yes, effectively one way. Planning on picking up the trail of the rockies road in New Mexico and that spits us out in Wyoming.
    Not sure where we're going in Alaska - all suggestions welcomed - but I guess we'll need to finish up in Anchorage...
  8. -Meanderthal

-Meanderthal Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Need to provide complete info when asking for help.
    Fill out your profile.
    Riding experience?
    Type of bikes?
    Camping/hotels?
    etc

3 weeks off-road from SoCal to Alaska is unrealistic IMO but trying would definitely be an Adventure.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Starting in late May will likely see snow in the high passes. Why Shadow of the Rockies? Why not the Continental Divide Trail? The CDT will take you all the way up and into Canada, but that still is only about a third of the way to Anchorage.
  11. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that its a one-way trip :D

The "cheaters" just go to Hyder, but I hear that it's a dump (I didn't stop when passing by). I guess I'd just stick with going directly to Anchorage, which is a beautiful-enough journey on its own.

I would be wary of starting on the dirt too close to home. It would be a shame to spend more time than intended playing so close to home and then have to push really hard to make your goal.

Personally, I'd take paved backroads at least as far north as Oregon/Washington. If you go north of Vancouver there are some lovely dirt roads that can whisk you up to Whistler.

You should plan for a couple of extra travel days, in case you find yourself with a flat tire or getting held up by bad weather.

[​IMG]
  12. RacingGreen

RacingGreen n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everyone's feedback...

@Holkster - we're riding DRZ400's - to my understanding we will have little option but to camp a large portion of the way if we want to hit the best passes.
    All three of us are experienced riders - we're in our early 30's and ride pretty hard - last year we rode the three highest Himalaya passes in India up through Ladack and Leh.

@Strong Bad - Doesn't the CDT incorporate some of the Shadow of the Rockies? At the end of the day we just want as much trail riding as we can get, as any highway driving on the 400's is just a waste.

@DantesDame - Thanks - I agree that Hyder is a cheat, although have little interest in going as far as DeadHorse - as that sounds like total dump as well - I think we'll hit up Anchorage and then do some rides to Kodiak etc and take it all in.
    I agree maybe we need to start a little further up - it's just beginning to dawn on me exactly how far we're going to have to travel in just under 4 weeks!
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I have no idea if Shadow includes CDT, Shadow is a route that Sam documented (and I'm pretty sure you pay for), CDT GPS tracks are free and abundant. The CDT is an easy off road trek on dirt roads. I figured that with the huge amount of distance in as little time as you have, you would see more back country on Forest Service dirt roads than on single track trails. If you want hard core trails, then I would suggest more along the lines of Jerry Counts (Countdown) Great Western Trail (also free) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920759.
  14. jared p

jared p Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if you get to anchorage at least get to seward and homer as well, it'd only add a day yet add some beautiful scenery
  15. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    The trail to Kodiak will be wet that time of year. ;)

John
  16. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    No cheating at all involved with going to Hyder, it is just the left behind US slum of Stewart BC =)
    But , seriously , you are missing out some great scenery by not taking 37A west off the Cassiar Highway into Stewart and Hyder with great scenery at roadside with mountains and glaciers. From Hyder ride North into BC AGAIN to see the wonderful vistas of the Salmon Glacier and several others . You will need to retrace back to the Cassiar unless you get dispensations from the mine company working at the end of the road ( someday they may have a north connection to the Cassiar )
  17. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Once you're in AK, from Tok, where I like to eat at Fast Eddie's and camp at http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com/, head towards Glenallen then to Valdez, known as "the Switzerland of AK. Outside of Valdez you go thru Thompson Pass, where World Extreme everything has been held, then thru Keystone Canyon that's only wide enough for the river and hwy with 600ft cliffs on each side and waterfalls coming down. On your way there or back go to Chitna and then the 60mi dirt road into McCarthy/Kennicott. All very very impressive areas!

Once back in Glenallen the road down to Anchorage is beautiful and one of MY faves or you could head north to Paxon and the dirt ride across the Denali Hwy (fave of many other riders) to Cantwell. Then down to Talkeetna where you could do a fly in trip to Denali and land on a glacier if you wish.

Then on down to Anchorage. Free camping at our Harley shop with the great guys of Motoquest Tours across the parking lot.

From Anch go to Seward and take a day long boat trip on Major Marine Tours. LOTS of good restaurants to choose from in Seward too! Homer, a very artsy and lovely community, is another 100mi and that's where you take the ferry over to Kodiak if you want to go there. If you get short of time skip Homer and come on back to Anchorage. 50mi south of Anchorage is Portage where you could go thru the longest dual use tunnel in NA to Whittier and eat at Varley's Seafood Restaurant.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.